By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Overrated games .... are Overrated

MrT-Tar said:

I think the entire FPS genre is wildly overrated

I think Mr. Tar Tar is highly .... jk

Around the Network

i dont really people say games are overrated just because 'they' dont like it, i mean its fine if you dont but you gotta remember that people have different tastes.. but i do agree GTA & COD are overrated, they arent original anymore but yet still they will get perfect review scores and they get alot of hype.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

enrageorange said:

i agree with Gears of War and assassins creed.I would also like to add littlebigplanet, Metal Gear Solid 4, NSMBWii, and Mass Effect 2. LittleBigPlanet was terribly boring, even considering the ridiculous amount of online maps. It probably didn't help that i was extremly hyped for it. NSMBWii was just an average mario platformer. Metal Gear Solid 4 wasn't that good. Gameplay was average, maybe if I cared more for the story I would like it. Mass Effect 2 is good, I just think its more of a high 8s good rather then a high 9s.

Have you played any of the the other MGS Games?

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

What an idiotic post.

PSWii

You should add Twilight princess and brawl to your overrated list. I can't believe those games have more than 70 metascore.

Around the Network
TheConduit said:

What an idiotic post.

because i listed Mario ?

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

im gonna need a rain jacket to protect myself from all the tears pouring in this thread

Check out my video game music blog:

http://games-and-guitars.synergize.co/

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

He who hesitates is lost

No for specifically describing games in a way that makes them sound as bad as you possible could not fairly representing the games true value to gamers and the gaming industry.

For example Halo that did not make your list could be described as:

Series that went from great to good to normal to bad to silghtly better or same,same,same,same and same. Either lacked proper online, lacked proper ending, lacked sufficeint graphics, lacked innovation or lacked Master Chief.

Halo is a great game series but by over simplifying and focusing on the negative I've completely misrepresented the games worth.

Lots of big games have lots of generic elements and you know why? BECAUSE that way they can appeal to a larger audience. And its the 10% difference that makes the difference to these big games.

Plus yes Uncharted was Linear but considering how big of a focus on cinematic moments there were it would have been practically impossible for them to maitain even a fraction of that quality and make the game non-linear. Not all games need to be or should be linear.

PSWii

TheConduit said:

No for specifically describing games in a way that makes them sound as bad as you possible could not fairly representing the games true value to gamers and the gaming industry.

For example Halo that did not make your list could be described as:

Series that went from great to good to normal to bad to silghtly better or same,same,same,same and same. Either lacked proper online, lacked proper ending, lacked sufficeint graphics, lacked innovation or lacked Master Chief.

Halo is a great game series but by over simplifying and focusing on the negative I've completely misrepresented the games worth.

Lots of big games have lots of generic elements and you know why? BECAUSE that way they can appeal to a larger audience. And its the 10% difference that makes the difference to these big games.

Plus yes Uncharted was Linear but considering how big of a focus on cinematic moments there were it would have been practically impossible for them to maitain even a fraction of that quality and make the game non-linear. Not all games need to be or should be linear.

it's an opinion it can't be wrong, it can just be consesusly bad, you could microanalyze it either way. maybe severence was a little severe. he could think god's overrated (among other possibilities), still is choice

And obviously I get along with severence most of the time, not necessarily agree with everything he says here. But yes normally when you don't like a game people have a tendency taking into mostly the negative aspects, because they are being negative (as is the idea of the topic)... like all the FFXIII threads that popped up and are still popping up here. including in this thread.

I think in some cases you're mixing up the context of overrated with personal preference.  For example it would appear a vast majority of critics and gamers agree Uncharted 2 is fantastic.  I don't think you could argue that its overrated from that start point - simply that your opinion is different.

On the other hand there is a far larger, and more compelling, view that in hindsight GTAIV was overrated.  I'm not saying it was, but I could see the context being more suitable in that case.

Basically, being in a minority who doesn't like somehting as much as others doesn't render the thing overrated - you need a larger groundswell to support that kind of claim.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...