By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Genres that the Wii will own?

RTS games

sports games

possibly FPS games

Around the Network

Right now? First person shooters. Thats the only genre that i felt would benefit from MD. The main issue I had with FPS was at points aiming, the MD may solve this by making aiming fast and more accurate.

Predicting the Future - 360 Will get to 11 Million in the USA this year!!

Predicting the Future - Wii will NOT win this gen in America!!

Prediciting the Future - The PS3 will pass the Wii by 2009!!

This is a good topic because I've been wondering what types of the games that the Wii will actually do better, not just which games are more fun because you get to move. 

First of all, I want to point out bowling and pool are not games that are sold seperately unless they are budget games, so I don't think it matters that the Wii can dominate those.  The sixaxis could do those, though, even if it wasn't as comfortable to hold.  Golf and swings in baseball count here as well.

Anyone that has played FPSs a lot on both the PC and Console know that a mouse and keyboard is faster and more accurate, so I've been very curious if someone can get this right on the Wii.  I'm curious how accurate it can be, though, since TV size and sensor position is not taken into account.  If calibrations were included with this information entered in (TV size and sensor position) so the sensors could take that information into account, I think the accuracy problem could be solved.

Btw, Narfer, most FPSs that I've played don't have auto-aim, but that may be because I prefer PC FPSs due to the controls.  Consoles need auto-aim more, for sure. 

RPG's... NOOOOO WAY RPG's are about pretty summons and spells, pretty lands and locations etc to me, I think they will be better on 360 or PS3, I can't wait for Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata and the next Grandia game!!

OriGin said:
RPG's... NOOOOO WAY RPG's are about pretty summons and spells, pretty lands and locations etc to me, I think they will be better on 360 or PS3, I can't wait for Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata and the next Grandia game!!

Other than the FF series and a few others what RPG's relied on awesome graphics? RPG's can be easily done on weaker systems, as the PS2's dominance of the genre showed.  I think RPG's mainly need a large install base since outside of Japan it's not the biggest of genres.  Generally speaking as one system gets a larger install base and more RPG's then the RPG gamers will focus on that one system causing even more to be made for it.  Also, because of its popularity in Japan any system that dominates there would get more RPG's than the others.  I don't think motion controls or graphics are a major selling point, this is a genre that started off as text only games after all.

Around the Network

I think over the time that graphics have become a much bigger selling point for RPG's than other genre's, because they are mainly story based and battle based and exploration based... no actions and other stuff can really enhance the game play further that is why I personally prefer the pretty RPG's... some of my favourite moments in gaming have come during some RPG's when I have discovered a new land and just seen how beautifully it has been designed... some of these first came about during Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, then Grandia 2, then Skies of Arcadia, then FF12 (i skipped from 9 - 12), DQ8 and Kingdom Hearts.

I wish more J RPG's were on PC so I wouldn't have to buy a 360 for Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata :( :( :(

BTW did people see news about the Naruto RPG on 360 with full cell shaded graphics looks TOUGH

ALSO more on topic I think Wii will own sandbox games (after playing godfather i make this decision) and sports games more than anything else.

Plus simple fun games from Nintendo (oh and old school)

- sport games

- RTS

- FPS (wait till  MP3)

-driving

- rebirth of point and click adventure games (my hope) 

Obviously sport- and minigames are better on the Wii. Racing games will give the player a new experience with the wiimote, but other consoles will have good racing games too. I also can think that FPS on the Wii is superior too FPS on other consoles, but the XBOX360 has already good FPS, so they could have the best console-FPS this generation anyways (because FPS-lovers buyed the XBOX). Anyways, I think the controls with a mouse on a PC are better suited for FPS than even a Wiimote. So PC dominates here the consoles. Fighting games can be a badder experience on the Wii. All fighting games I know make massive use of buttons. For RPGs and Adventures there is no difference. Every console makes the job. In fact RPG and adventures are one of the oldest game genres. There were even textbased games in this genre (collosal cave adventure, rogue and nethack).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

benoit said:

- sport games

- RTS

- FPS (wait till MP3)

-driving

- rebirth of point and click adventure games (my hope)

That would be Tizight, the point and click games. Sam and Max was one of the greatest point and click games ever! I'd LOVE to see a game like Sam and Max or Grim Fandango on Wii

Full Throttle 2??