By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo trying to figure out ehy Metroid Other M didn't sell

LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
ksv said:

It didn't sell because Sakamoto is an idiot, and Nintendo are idiots for thinking that adding cutscenes and a story a 9-year old could have written will make the "hardcore" want the game.

In fairness, the story seemed on par with about every big budget "hardcore" JP action game I can think of.  For some reason people can let the campy plots, awkward scripts, and bad acting slide in stuff like Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Dead Rising, etc, etc... but Other M's really gotten raked over the coals for it.  And really, it's narrative is no worse than any of those.

The game really felt like a AAA HD game (in SD) to me.  The story was practically RE in space, hell even the creepy over the shoulder exploration segments gave me RE4 flashbacks.

But the games had those from the beginning (or since the Ninja Gaiden reboot). Metroid has not.

Other M is essentially a reboot itself.  It's the first 3D Metroid from Sakamoto, a high budget collaboration... it's kinda not all that much different from going from Metal Gear to Metal Gear Solid or Ninja Gaiden NES to Ninja Gaiden Xbox.

I wish Treehouse had been allowed to a more active role.  I think they could've definitely salvaged things.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jarrod said:
ksv said:

It didn't sell because Sakamoto is an idiot, and Nintendo are idiots for thinking that adding cutscenes and a story a 9-year old could have written will make the "hardcore" want the game.

In fairness, the story seemed on par with about every big budget "hardcore" JP action game I can think of.  For some reason people can let the campy plots, awkward scripts, and bad acting slide in stuff like Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Dead Rising, etc, etc... but Other M's really gotten raked over the coals for it.  And really, it's narrative is no worse than any of those.

The game really felt like a AAA HD game (in SD) to me.  The story was practically RE in space, hell even the creepy over the shoulder exploration segments gave me RE4 flashbacks.

But the games had those from the beginning (or since the Ninja Gaiden reboot). Metroid has not.

Other M is essentially a reboot itself.  It's the first 3D Metroid from Sakamoto, a high budget collaboration... it's kinda not all that much different from going from Metal Gear to Metal Gear Solid or Ninja Gaiden NES to Ninja Gaiden Xbox.

I wish Treehouse had been allowed to a more active role.  I think they could've definitely salvaged things.

That's not true. Those series last had games during the 5th generation (save for the SNES NG Trilogy). Skipping a generation or so allowed the audience to accept major changes. So Prime was more like those things, while this game was a major change in the same generation.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs