By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Overrated games .... are Overrated

Chairman-Mao said:
Severance said:
Chairman-Mao said:

Wow I feel bad for you. That's all I have to say.

I stopped reading after the Resistance one.

I could pretty much write a counter argument for each game on that list (that I've played) but why bother.

do it!

lol all right I'll give it a go, I can only do it for the games I've played though. Some (ie Gears of War) I agree with you on.

you failed at giving it a go already lol.

Around the Network
Severance said:

Uncharted 1/2

Gears Of War 1/2

Resistance 1/2

Call of Duty MW / MW2 / WaW / BO

Fallout 3 / New Vegas

GTA IV

Red Dead Redemption

Assassins Creed 1/2

Killzone 2

Uncharted 1/2: They are both amazing games BECAUSE they play out like great hollywood movies like Indiana Jones. They have great characters, cool (but not overly original) storyline, and fun locations. It is also a great mix of platforming/puzzle solving and of course shooting. And how could someone not mention the great graphics and framerate when talkin about these games?

Gears 1/2: I completely agree with you. Didn't like them at all.

Resistance 1/2: Unique enemies, unique weapons, great online multiplayer (at least in the first one, can't speak for R2). Now I'll admit R2 was a lot worse but Fall of Man was awesome! It had a good story in my opinion kind of a science fiction alternate history thing going which was fun. For me its the cool weapons and enemies that makes this game great.

Call of Duty: Okay I'm not going to try and defend the single player campaigns in the slightest, they are what they are. Call of Duty is all about online multiplayer and that's what most of the millions of people buy it for. CoD4 revolutionized online gameplay with custom classes, perks, killstreaks, and overall great gameplay. World at War and MW2 weren't amazing but had some good elements, but Black Ops is looking amazing so far and is almost CoD4 quality IMO.

Fallout 3/New Vegas: Amazing games. Oblivion was the first RPG I ever played extensively and since then I've loved Bethesda RPG's. Fallout 3 and New Vegas are amazing. Sure they have bugs but they aren't gamebreaking and the worlds are so vast it would take years to make it with no bugs at all. They are so fun because of how much there is to do and you can play for literally hours without doing a single mission in the main quest.  The voice acting is great and the scripts are very good and very funny at some points. I think New Vegas was a step back from Fallout 3 but still a great game.

GTA4: Not a bad game, but I agree its over-rated.

Red Dead: I never actually beat it (my disk somehow disappeared) but I played it a fair bit and I think it was a really fun game. I will say its basically just GTA Wild West but the new setting is fun and the characters are great. I'm not gonna defend this game a ton though cause I do think its somewhat over-rated too.

Assassin's Creed: While they are very repetitive games I think they are very unique and fun. The climbing is good, the assassinations are fun and the overall gameplay is pretty good (the combat system needs work though, I basically got through AC1 just holding block and then hitting counter whenever someone tried to strike me). I'm not in a hurry to go replay AC1 (never beat AC2) because of how repetitive it was but still fun games.

Killzone 2: I think it was a fun game with amazing graphics but I do agree its fairly over-rated. They did good things with the multiplayer but overall after playing it for a while I went back to Call of Duty.

So basically I agree with you that Killzone 2, Red Dead, GTA and Gears are over-rated. Assassin's Creed wasn't rated super high anyways so I think its just abour right.

But I do disagree when you say CoD (especially CoD4), Uncharted, Fallout and Resistance are over-rated.

Sounds like the OP doesn't like video games.

severance... I'm obviously not against you, I agree with you most of the time. And some of the stuff in this thread.

but, is this what pullus pardus used to do to the forum? haha

Fully agree with you, but I can't judge RDR since I havent had the time to get into it. Also Halo. I can count the number of good games since this gen started on my fingers.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
Reasonable said:

I think in some cases you're mixing up the context of overrated with personal preference.  For example it would appear a vast majority of critics and gamers agree Uncharted 2 is fantastic.  I don't think you could argue that its overrated from that start point - simply that your opinion is different.

On the other hand there is a far larger, and more compelling, view that in hindsight GTAIV was overrated.  I'm not saying it was, but I could see the context being more suitable in that case.

Basically, being in a minority who doesn't like somehting as much as others doesn't render the thing overrated - you need a larger groundswell to support that kind of claim.

That is not exactly true though. The same rules apply to video games as any other form of entertainment such as movies, books, etc.

As such think about it, there are millions and millions of people, and critics, who drool over The Dark Knight. However it is still not a god movie, very ejoyable yes, but not good. If you don't agree with that, then look at Twilight. Same thing.

For books I have to bring up Twilight again. It has sold millions and garnered lots of praise, yet are you willing to come out and say it's a good, well written book? What about Harry Potter?

The problem is that it seems that video gamers seem to be too naive, ignorant, immature, just plain old stupid, or a combination of a few of those to realize the difference between entertaining and good. I think the fault lies that video games are such a young entertainment medium that most people still can't see the difference between the two.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Reasonable said:

I think in some cases you're mixing up the context of overrated with personal preference.  For example it would appear a vast majority of critics and gamers agree Uncharted 2 is fantastic.  I don't think you could argue that its overrated from that start point - simply that your opinion is different.

On the other hand there is a far larger, and more compelling, view that in hindsight GTAIV was overrated.  I'm not saying it was, but I could see the context being more suitable in that case.

Basically, being in a minority who doesn't like somehting as much as others doesn't render the thing overrated - you need a larger groundswell to support that kind of claim.

That is not exactly true though. The same rules apply to video games as any other form of entertainment such as movies, books, etc.

As such think about it, there are millions and millions of people, and critics, who drool over The Dark Knight. However it is still not a god movie, very ejoyable yes, but not good. If you don't agree with that, then look at Twilight. Same thing.

For books I have to bring up Twilight again. It has sold millions and garnered lots of praise, yet are you willing to come out and say it's a good, well written book? What about Harry Potter?

The problem is that it seems that video gamers seem to be too naive, ignorant, immature, just plain old stupid, or a combination of a few of those to realize the difference between entertaining and good. I think the fault lies that video games are such a young entertainment medium that most people still can't see the difference between the two.

Not sure I get your points.  I haven't read Twilight but I thought it got critically mauled  and was rated as just for a core fanatic demographic - that's not overrated that's popular despite ratings.

I mean I think you see the same stuff everywhere - not just videogames - is that your point?  If so then yes I agree.  You'll get people grumbling Harry Potter is overrated or whatever.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

ishiki said:

severance... I'm obviously not against you, I agree with you most of the time. And some of the stuff in this thread.

but, is this what pullus pardus used to do to the forum? haha

i'm more tamed now!

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

hikaruchan said:
enrageorange said:

i agree with Gears of War and assassins creed.I would also like to add littlebigplanet, Metal Gear Solid 4, NSMBWii, and Mass Effect 2. LittleBigPlanet was terribly boring, even considering the ridiculous amount of online maps. It probably didn't help that i was extremly hyped for it. NSMBWii was just an average mario platformer. Metal Gear Solid 4 wasn't that good. Gameplay was average, maybe if I cared more for the story I would like it. Mass Effect 2 is good, I just think its more of a high 8s good rather then a high 9s.

Have you played any of the the other MGS Games?

I have, and I thought MGS4 was terrible. It's my most disappointing game this gen. I feel like going into a small rant, and there will be spoilers.

MGS4 is a narrative trainwreck. The story is terribly written and poorly paced, and the cutscenes drag on. Some of the cutscenes have unnecessary events, and they're filled with repeated lines. Every hole is filled with nanomachines, and then it goes on to explain this horrific twist. Also, it tacks on some cliche and unbelievable romance (Otacon and Naomi), and Otacon crying over a one night stand is hilarious. Then, Drebin tells you the B&B Corps' backstory after they've died. When you confront them, you know nothing about them. They didn't play a role in the story unlike Foxhound and Dead Cell. Why would I want to know their story after they died? This is just lazy writing.

Lastly, the game rewards you for killing, and it doesn't compel you to conserve ammo (Drebin Points). Ran out of ammo during a boss fight? No problem. Just press start and buy some. There's more I can go on about like Akiba and Zero, but I'll stop for now.

All games are overrated to someone or the other. Based on that alone I doubt you could disagree much with the OP.

OR...when you see a 9/9.5 review do you expect too much from the game? It happens to me.