By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS dev costs roughly TRIPLE that of DS!

hallowedbeeddie said:

I think it is pretty obvious it will be more expensive, I just hope it doesnt turn devs off.

Um, developers have gotten it into their heads that spending more money is better, not worse.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
noname2200 said:

That shuttering sound you hear is small developer closing up left and right.  Go Game Industry!

It definitely seems inevitable, though i wonder if they're taking near-optimum levels into account (i.e. assume that the average 3DS game will be equal to or greater than the average PSP game in production values, when they could conceivably continue making DS-level games for the new hardware)

otherwise it'll be interesting seeing where some of these developers go. Marvelous is going to have to sell, Nippon Ichi is going to be annihilated (though i'm surprised they haven't collapsed already)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

LordTheNightKnight said:
hallowedbeeddie said:

I think it is pretty obvious it will be more expensive, I just hope it doesnt turn devs off.

Um, developers have gotten it into their heads that spending more money is better, not worse.

I know, but some small devs that have made ds games might not be too happy. ds was great for small devs because of low costs

hallowedbeeddie said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
hallowedbeeddie said:

I know, but some small devs that have made ds games might not be too happy. ds was great for small devs because of low costs

Well there is nothing that says they have to up the costs of their games to match a typical 3DS game. Some got smart and still kept the costs low, even on downloadable games on the HD systems.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

So its still cheaper than PSP? Whats the problem then?

PSP2 dev. must be ALOT more in comparrison.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

three times zero is still zero :kiss:

Since (roughly) the SNES generation, every new generation of hardware has resulted in development cost increases of 2 to 4 times the previous generation's development costs. The core reasons for this increase is that there is more work required to produce a single graphical asset and there are more graphical assets required to produce the higher detailed graphics associated with each generation.

Handheld games have (generally speaking) had much lower development costs than console games because the hardware is a couple of generations behind consoles, new tools and better procedures make creating graphical assets (at those quality levels) less time intensive, and handheld games are generally much smaller in scope than home console or PC games; but from generation to generation the costs associated with creating a handheld game have increased between 2 and 4 times what the previous generation's development costs were.

The 3DS having increased development costs isn't that much of a surprise, but I suspect a lot of developers will avoid having to deal with that by producing more traditional sprite based games rather than push the limit of the 3DS.

hallowedbeeddie said:

I hope it turns off the ones that want to develop shit games. Looking through a pile of Wii and DS games at stores can be disappointing.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

One has to remember that we are comparing current gen platforms to a next gen console.

The 3DS' dev costs are probably much lower that those of the PSP2/Super Wii/720/PS4.  Just the gap won't be as big as this gen.

Well it could very well mean that we'll see less shovelware for the 3DS. Definitely would not like to see shovelware with tacked on not even 3D effects.