By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GT5 - Success of Failure? A list of pros/cons

Itll sell, but not half as much as what people here think. Remember this site is full of Sony fans and they tend to hype up things a bit too much, i remember when people were predicting 5 million copies for God of War 3 and look what happened.

Theres really no interest out there for Gran Turismo 5, according to Google trends more people are searching for even Street Fighter than Gran Turismo,  Halo and Call of Duty have several fold the amount of searchs GT has, nobody has any interest in it, the games about a month away and even Tekken is getting more searchs. Assassins Creed is getting double the google hits as GT.

And PS fans think Gran Turismo 5 is gonna sell 10 million copies? when something like MW2 which people are actually do care for hasnt even sold 9 million? i actually find that laughable how deluded people are here.

I can understand that because Microsoft has something like Halo thats sales embarrass that of Killzone, Uncharted, God of War etc PS fans are latching onto Gran Turismo as their last hope. Itll sell but in the end everyone will be gutted.

Around the Network
libellule said:
Michael-5 said:

Userbase is meaningless, but if you really want I can also write that down as a con for why GT5 will sell less then GT1-4. Less PS3's mean less sales right? Did GT3 not outsell GT4 when less PS2's were around? Did GT1 not do the same against GT2? Did MGS4 sell just as well as MGS3? Did GoW3 sell as well as GoW 2? Userbase only matters to purely casual games like Mario Kart (which sold 1/3rd as many units as there are consoles out there on the N64, GCN, and Wii).

You can't apply this logic only to one aspect (GT5P in Japan) and not to others (GT5 total sales), thats just foolish.

You really like to press your opinion as facts don't you?

WE are applying this logic too

GT5 will sell less than the past GT because of the reduced userbase

But YOUR point using GTprologue sales as an argue is pointless considering the almost identical sales between the 2 Prologue despite the HUGE userbase difference (close to 1/10 !!!)

So YOUR point on Prologue is a false claim supported by no data

According to VGChartz there were about 17.8 million PS2's in Japan upon luanch of GT4, and the game ended up selling 1.26 million copies in Japan.

However GT3 was released in Japan when only about 4.4 million PS2's were on the market and it ended up sellin 1.89 million units total.

According to your logic as well as Hus's, this should have been impossible. GT3 was released on a userbase about 1/4th the size, but GT3 still ended up selling about 1.5 times better.

Installbase arguements are meaningless. Halo Reach, MGS4, and GoW3 are recent example proving this (sold as well as their predecessors despite a significantly different install base)

Yes GT5P was released on an install base 1/10th the size, but it also had 3 years to accumulate sales, instead of 1, and didn't have another GT game to take away Prologue sales. The difference in sales is only 7% or so, but the timeframe to sell is A LOT longer.

So this point counts, and is valid, but I will not be putting PS3 having a smaller userbase then PS1/PS2 as a con unless someone can give me a really good reason.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Mummelmann said:
CGI-Quality said:
Mummelmann said:

"A lot of people have changed their gaming habbits and shifted towards FPS or third person shooters, as shown by the amount and popularity of FPS games."

This again? This is the most silly argument I ever hear and it is used solely to disarm the GT franchise and its impact on the market and potential sales. Why would people jump from racing sims to casual shooters (these are the ones that sell the most, after all) like Modern Warfare 2? If you like cars and racing (like me and lots of other people truly do), no amount of shooting will let the gasoline in your blood boil and it simply won't cater to your interest or stem the need for a game with cars in it. Likewise, if you enjoy shooters, would you suddenly abandon them in favor of racing games? No, and this lunacy needs to end, I honestly cannot fathom where anyone would come up with such a ridiculous notion.

Next, people will be telling me that previous Wii Fit players are now jumping in large numbers to Civilization.

The TC is known to bash this game, although at least in here, he tried to be a bit more reasonable about it.

I have to agree with your point though, as I've seen it used against God of War III, LittleBIGPlanet, HEAVY RAIN, Uncharted 2, Forza, and many others. Plenty of games this gen have performed as good as or better than expectations, when pitted against the FPS genre. I suspect GT5 will be no different, selling well in line with previous GT titles (albeit - not as high as GT3), and pushing the entire genre to new heights and expectations.

I think some of the cons are personal matters, but again, I give him props on at least looking to be reasonable about it.

The other points aren't that bad but this one in particular really is. I've seen several users use this as one of the prime reasons why GT5 won't move big numbers, there's also the; "people are buying Forza instead" crowd which at least holds an ounce of merit. Games like Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit won't have any impact either since they are purely arcade racers. The truth is, that racing sims on consoles are few and far inbetween and that makes them all the more treasured, I think.

What does TC mean?

In the OP I did say many of these reasons are likely only going to make a small difference, if any at all. It's a completly subjective list, look at it read it over, I expect people not to agree with many of the points as we all have our own opinion.

I only want to tally a potential list of reasons pro/con.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

CGI-Quality said:
themanwithnoname said:
CGI-Quality said:
Mummelmann said:

"A lot of people have changed their gaming habbits and shifted towards FPS or third person shooters, as shown by the amount and popularity of FPS games."

This again? This is the most silly argument I ever hear and it is used solely to disarm the GT franchise and its impact on the market and potential sales. Why would people jump from racing sims to casual shooters (these are the ones that sell the most, after all) like Modern Warfare 2? If you like cars and racing (like me and lots of other people truly do), no amount of shooting will let the gasoline in your blood boil and it simply won't cater to your interest or stem the need for a game with cars in it. Likewise, if you enjoy shooters, would you suddenly abandon them in favor of racing games? No, and this lunacy needs to end, I honestly cannot fathom where anyone would come up with such a ridiculous notion.

Next, people will be telling me that previous Wii Fit players are now jumping in large numbers to Civilization.

The TC is known to bash this game, although at least in here, he tried to be a bit more reasonable about it.

I have to agree with your point though, as I've seen it used against God of War III, LittleBIGPlanet, HEAVY RAIN, Uncharted 2, Forza, and many others. Plenty of games this gen have performed as good as or better than expectations, when pitted against the FPS genre. I suspect GT5 will be no different, selling well in line with previous GT titles (albeit - not as high as GT3), and pushing the entire genre to new heights and expectations.

I think some of the cons are personal matters, but again, I give him props on at least looking to be reasonable about it.

Where's your proof for such a charge? The only thing I've seen him really say is that he doesn't think it'll outsell Halo: Reach or hit 10 million. I hardly think that constitutes as bashing the game.

If that's all you got from my post, then you're looking for something that's not there. He has a history fo downing the game, sure, but that wasn't the point of the post. If anything, I was defending his position in here. Try not to make everything into a battle.

The first phrase of your post doesn't follow your own advise. If "I'm looking for something that isn't there" why is it there to begin with? Quit trying to turn this back on me; I'm not the one who said it, all I did was ask a question.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

thx1139 said:

Also

-Lack of compedetive racing games on the PS3. NFS, and Midnight Club have lost popularity, and the only other new compeditors are Codemaster's games, and Motorstorm (oniyide)

The real scenario may really be that racing games in general just arent as popular this generation as they were in the past.

Not all racing games have reduced in Popularity. Test Drive Unlimited was one of the best selling Test Drive games, and Forza has grown from a 1m unit franchise to 4 million unit. Also Codemaster racers, and Motorstorm still sell very well, and Mario Kart has jumped in sales like crazy.

If you expand upon this point I will add it, but as it is right now, I can't put it as a con.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
themanwithnoname said:
CGI-Quality said:
themanwithnoname said:
CGI-Quality said:
Mummelmann said:

Where's your proof for such a charge? The only thing I've seen him really say is that he doesn't think it'll outsell Halo: Reach or hit 10 million. I hardly think that constitutes as bashing the game.

If that's all you got from my post, then you're looking for something that's not there. He has a history fo downing the game, sure, but that wasn't the point of the post. If anything, I was defending his position in here. Try not to make everything into a battle.

The first phrase of your post doesn't follow your own advise. If "I'm looking for something that isn't there" why is it there to begin with? Quit trying to turn this back on me; I'm not the one who said it, all I did was ask a question.

Yeah, but your condescending, aggressive tone tells me you're not just curious. You always appraoch me like this, and it's annoying. Since I don't really care to battle with you, and was only speaking from observation (and that was necessary to make my point), I'll pull out here. But as I said, it's not always about a battle.

Can't be more annoying than you trying to label me as condescending or angry every time I quote you, or in this case ask you to clarify a comment, which you still haven't done. I'll leave too, because this is another hilariously typical example of what happens when anybody tries to enter a serious debate with you, or in this case, asks you to put a remark in context.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

CGI-Quality said:

^ ^ I have to agree with that. It's like saying platforming titles won't sell like before because LBP failed to move 10mill , like Mario is known for. Certain franchises have a different selling power than others -

No FPS titles sell like Halo/COD

No Platformers sell like Mario

No Racers sell like Gran Turismo/Mario Kart

No RPGs sell like Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest/Pokemon

No Hack & Slash titles have sold like God of War

Therefore, no other games in the racing genre can indicate what GT5 will do. Certainly no other games in a completely different genre (such as FPS) can indicate that either.

The problem is were comparing GT5 to GT1-4.It's a valid point, and I think GT5 will do well, bu I can't really add this as a pro, or con. It's a very neutral opinion.

lolage said:

2 of your conts aren't even on the game itself but the release date/wait date.

Delays affect sales. Do you think Duke Nukem will be as phenominal as before with all of its delays?

Frieza said:

Itll sell, but not half as much as what people here think. Remember this site is full of Sony fans and they tend to hype up things a bit too much, i remember when people were predicting 5 million copies for God of War 3 and look what happened.

Theres really no interest out there for Gran Turismo 5, according to Google trends more people are searching for even Street Fighter than Gran Turismo,  Halo and Call of Duty have several fold the amount of searchs GT has, nobody has any interest in it, the games about a month away and even Tekken is getting more searchs. Assassins Creed is getting double the google hits as GT.

And PS fans think Gran Turismo 5 is gonna sell 10 million copies? when something like MW2 which people are actually do care for hasnt even sold 9 million? i actually find that laughable how deluded people are here.

I can understand that because Microsoft has something like Halo thats sales embarrass that of Killzone, Uncharted, God of War etc PS fans are latching onto Gran Turismo as their last hope. Itll sell but in the end everyone will be gutted.

MW2 still has another complete year to sell 1.4 million units in order to cross 10 million. It's currently selling about 30-40k weekly, and that will likely drop a bit due to Black Ops, but even then it will likely (just) make 10 million.

Also many of the past GT games sold as well as the biggest games on the console. GT1 was the best selling game on the PS1 (besting FFVII), and GT2 was the third best. GT3 was the second best selling game on the PS2, and GT4 was the fifth. So even if GT5 doesn't top Modern Warfare 2, it should top the 7 million by GTA IV.

10 million is a push, there are many cons on the list the support sub-10 million sales, but it's not impossible. Thats the reason why this list is created.

I'll add your point to the cons.

Children, please.  No need to get all bent out of shape about a game.

Regardless, I think that GT5's sales will be almost 3-4x out of the US, and will sell big time.  I hardly care much for the game at this point, but I know this will be great racing game for those who like racing games, especially given the plethora of value tucked into the game.

Despite this, I do not think the numbers will be as large as people claim.  Hands down will be PS3's best exclusive by a substantial margin.