By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Motion Controller Lag Comparison (Wii,Move,Kinect)

nordlead said:

I thought about that when I posted. I dont' know if I even have good enough equipment at home anyways. I think the easiest would be to have the PC control a motor that moves (simply spins would work) the Wii remote. Since it would be a closed loop system I would know exactly when I sent the signal to move the controller and when the controller first responded to being moved. But I don't know how reponsive said motor would be anyways and how much lag that would introduce.

Yep, basically you still need an external observation (such as the camera) to measure and correct out the actuator lag.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Around the Network
nordlead said:

I don't notice any lag on the Wii anyways

Wii's latency is very good, I have no problems with it, either. It's probably below the threshold where it becomes obvious.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Move is pretty good, better than I thought. I always thought it was slower than the Wii Remote. I'm pretty sure the pointer on the Wii is faster though.

ahh, don't want to troll, but i'm not quite sure if all data here is right.

Y'know there might be some misinterpretations with IR/eye-toy VS wii-gyri/Move-gyri etc.

Found that thing (really no trolling, i want to know the truth, so please help!)

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/18/playstation-move-input-latency-analyzed-by-digital-foundry/2

I know it's from march 2010, so very early and with demo, so confusing */*%* ,what's that 133ms Move?

Not satisfied with the research, can't find straight FACTS

Around the Network
AussieGecko said:
Damnyouall said:
AussieGecko said:

Why does a new thread need to be put up if there was 3-4 minimum before kinect was released about the same topic?

So people could accurately compare Wii, PS Move and Kinect before Kinect was released? Awesome.

no the stats were there, the milliseconds dont matter, because guess what milliseconds are a quite small measurement, but as khuutra said the more you play it the less it will matter.

I have kinect and that is true.  I love kinect and it is a good device for when people are over. All my friends love it and especially my women and her friends.  SO YOU WILL GET GOOD POINTS WITH THE LADIES.

Found a second test for move: 113ms

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2805192/the_playstation_move_controller_moves.html

anyone?

ahh, ok just wrong cited, same 133ms (it's with camera and possible LCD lag) from eurogamer

ninty_shareholder64 said:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2805192/the_playstation_move_controller_moves.html

anyone?

Aren't those results exactly in line with the original post?

"Average Total Lag:
Playstation Move: 115 milliseconds"

And you got a measurement at 133ms and one at 113ms. Consider that the error with a 60fps camera is about 17ms and the roughly estimated average looks smack on.

Please consider that what you experience when you're playing is hardware lag software lag ( display lag).

What you measure with a camera is hardware lag software lag (in eurogamers' digital foundry measurements the display lag is known and subtracted).

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:
ninty_shareholder64 said:

anyone?

Aren't those results exactly in line with the original post?

"Average Total Lag:
Playstation Move: 115 milliseconds"

And you got a measurement at 133ms and one at 113ms. Consider that the error with a 60fps camera is about 17ms and the roughly estimated average looks smack on.

Please consider that what you experience when you're playing is hardware lag software lag ( display lag).

What you measure with a camera is hardware lag software lag (in eurogamers' digital foundry measurements the display lag is known and subtracted).

thx

cory.ok said:
welshbloke said:

Lag is a funny beast. I have being playing online for a while now and when I first set out it was actually rather good to have 200ms my game of choice being TFC. I later upgraded my line to ISDN which gave 70-80ms which should of been better but really only equated to faster downloads. The thing is Valve introduced "lag compensation" which was actually for me a royal pain in the arse. I now play TF2 and can obtain sub 20ms which is awesome but I still notice lag but whose lag this is I am no longer sure.

My experiences with Kinect have not rated latency high on the agenda. I probably will not really know what issues I will have until I own and have played with Kinect for a while but ultimately by then I will almost certainly of compensated for the lag.

you have 20 ms ping on the internet? you must be connecting to something very close to you lol, usually when connecting to something you go through 5-15 hops to get there and each hop takes about 10-15 ms lol.  100-150 ms is pretty standard for online gaming.

anyways, its pretty interesting to see that kinect cameras only run at 30 hz, i wonder why they chose it.  perhaps theyre planning a hardware upgrade? lol

150ms ?? The only way I am going to manage to go through enough hops to obtain a ping as high as that would be to play on a US server from the UK even then I would be hoping for something in the region of 80 to 100ms. Like I said I was getting 70-80ms back with my 64k ISDN line. If you are getting 150ms as standard you need to look at your setup because something is wrong.

I still go to LAN parties where that was originally trying to have level playing field now as most people would be playing with some low pings it is now mainly for the social side.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.