By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Overrated games .... are Overrated

Super Mario Galaxy is no where near to being overrated.

Super Mario 64 on the other hand is probably the most overrated Mario game.

"To play or not to play, that is the question."- A wise man

Lifetime sales prediction

Wii 79/150 million

Xbox 360 47.7/73 Million

PS3 43.6/69 Million

Around the Network
Reasonable said:
vlad321 said:
Reasonable said:
vlad321 said:
Reasonable said:

I think in some cases you're mixing up the context of overrated with personal preference.  For example it would appear a vast majority of critics and gamers agree Uncharted 2 is fantastic.  I don't think you could argue that its overrated from that start point - simply that your opinion is different.

On the other hand there is a far larger, and more compelling, view that in hindsight GTAIV was overrated.  I'm not saying it was, but I could see the context being more suitable in that case.

Basically, being in a minority who doesn't like somehting as much as others doesn't render the thing overrated - you need a larger groundswell to support that kind of claim.

That is not exactly true though. The same rules apply to video games as any other form of entertainment such as movies, books, etc.

As such think about it, there are millions and millions of people, and critics, who drool over The Dark Knight. However it is still not a god movie, very ejoyable yes, but not good. If you don't agree with that, then look at Twilight. Same thing.

For books I have to bring up Twilight again. It has sold millions and garnered lots of praise, yet are you willing to come out and say it's a good, well written book? What about Harry Potter?

The problem is that it seems that video gamers seem to be too naive, ignorant, immature, just plain old stupid, or a combination of a few of those to realize the difference between entertaining and good. I think the fault lies that video games are such a young entertainment medium that most people still can't see the difference between the two.

Not sure I get your points.  I haven't read Twilight but I thought it got critically mauled  and was rated as just for a core fanatic demographic - that's not overrated that's popular despite ratings.

I mean I think you see the same stuff everywhere - not just videogames - is that your point?  If so then yes I agree.  You'll get people grumbling Harry Potter is overrated or whatever.

Well let's work with Harry Potter then, many people say it's a good read and an entertaining book, however how many are willing to step out and say that it's a well written piece of literature?

My point is that people can't differentiate between something that's of good quality and something that isn't but can entertain.

Okay - got you.  Yup.  I do figure a lot of people struggle with something they like or is entertaining but isn't necessarily critically good vs something is both critically good and entertaining.  I've always assumed part of the problem is how informed people are in general.

Ok so we agree on that point. The problem I find in video games is that it has grown very fast too quickly. It would be like someone starting to watch movies at around 2000 and skipped everything beforehand. For such a person, I would agree that The Dark Knight would be one amazing movie. Same for video games, I see why someone who has started recently playing video games might think all these games are just of good quality, on top of being entertaining.

Video games just aren't mature enough and the audience boom they felt has impacted them more negatively since people don't know how to differentiate between a  simply fun game, and a good game that's fun. Hence the feeling of games being overrated so much since thie generation started.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

I consider most of the games you listed to my favorite games of the generation. 

I think you should just play for fun and you'll probably enjoy those games. If you don't, then you must have a unique taste in games.

What are you favorite games of this gen? I want to see what sort of taste you have.

Severance said:
Barozi said:

You have the worst taste of all the people I've ever seen.

says the guy with a force unleashed avatar

which resembles the coolness of the main character, the great first game and my anticipation of the second one.

Not necessarily my view one the second game which I didn't play yet. (mainly because of the reviews)

Around the Network

Absolutely disagree with OP.

If you dislike all those games, this game should be the one you like the most:

ishiki said:
Mirson said:

I have, and I thought MGS4 was terrible. It's my most disappointing game this gen. I feel like going into a small rant, and there will be spoilers.

MGS4 is a narrative trainwreck. The story is terribly written and poorly paced, and the cutscenes drag on. Some of the cutscenes have unnecessary events, and they're filled with repeated lines. Every hole is filled with nanomachines, and then it goes on to explain this horrific twist. Also, it tacks on some cliche and unbelievable romance (Otacon and Naomi), and Otacon crying over a one night stand is hilarious. Then, Drebin tells you the B&B Corps' backstory after they've died. When you confront them, you know nothing about them. They didn't play a role in the story unlike Foxhound and Dead Cell. Why would I want to know their story after they died? This is just lazy writing.

Lastly, the game rewards you for killing, and it doesn't compel you to conserve ammo (Drebin Points). Ran out of ammo during a boss fight? No problem. Just press start and buy some. There's more I can go on about like Akiba and Zero, but I'll stop for now.

i agree with you on every point. Except that I still loved that game (Much Less so than MGS1,2 and Peace Walker [I'm not including 3 :OOOOOOOOOOO] haha) ... because it was still really fun for me for some reason even the second time when I skipped the cutscenes. even with all the problems it had.

The controls were great, much better than its predecessors, but some of the new features kind of ruined the gameplay for me. Also, some action-sequences didn't do for me like the motorcycle scene. I didn't get hit once, and I was terrible at it the first run. At least a few boss fights were solid (no pun intended). MGS4 pretty much taught me to never get hyped-up for a game, because you will only end up disappointed. Though, good for you that you enjoyed the game. Still need to get Peace Walker.

I'm also one of the many that wasn't impressed with FFX-2. The dialogue killed it for me: "disasteriffic" "poopie". Also, the game was pretty easy; I mostly spend the entire time pressing X. Though, it did have quite a few interesting concepts like the dressphere and mission-based.