By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Nintendo DS: Will it surpass the GBA in America?

I think there is still a lot of room to grow in the USA. Nintendo has not aggressively marketed the DS as heavily as Europe. If they do, the DS could take off like it did in the UK, except on a much larger scale.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
No, it has psp taking some sales from GBA owners.

GBA owners loved games, and the PSP is barely selling software.  So this doesn't make any sense.

I think the DS will overcome the GBA in America because so far we've only seen its sales get stronger and stronger.  This is a guess, of course, because we don't know Nintendo's strategy, but the DS could clearly drop in price when sales slow.  Consider that Nintendo is sitting pretty with high profits on hardware, sales that are out of control, and stronger third party support every quarter.

This suggests the future is very, very bright for the DS.  There will probably be another DS redesign before it is all over with, the final price will be below $100 (probably significantly below), and Nintendo will continue to sell these things like hotcakes for at *least* another 4 years. 

20 million to go is a lot, but can be achieved. i doubt within 2 years though....

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

hard to say, but IF Nintendo can keep it out for another 2 years without an succesor. It all depends on how much the will sell during the holiday seasons and if they can keep the demand high during the slow months. A price drop to 99 USD can help a lot.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

leo-j said:

Maybe Nintendo is (gasp!) expanding on that GBA audience!

I'm sure Nintendo are flattered that you think GBA sold to every single potential customer, though.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

Nintendo has said that they want to start lenghtening the lifespan of their gaming systems- I believe that handhelds are a a point where graphics really don't need to be better. Look at the PSP it has PS2 esque graphics and most of its games sell like crap. There is not point to having amazing graphics on a 4-5 inch screen, you would not be able to see it. What I do believe will happen is we will see the DS with a GB esque lifespan (GB, GBL, GBC) we will see a least one more significant improvement to the DS probably in about 3 years. Battery life will be increased, better screen, new features, not a new system... Nintendo realizes it is not good for them to have to restart their userbase every 4-6 years, With the Wii and DS they want to have 7+ years before they realese a new system. Now we have to wait and see if the gaming populace can get used to the fact that gaming machine will have longer life cycles.

Seriosly, have you looked at GT5's pics, what is the point of making a game look better than that- There needs to be a difference between gaming and reality, or esle there is no escape-

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

i dont think it will. i do think that the 360 will outsell ps2 sales in america. 360 is extremely popular in america. it sounds abit ambitious but i think its achieveable.

leo-j said:

so psp is taking buyers away from extensive GBA userbase but all 120 million ps2 users are still waiting to upgrade to ps3?

Right.... 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

DOATS1 said:
i dont think it will. i do think that the 360 will outsell ps2 sales in america. 360 is extremely popular in america. it sounds abit ambitious but i think its achieveable.

You think the 360 is going to outsell the PS2 lifetime sales in America?  That's just crazy talk!

DOATS1 said:

That's an ambitious prediction, almost a John Lucas. 360 should have just over 10 million before 2008 starts... That is just over 2 years for 10 million... So to get to 50 mil would be incredible. 'Tizney gonna happen I dunt think.