By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft: VGChartz uses "polling based methods" to track sales

http://www.gamertagradio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=83732

"We have not announced sales figures for Kinect yet, while these numbers are impressive and favorable for us, I would caution people to rely on figures coming from polling based methods versus actual retail sell-thru like NPD or our internal reporting directly from our retail partners.

I can tell you that we are working hard to keep up with the very high demand for the product, retailers are re-stocking daily."

-----------------------------------------------

*sigh*

Around the Network

*facepalm*

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Haha getting the big dogs attention I see...

So we are to NOT believe VGChartz's numbers, but we are to believe that is costs less than $60 to make one Kinect unit?

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

To be fair I don't think anyone (non admin) on here actually knows how VGChartz get's it's figures...

I doubt VGC could be giving out it's data for free if it was anything but poll based... I've no problem with that though. Infact that is exactly what the VGC methodology page says so er, I don't think Microsoft are saying anything that isn't true here?

Around the Network
Jordahn said:

So we are to NOT believe VGChartz's numbers, but we are to believe that is costs less than $60 to make one Kinect unit?

When did Microsoft endorse the site that estimated the costs of Kinect?  I honestly missed that.

Vgchartz is always hustling. 

Everything is undertracked, everything is overtracked. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Wait we have polls?!?  , who the hell uses those?

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

VGC actually uses "polling based methods".

From
http://www.vgchartz.com/methodology.php

"All sales estimates on VGChartz are arrived at via a number of proprietrary and ever-developing methods:

• Polling end users to find out what games they are currently purchasing and playing
  • Polling retail partners to find out what games and hardware they are selling
  • Using statistical trend fitting and historical data for similar games
  • Studying resell prices to determine consumer demand and inventory levels
  • Consulting with publishers and manufacturers to find out how many units they are introducing into the channel

For all hardware and top 50 software, sales estimates will be arrived at from at least three of the distinct methods listed above to ensure accuracy. For software below the top 50, sales estimates may be arrived at from only one or two of the methods since less data (and time!) is available. For lifetime sales, particularly for games and hardware that have now stopped selling, data can be considered to be very accurate and will be checked against manufacturer shipment data. VGChartz holds no responsibility for the use of our weekly sales estimates – any business decisions made are made at your own risk."

TRios_Zen said:
Jordahn said:

When did Microsoft endorse the site that estimated the costs of Kinect?  I honestly missed that.

They didn't, but they certainly didn't denounce it, leading some to believe the sub $60 while adamately downplaying VGChartz's numbers.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.