By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Motion Controller Lag Comparison (Wii,Move,Kinect)

WereKitten said:

Apples to oranges.

KZ2's so-called lag is from button pressure to on-screen animation going through a running game loop. Kinect's ~150ms is from input to output going through a libray call simple output loop. You'll have to probably add something like another 70-100ms on top when you measure the same in a real game with rendering, double buffering, running AIs and so on. Pretty much what the OP said, basically.

Also let me say that these raw lag numbers have very little meaning. We organically perceive times and delays very differently depending on our actions and focus. Since my arm movement or footing shifting will last a good fraction of a second, those extra 100ms Kinect takes for full movement detection might very well be not perceived at all, whereas they could be obnoxious when guiding an on-screeen pointer or in discrete sharp actions like a button pressure.

Still: apples, oranges ;)

Actually the most significant difference is whether you're looking for latency or not. In a critical piece like this or for anyone trying to put Kinect through its paces they would be experiencing latency. On the other hand if you're not looking for latency and are just aiming to play the game your feelings of latency would be completely different. Its a critical bias which doesn't reflect real world useage.

PS and I know about the extra game logic on top of Kinect processing. However I cannot say how much is serial and how much is in parallel with Kinect processing.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:

Actually the most significant difference is whether you're looking for latency or not. In a critical piece like this or for anyone trying to put Kinect through its paces they would be experiencing latency. On the other hand if you're not looking for latency and are just aiming to play the game your feelings of latency would be completely different. Its a critical bias which doesn't reflect real world useage.

PS and I know about the extra game logic on top of Kinect processing. However I cannot say how much is serial and how much is in parallel with Kinect processing.

I can't speak for anyone else yet I do notice lag with games that require percision like racing sims for example. Lag has been notice on HDTV for years which thankful most HDTV now has a gaming mode.

P.S As far as motion control lag vs controller lag,  I will notice lag more when the  game is trying to copy my movements.  For example I notice lag in Forza 3 (actually it's active steering) using a steering wheel  that I wouldn't notice  using a  controller.

Damnyouall said:

Apparently this isn't common knowledge, so a new thread is in order.

Hardware Latency:

Playstation Move: 22 milliseconds
Wii Remote: 50 milliseconds
Kinect: 100-150 milliseconds (the cam runs at 30hz=30fps, this alone translates to a minimum of ~100ms lag)

This is the speed at which the hardware reacts; no amount of software tweaking can improve it. Add to this the unavoidable delay caused by the software side: For modern console games, the additional software lag appears to be between 55 and 130ms. Some bad offenders such as GTA IV have even more, around 180ms.

Lowest Possible Total Lag:

Playstation Move: 78 milliseconds
Wii Remote: 105 milliseconds
Kinect: 175 milliseconds

Average Total Lag:
Playstation Move: 115 milliseconds
Wii Remote: 143 milliseconds
Kinect: 218 milliseconds

This is why the lag in Kinect games is much more noticable than for Wii and Move: http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/kinect-latency-tests

Where do you get the 100ms minimum for Kinect? 30fps camera = 33.33ms per frame, just like for move 60fps = 16.67ms per frame.

Was there some testing done that these number came from that you did not reference?

Without a source and with no logical math these numbers appear just made up in an attempt to justify a desired outcome.

Is this including Wii motion plus?? If not that is a silly comparison.

pacman91 said:

Is this including Wii motion plus?? If not that is a silly comparison.

yes, wiimotion plus makes no difference it just boosts the precision, already answered earlier on

Around the Network
FF_Fanatic said:
jarrod said:
FF_Fanatic said:
jarrod said:
ethomaz said:
FAMEL said:

According to that numbers the Move has less lag than Wii Remote, it's funny but everyone (including me) that have a Wii and tries out the Move have a different opinion. Where did you get those numbers?

Supposedly the IR technology on the Wii Remote is much more responsive than a common camera even if the camera captures movement at 60 fps.

Am i wrong with my statement?

Maybe but the Table Tennis for Move is much more reponsible than similar on Wii with Remote Plus... the Wii version doesn't track all movements.

I think it varies by what you're doing, and also software implementation.  PS3 pointer games definitely feel laggier than their Wii counterparts (Time Crisis vs HotD, RE5 vs RE4), and this was roughly explained to me as being due to how Move/Eye processes it's pointer data vs Wiimote/IR.

actually i found the lag to not be noticeable on either HOTD or time crisis and i've played on both, wiiremote is not faster

Well, I'm going mainly off 2nd hand reports and comments from friends, I haven't played both but have been told it's noticeable.   A close friend who's a gun game freak told me it's really apparent in TCRS, especially after TC4 with the Gun.con3.

no he is wrong it's the other way around the guncon is inferior to the move, the lag is TCRS is not noticeable

Eh, no, GC3 is about as good as a lightgun can get off a CRT.  It's the same basic tech (dual IR) Namco and Sega use in modern arcades (though Sega's started using quad IR now), it's far faster and more precise than a single traditional camera that approximates a pointer (which is more or less what Move does, it compiles the bulb position with tilt/yaw data to calculate it's pointer, which is a far more processing intensive solution).  And knowing this guy (longtime arcade freak, can spot 60fps immediately, has nearly every lightgun game ever released) he's most certainly not wrong.

For pointer, it really is GC3 > Wii IR > Move/PSEye.  But again, just for pointer.

By the way, there are several claims that Kinect has a hardware lag of 150ms (just google for it). As soon as we have precise numbers, I'll update the opening post.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Damnyouall said:

By the way, there are several claims that Kinect has a hardware lag of 150ms (just google for it). As soon as we have precise numbers, I'll update the opening post.

what is the hardware latency of a  normal controller like the dualshock ??  do u know?

Rockyb said:
Damnyouall said:

what is the hardware latency of a  normal controller like the dualshock ??  do u know?

Almost the same as Move, that's where the move is impressive.

Squilliam said:

Actually the most significant difference is whether you're looking for latency or not.

No, the only point is whether you act or react. In a game like table tennis, you always see the white ball coming, and after a short while trying, you learn to precompensate because you know what is happening in the next second. You are therefore acting, by learning to precompensate the processing delay of the system. I've seen many people trying table tennis and everybody missed the shots in the first minutes until they automatically precompensated the lag by acting early (lag which was very noticeable for an outside observer, in the range of 250-300ms, but completely irrelevant to the player(s)). Kinect's table tennis, by the way, is a thoroughly enjoyable game - for about 20-30 minutes until you see how very simple and repetitive the game engine is performing.

Now the problem is games where you have to react, or in other words, you don't know what happens in the next second. Say a shooter where an enemy pops up from behind a cover. There is no way to precompensate a reaction with an early action here, because you just don't know. This will be Kinect's achilles heel, but we already knew that, didn't we?