By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo trying to figure out ehy Metroid Other M didn't sell

oh great......another thread for everyone to complain about other m. Seriously why can't the game be left alone? Lets not end up like IGN.

Around the Network

Since this comes directly from Nintendo, it matters that they openly admit Other M didn't meet expectations due to the mixed public reception.

It means they'll probably go back to the drawing board for the next Metroid game and that the odds of an Other M 2 in another 2 years is a lot less likely.

What it should mean to fans of the franchise is that they'll simply do better for the next game which will hopefully appeal more to old fans of the franchise and maybe even expand the audience.

Other M had plenty of issues, whether the minority who were willing to ignore them sees it that way or not. The first step in fixing those issues is acknowledging they are there in the first place. And if you don't and see the sales of Other M as also "great" or even "acceptable," the reality is the game underperformed. Nintendo expected better sales. And the sales reflect that quite a few Nintendo fans expected a better game experience.

jarrod said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

It sold worse than the Prime series because it is worse. Not exactly rocket science.

I guess that also holds true for NSMB vs Galaxy.

NSMB is better than Galaxy! But actually I like Other M more than I did the Primes so whatever that means...

Games4Fun said:
jarrod said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

It sold worse than the Prime series because it is worse. Not exactly rocket science.

NSMB is better than Galaxy! But actually I like Other M more than I did the Primes so whatever that means...

It means you have shit taste :P

@ jarrod

2D and 3D Mario are pretty much seperate franchises now. They appeal to different audiences, which is why Nintendo is continuing on with both styles.

jarrod said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

You can#t compare 2D and 3D mario

They are like separate franchises now

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
jarrod said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

I'm afraid you can't compare 2D and 3D mario, they are like seperate franchise...

Oh, right ;)

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

piracy is denifitely a reason, it's easy to pirate on Wii, especially core gamers which is the Metroid audience can pirate more than the casual

back in MP3 release, the piracy on Wii was almost non-existant, but now....

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

You know what i see the problem to be?

This in no way is an attack on american culture, but i think the term 'badass' is too wound up in your culture. I don't know what would make you think samus is a badass, as she's mostly been mute; akin to saying gordon freeman or link are badasses. MOM has actually given her character and made her an actual personality.

/my 2 cents

imo ofcourse

Twilightman on Gametrailers

I'm going to go for the far more cynical reason why it didn't sell: it wasn't another Prime game. Nothing to do with quality, nothing to do with it being story-based, it was simply because it was a radically different design than what most people had known for the past ten years. It shows that for all of gamers' talk of wanting innovation and new ideas, they're still too gutless to try new, risky titles and instead will just bet on the sure thing.

@xcot

That's...actually something that's been bothering me about Western culture more and more lately. Badass is a character trait (though an extremeley SHALLOW one at that) and you can't have a character trait without something BEING A CHARACTER. Samus was nothing more than a Mary Sue, a player proxy that we projected onto. It's the same thing with Gordon Freeman, Master Chief, Marcus Fenix, Commander Shepard, and just about every protagonist in Western RPGs. Even with the characters that DO have 3 dimensional personalities, writers still have made a very bad habit of making them unflappable stoics instead of heroic underdogs. It's probably why I like more characters from Japanese games than I do from Western games, I just found them to be more well-rounded. Plus last time I checked "wimps" don't shove their arm cannons into space dragons' mouths or fish lava monsters out of magma.

The game is great, lots of people here just ignore good games obey metacritic.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.