By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Cambridge Studio working on a "multi million selling franchis"for PS3!

Cambridge Studios Working On “A New Game In A High Profile, Multi-Million Selling Franchise” For PS3
11/08/2010 Written by Joseph Peterson

While it has been rumored for a while that Sony’s Cambridge Studios are working on a PlayStation 3 game, what that title actually is remains unknown, with some people speculating that the developer is working on a new Move game for the casual market. Now, a job listing has emerged that has revealed that Cambridge Studios are working on “a new game in a high profile, multi-million selling franchise”.

The game is most certainly on the PS3 rather than the PSP, with the job requiring applicants to be “experienced in PS3 programming”. But what game could the BAFTA award winning studio be developing? Many would say that the most likely game is a new addition to the MediEvil series, which the developer is most well known for – something that was rumored by PSM3 magazine a couple months back.

However, while Medievil was a classic title that garnered a cult following, it wasn’t a huge success, so calling it a “high profile, multi-million selling franchise” could be a bit of a stretch. Another game the studio is possible working on is The Getaway, initially developed by Sony’s London Studios, the third game in the high selling series was put on hold mid-way through development on the PS3 – could Cambridge Studios have picked up where they left off?

Other large franchises that have yet to hit the PS3 include Syphon Filter, but that game is heavily rumored to be in development by Sony Bend, or Destruction Derby, a UK franchise which had 3 platinum selling games and so could be considered a “multi-million selling franchise”.

What game do you think Cambridge Studios could be working on? Let us know in the comments below.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/11/08/cambridge-studios-working-on-a-new-game/

Around the Network

bump!

Interesting.  They had a bunch of rumors about a new Medievil back in July or so.  It could be that, though that doesn't really fit the multi-million selling criteria, as PSL pointed out.

I doubt it's an IP from another Sony studio.  The only case I can think of of an internal SCE studio working on another studio's IP was Cambridge bringing LBP to PSP, but they were pretty involved in getting Media Molecule set up engine-wise on ps3, so they had a hand in the IP already. 

That and I don't want them working on another studio's IP.  Getting another studio to work on an IP they haven't created has less than stellar results more often than not.  You need the original creators of an IP to help it really shine.  Otherwise, the focus is on captivating what made the original game special (ie, copying the game to a T - a problem with numerous PSP games) rather than taking the formula and making it even better through innovation and imagination.

Whatever they're making, I can't wait to see what it is.  SCE Cambridge are the tech gurus of SCEWWS, providing assistance to both third parties and other first party studios, so whatever they make should really show off what the ps3 can do.  Only Naughty Dog and their involvement with the Ice Team  could probably best Cambridge, despite the fact that Cambridge hasn't actually made a full ps3 title yet.

The studio also had a decent hand in Heavenly Sword's development.  Mostly backend stuff, like engine development.

Uncharted: PSP2

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

LBP 2 for PSP surely?

Around the Network

If you read the original job listing, it's definitely a ps3 game.

They are British so it will be an amazing game!

@munkeh

LBP2 for PSP2

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:

They are British so it will be an amazing game!

@munkeh

LBP2 for PSP2

I say Uncharted and you say LBP!!!

MAYBE BOTH! 0_0 I hope its Uncharted tho, if it's anything like Ghost of Sparta in it's execution it will be EPIC!

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Syphon Filter.

Singstar! :D

Sig thanks to Saber! :D