By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Motion Controller Lag Comparison (Wii,Move,Kinect)

Damnyouall said:
Khuutra said:

Interesting. I suppose it speaks a lot for our brains' ability to compensate for delay that everything I do with the Wii controller feels instant after I play it for a while...

That, and there's a certain threshold below which we simply don't notice any lag. Of course, lower latency also means you can react faster in a game.

Indeed. By "compensate for delay" I mean that we anticipate delay to which we are accustomed and act earlier than we would otherwise. Split-second reactions, as you rightly point out, cannot be compensated for in the same way.

Around the Network

Not true. The reason why lag is more noticeable with gesture interfaces is that you have to complete enough of the gesture for the software to recognize and interpret the correct movement. Killzone 2 has similar latency to Kinect but I didn't hear anyone else notice it when I bought it up.

Tease.

thranx said:

do you have any sources for those numbers? i couldn't find them on that page

They aren't from the page I linked to. I compiled the data myself from various reliable internet sources and extrapolated from there. The numbers aren't in debate, various tech sites reported them. I know, I'm awesome at secondary research.
If you notice any mistakes, I'll gladly correct them.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Squilliam said:

Not true. The reason why lag is more noticeable with gesture interfaces is that you have to complete enough of the gesture for the software to recognize and interpret the correct movement. Killzone 2 has similar latency to Kinect but I didn't hear anyone else notice it when I bought it up.

Killzone 2 latency is proposital... part of gameplay.
In Killzone 3 Beta changed that and some people are not enjoying.

For me in offline play the lag doesn't matter but in online play will hurts Move, Kinect and Wii Remote.

Squilliam said:

The reason why lag is more noticeable with gesture interfaces is that you have to complete enough of the gesture for the software to recognize and interpret the correct movement

Good point; it's like pulling a long lever to close a contact. Of course this adds to the inherent hardware lag.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

Around the Network

Lag is a funny beast. I have being playing online for a while now and when I first set out it was actually rather good to have 200ms my game of choice being TFC. I later upgraded my line to ISDN which gave 70-80ms which should of been better but really only equated to faster downloads. The thing is Valve introduced "lag compensation" which was actually for me a royal pain in the arse. I now play TF2 and can obtain sub 20ms which is awesome but I still notice lag but whose lag this is I am no longer sure.

My experiences with Kinect have not rated latency high on the agenda. I probably will not really know what issues I will have until I own and have played with Kinect for a while but ultimately by then I will almost certainly of compensated for the lag.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Mr.Metralha said:

those wii remotes figures are the same with or without the motion plus?

yes, because motion plus don't add to the lag, it adds more dimensions.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

welshbloke said:

Lag is a funny beast. I have being playing online for a while now and when I first set out it was actually rather good to have 200ms my game of choice being TFC. I later upgraded my line to ISDN which gave 70-80ms which should of been better but really only equated to faster downloads. The thing is Valve introduced "lag compensation" which was actually for me a royal pain in the arse. I now play TF2 and can obtain sub 20ms which is awesome but I still notice lag but whose lag this is I am no longer sure.

My experiences with Kinect have not rated latency high on the agenda. I probably will not really know what issues I will have until I own and have played with Kinect for a while but ultimately by then I will almost certainly of compensated for the lag.

you have 20 ms ping on the internet? you must be connecting to something very close to you lol, usually when connecting to something you go through 5-15 hops to get there and each hop takes about 10-15 ms lol.  100-150 ms is pretty standard for online gaming.

anyways, its pretty interesting to see that kinect cameras only run at 30 hz, i wonder why they chose it.  perhaps theyre planning a hardware upgrade? lol

ethomaz said:
Squilliam said:

Killzone 2 latency is proposital... part of gameplay.
In Killzone 3 Beta changed that and some people are not enjoying.

For me in offline play the lag doesn't matter but in online play will hurts Move, Kinect and Wii Remote.

Kinect latency is also part of gameplay, both kinds. Anyway given the fact that everyone experiences the same latency I don't think it would effect online play given the fact that the same rules are effectively applying to everyone.

Tease.

Severance said:
Mr.Metralha said:

those wii remotes figures are the same with or without the motion plus?

yes, because motion plus don't add to the lag, it adds more dimensions.

I guess the additional sensors require more data transfer and more processing, but I haven't heard anything regarding additional lag. It's probably miniscule, so no difference.