By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS dev costs roughly TRIPLE that of DS!

MaxwellGT2000 said:

That was obvious, though I want to know other than GTA CTW what game cost £330,000 to make on the DS... that's a bit excessive for your average DS title but CTW was a big game.

Considering that FFVII on PS1 costed whopping 30 million dollars to make surely there are some games on DS that costed at least over million to make. DQIX is probably the most expensive. Of course most DS titles are cheap to make but like with every system there are also games that cost a lot of money.

Around the Network

Marvelous Entertainment may be struggling with the Wii, DS and PSP (they recently broke into the HD market as well with Deadly Premonition and No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise. Very doubtful those were profitable). But going over to 3DS development is only going to take them to bankruptcy a lot faster.

The shareholders at Marvelous should just sell off their company to be honest. If you can't hack it on the DS and PSP, what other options you have? There needs to be a whole lot of consolidation in Japan (and in the west for that matter. Struggling Indie devs like Ninja Theory and Realtime Worlds are destined for bankruptcy). You have all these little companies releasing gazillions of niche Japanese games. Fans of these games can't dream of playing them all. So many are going to be overlooked and sell poorly.

Zlejedi said:
KillerMan said:

Compare those prices to PS3 or X360 developing costs and you know why japanese publisher are almost the only ones making profits... Those are pocket money compared to HD console developing costs.

Ok let's compare them.

Sniper Ghost Warrior was developed for around 250k Euros for pc and x360 version together.

That's a big exception, although considering it sold half a million, it made a lot more profit than many other HD system games did.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

KillerMan said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

That was obvious, though I want to know other than GTA CTW what game cost £330,000 to make on the DS... that's a bit excessive for your average DS title but CTW was a big game.

Considering that FFVII on PS1 costed whopping 30 million dollars to make surely there are some games on DS that costed at least over million to make. DQIX is probably the most expensive. Of course most DS titles are cheap to make but like with every system there are also games that cost a lot of money.

This is very true, development costs always escalate with new technology, it'd be interesting to see the leap of GBA dev costs to DS or even PSP since the leap in technology is closer to GBA to PSP than GBA to DS.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

It's normal that at the beginning of a generation, the costs are way higher than the precedent generation. You need to develop new tools, engines, the studios are not familiarized with the hardware... In two or three years, the production cost will go down, and if £375,000 to £1.1 million is a lot of money, then compare this with the costs of the HD consoles.

Around the Network
KillerMan said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

Not necesarrily. As time goes on it becomes cheaper and cheaper to develop games for similar hardware as methods are refined. FF7 cost 30 million in the 90s to make, probably a fraction of that now.

Thats what one of their titles cost to make. Im sure someone like Capcom could easily spend $5M on a Resident Evil or Konami the same for a Metal Gear Solid title.

Tease.

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*

I think it is pretty obvious it will be more expensive, I just hope it doesnt turn devs off.

That shuttering sound you hear is small developer closing up left and right.  Go Game Industry!