By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS dev costs roughly TRIPLE that of DS!

Well, this shouldn't be a surprise is 3DS = 3 * DS.  Come on, it's simple math!

Around the Network
Crazymann said:

Good pun, my man.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Crazymann said:

Good pun, my man.

hahaha....

Yeah, that's a fair jump in cost.  But that's compared to DS development now.  But how much did DS games cost to make in 2004?

I'm not a hardcore gamer.  I'm not a casual gamer.  I'm a gamer.

KillerMan said:
jarrod said:
darthdevidem01 said:

thats ALOTTA money

I think portable devs could benefit from perhaps making PSP2/3DS multiplat titles.....

PSP2 is rumored to be around 360 spec... 3DS/PSP1 or 3DS/Wii probably makes more sense if anyone wants to go multi.  

Expect that it's impossible currently to match X360 in portable form. Too much heat and power usage. Also I severely doubt that Sony wants to make ''$599'' mistake again. Those rumors should be taken with grain of salt.

Not match, but be within the same rough class of hardware.  PSP came nowhere near matching Xbox or Wii (or even PS2 really), but it was still a comparable piece of kit overall, closer to them than it was to DS.

Around the Network

Does this mean less imagine games?, maybe, I hope so...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

dev costs the reason why this gen console wise will last till 2015, unless nintendo becomes mean and releases their console, obliging sony and ms to respond.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

So wait...

It's still going to be cheaper then PSP development?

It's not like PSP games retail high. 

menx64 said:

Does this mean less imagine games?, maybe, I hope so...

Yes, it means fewer imaginative games, because high dev costs discourage new studios and risky new IPs in favour of large publishers and established franchises.

Yeah, I know that's not what you meant. I just can't help but wonder... Would Scribblenauts have ever been made if it was launched in the age of the 3DS?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

That's still pretty cheap tbh.