By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Motion Controller Lag Comparison (Wii,Move,Kinect)

ethomaz said:
FAMEL said:

According to that numbers the Move has less lag than Wii Remote, it's funny but everyone (including me) that have a Wii and tries out the Move have a different opinion. Where did you get those numbers?

Supposedly the IR technology on the Wii Remote is much more responsive than a common camera even if the camera captures movement at 60 fps.

Am i wrong with my statement?

Maybe but the Table Tennis for Move is much more reponsible than similar on Wii with Remote Plus... the Wii version doesn't track all movements.

I think it varies by what you're doing, and also software implementation.  PS3 pointer games definitely feel laggier than their Wii counterparts (Time Crisis vs HotD, RE5 vs RE4), and this was roughly explained to me as being due to how Move/Eye processes it's pointer data vs Wiimote/IR.

Around the Network
AussieGecko said:
Doobie_wop said:
AussieGecko said:
Damnyouall said:
AussieGecko said:

Why does a new thread need to be put up if there was 3-4 minimum before kinect was released about the same topic?

So people could accurately compare Wii, PS Move and Kinect before Kinect was released? Awesome.

no the stats were there, the milliseconds dont matter, because guess what milliseconds are a quite small measurement, but as khuutra said the more you play it the less it will matter.

Your really grasping. It's a good article from a well known tech site about the three current motion controllers on the market. If your so bothered by the results then just ignore it and enjoy your game, you don't have to take away the fun from the tech heads who like to debate about this kind of stuff.

not grasping at anything, if this was just about the numbers than ill let it go, but this DOES NOT deserve a new thread as there were threads about Kinects lag to other systems lag before launch. So this is a repeat thread albeit with new information.

Bothered about results? really, I havent read a huge amount of reviews of the systems complaining about the lag of Kinect therefore not fussed about the results, i'll let the "tech heads" discuss this. I just think it was a thinly veiled attempt. I will leave it at that. If it was innocent I apologise.

Just to reiterate the OP innocence, the lag issue came up in this thread:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=119158&page=1&str=362870798#

A few of us were discussing the lag issue with Kinect and other input methods (mainly controller). This info is actually quite nice to have.

jarrod said:
ethomaz said:
FAMEL said:

According to that numbers the Move has less lag than Wii Remote, it's funny but everyone (including me) that have a Wii and tries out the Move have a different opinion. Where did you get those numbers?

Supposedly the IR technology on the Wii Remote is much more responsive than a common camera even if the camera captures movement at 60 fps.

Maybe but the Table Tennis for Move is much more reponsible than similar on Wii with Remote Plus... the Wii version doesn't track all movements.

I think it varies by what you're doing, and also software implementation.  PS3 pointer games definitely feel laggier than their Wii counterparts (Time Crisis vs HotD, RE5 vs RE4), and this was roughly explained to me as being due to how Move/Eye processes it's pointer data vs Wiimote/IR.

actually i found the lag to not be noticeable on either HOTD or time crisis and i've played on both, wiiremote is not faster

I think that Kinect also suffers more lag from the software aswell, since there are way more points that have to be tracked. In all hounesty combined with the lack of any buttons, i find it hard to believe we will ever see any ''core'' games for Kinect, although the targeted casual audience won't be bothered by the lag to much.

Where did you get the 50ms of Wii remote lag from? I've seen the articles on the PSMove, and I understand where the Kinect numbers can come from, but I don't see how the Wii Remote is so much slower than the PSMove. They should be about even, not a factor of 2 away.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
FF_Fanatic said:
jarrod said:
ethomaz said:
FAMEL said:

actually i found the lag to not be noticeable on either HOTD or time crisis and i've played on both, wiiremote is not faster

Well, I'm going mainly off 2nd hand reports and comments from friends, I haven't played both but have been told it's noticeable.   A close friend who's a gun game freak told me it's really apparent in TCRS, especially after TC4 with the Gun.con3.

Squilliam said:
ethomaz said:
Squilliam said:

Not true. The reason why lag is more noticeable with gesture interfaces is that you have to complete enough of the gesture for the software to recognize and interpret the correct movement. Killzone 2 has similar latency to Kinect but I didn't hear anyone else notice it when I bought it up.

Killzone 2 latency is proposital... part of gameplay.
In Killzone 3 Beta changed that and some people are not enjoying.

For me in offline play the lag doesn't matter but in online play will hurts Move, Kinect and Wii Remote.

Kinect latency is also part of gameplay, both kinds. Anyway given the fact that everyone experiences the same latency I don't think it would effect online play given the fact that the same rules are effectively applying to everyone.

Kinect latency is not part of the gameplay, it's a hardware limitation. Kinect lag is not even a problem of completing a gesture, it's a problem of filtering noise and involuntary movements, so it cannot be improved by much. On the other hand if you want a fast KZ2 you can do it because you're not limited by the hardware, but, mind you, you can't have KZ2 on kinect, because you'll add the software lag to the hardware one.

jarrod said:
FF_Fanatic said:
jarrod said:
ethomaz said:
FAMEL said:

Well, I'm going mainly off 2nd hand reports and comments from friends, I haven't played both but have been told it's noticeable.   A close friend who's a gun game freak told me it's really apparent in TCRS, especially after TC4 with the Gun.con3.

no he is wrong it's the other way around the guncon is inferior to the move, the lag is TCRS is not noticeable

nordlead said:

Where did you get the 50ms of Wii remote lag from? I've seen the articles on the PSMove, and I understand where the Kinect numbers can come from, but I don't see how the Wii Remote is so much slower than the PSMove. They should be about even, not a factor of 2 away.

Two sources, one from a Wii Remote programming guide: "To avoid the random state put a delay of at least 50ms between every single byte transmission." http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wiimote and a quote by Rich Hilleman, Creative Director for Electronic Arts who during the Hot Chips symposium in August 2009 commented on the "100ms delay inherent in the Wii remote", which I assume referred to software and hardware. I suppose you could get even more precise numbers if you took the IR scan frequency into consideration (I didn't bother to find that out).

EDIT: Found my third source again: http://www.pitt.edu/~nak54/Wiimote-poster-a4.pdf This is about building a low cost motion capturing system with a Wii Remote, and it says about the hardware: "Latency in acquisition: 50ms"

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

For the games that will be released for Kinect this lag shouldn't be a problem.

As usually I find these threads amusing, switch the situation around where PS3 was slowest and the x360 most responsive and all the so called experts would be fabricating totally contrary "facts" to support their system.