By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Nintendo DS: Will it surpass the GBA in America?

What are your thoughts on this? I'm not so sure it will.

Around the Network

Interesting question, Grandmaster. I think it won't -- I also don't think it will pass the PS2, which shoudl be obvious, since the PS2 is the best selling system in the history of America.

I do think it's likely the DS will eventually outsell the PS2's LTD, but this will be on the strength of overwhelming popularity in Japan and Europe. The DS is making up for lost time now (it's selling better than the GBA or PS2 were at this time in their lifespan in America), but it got off to such a slow start I don't think it can ever reasonably catch up.

In short, I pick America, no -- overall, yes. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Hmmm....41,233,402? Nah, it won't make it. Maybe 35 million tops.

I think Others might actually be the DS's biggest market when all is said and done. I can't see the Japan numbers rising too high above 30 million as the country only has about 130 million people...

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

My guess is it will.

The GBA only had 4 years on the market without the DS, remember.

So while the GBA had a stronger start the DS will probably stay for one or two years more - additionally it is selling better than the GBA at the respective point in its life now.

Nintendo didn´t even drop the price once - if they cut the price in 2008 the DS could very well keep selling on this rate. After 3 years the GBA was at 99$ I think...

Let's see. There are 2 DSes, 1 Wii, 1 PS3, and 1 Gamcube in my house.
It is very likely another DS will be purchased very soon.

Based on that stats, I will go ahead and predict DS will beat all the other consoles, including PS2 (which at one time, was part of my household).

Around the Network

I think it's rather obvious that it'll outsell the
GBA for it is the fastest selling handheld/console in history...

THE NETHERLANDS

I'm not sure. The DS is selling very well everywhere, but the US is its weakest market, and the GBA was incredibly popular there. In the end I think it'll depend on how long the DS is kept on the market, since sales probably won't go down too much before the successor is announced.

The GBA did incredibly in USA, i mean before the DS and PSP it was tracking ahead of the PS2.

I still say yes, but it will be really close.... probably end up nearer, but not over PS2 sales.

WW i reckon it will surpass both. [GBA WW sometime next year]

I think DS is going to have a very long, very healthy run. The price has only been dropped once, temporarily... So right now it's closing in on 1/2 of PS2's LTD WW with no real price drop!!!

DS will hit about 20 million in America by year end, and it could go on to sell another 10 million next year. Even if Nintendo cuts the DS' price next year, they aren't going to launch a successor only a year after their first price cut! So DS' successor is coming in 2010 at the earliest. And DS will keep selling for at least a year after it's successor comes out.

So I have little doubt that DS can pass GBA.

The next question is PS2, which will hit 50 million in shipments to America... DS may need more mega-software like Nintendogs/Brain Age/Pokemon/NSMB to make a run at 55 million or more. But I think that's entirely possible.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

No, it has psp taking some sales from GBA owners.

mM