By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GT5 - Success of Failure? A list of pros/cons

Cypher1980 said:

F1 2010 will hurt GT5 in Europe.

My PS3 owning friend is a racing nut and loves GT5.

He also loves F1 and goes to a lot of the races.

F1 2010 is currently sucking up all his time. He adores the game and plays it relentlessly.

I was stunned when he announced last week that he wasnt going to preorder GT5 as he reckons F1 2010 will keep him happy for 6 months at least.

I appreciate that this is one man and that to stretch it to a whole continent is a bit much.

None the less the Codemasters game launched on time.

Looks fantastic.

Plays really well as has sold a bucket load.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Cypher1980 said:

F1 2010 is currently sucking up all his time. He adores the game and plays it relentlessly.

I was stunned when he announced last week that he wasnt going to preorder GT5 as he reckons F1 2010 will keep him happy for 6 months at least.

I appreciate that this is one man and that to stretch it to a whole continent is a bit much.

Looks fantastic.

Well this response is either because you feel.

1 The anecdote is untrue. It isnt but granted I cannot prove anything.

2 One swallow does not a summer make. Already mentioned in my post.

3 GT5 can launch in the face of a specilaist racing simulator and be unaffected. This I doubt and was the whole point of my post.

On another topic nice to see the VGChartz mean IQ level has continued to nosedive. 2010 looks to be a vintage year with the likes of darthdevidem01 swelling the ranks.

"A lot of people have changed their gaming habbits and shifted towards FPS or third person shooters, as shown by the amount and popularity of FPS games."

This again? This is the most silly argument I ever hear and it is used solely to disarm the GT franchise and its impact on the market and potential sales. Why would people jump from racing sims to casual shooters (these are the ones that sell the most, after all) like Modern Warfare 2? If you like cars and racing (like me and lots of other people truly do), no amount of shooting will let the gasoline in your blood boil and it simply won't cater to your interest or stem the need for a game with cars in it. Likewise, if you enjoy shooters, would you suddenly abandon them in favor of racing games? No, and this lunacy needs to end, I honestly cannot fathom where anyone would come up with such a ridiculous notion.

Next, people will be telling me that previous Wii Fit players are now jumping in large numbers to Civilization.

Cypher1980 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Cypher1980 said:

Looks fantastic.

3 GT5 can launch in the face of a specilaist racing simulator and be unaffected. This I doubt and was the whole point of my post.

On another topic nice to see the VGChartz mean IQ level has continued to nosedive. 2010 looks to be a vintage year with the likes of darthdevidem01 swelling the ranks.

awww your so cute when you get angry....I didn't know that laughing gif hurt your feelings so much, the woman in the gif has an IQ of 180 though....so you must respect herz dude!!

I will use the same gif when someone says Medal Of Honor will affect COD:Black Ops sales negatively

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

the cons are good, same thing as the pros. if gt5 releases in november it would have much bigger sales then if it released in december.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Mummelmann said:

"A lot of people have changed their gaming habbits and shifted towards FPS or third person shooters, as shown by the amount and popularity of FPS games."

This again? This is the most silly argument I ever hear and it is used solely to disarm the GT franchise and its impact on the market and potential sales. Why would people jump from racing sims to casual shooters (these are the ones that sell the most, after all) like Modern Warfare 2? If you like cars and racing (like me and lots of other people truly do), no amount of shooting will let the gasoline in your blood boil and it simply won't cater to your interest or stem the need for a game with cars in it. Likewise, if you enjoy shooters, would you suddenly abandon them in favor of racing games? No, and this lunacy needs to end, I honestly cannot fathom where anyone would come up with such a ridiculous notion.

Next, people will be telling me that previous Wii Fit players are now jumping in large numbers to Civilization.

The TC is known to bash this game, although at least in here, he tried to be a bit more reasonable about it.

I have to agree with your point though, as I've seen it used against God of War III, LittleBIGPlanet, HEAVY RAIN, Uncharted 2, Forza, and many others. Plenty of games this gen have performed as good as or better than expectations, when pitted against the FPS genre. I suspect GT5 will be no different, selling well in line with previous GT titles (albeit - not as high as GT3), and pushing the entire genre to new heights and expectations.

I think some of the cons are personal matters, but again, I give him props on at least looking to be reasonable about it.

The other points aren't that bad but this one in particular really is. I've seen several users use this as one of the prime reasons why GT5 won't move big numbers, there's also the; "people are buying Forza instead" crowd which at least holds an ounce of merit. Games like Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit won't have any impact either since they are purely arcade racers. The truth is, that racing sims on consoles are few and far inbetween and that makes them all the more treasured, I think.

Gt5 has wrc racing aswell!

darthdevidem01 said:
Cypher1980 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Cypher1980 said:

Looks fantastic.

awww your so cute when you get angry....I didn't know that laughing gif hurt your feelings so much, the woman in the gif has an IQ of 180 though....so you must respect herz dude!!

I will use the same gif when someone says Medal Of Honor will affect COD:Black Ops sales negatively

I think you'll find that 180 is our beautiful American friend's waist measurement ;)

CON

When GT3 released it was the unveiling of the showcase piece of software for the PS2.  GT5 will not be that game that pushes non sim racer fans over the edge.  With GT3 and PS2 GT3 was the first real AAA title that showed what the PS2 could do.  GT5 may look a little better but not to the extent GT3 was, nothing that will make a non PS3 fan or non gamer go wow I need to get a PS3.

Also

-Lack of compedetive racing games on the PS3. NFS, and Midnight Club have lost popularity, and the only other new compeditors are Codemaster's games, and Motorstorm (oniyide)

The real scenario may really be that racing games in general just arent as popular this generation as they were in the past.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

why does everyone brag about GT5 sucking for being in development for 5 years? ocarina of time was in development for that long and no one is saying that games sucked because of it nor does anyone consider its long development time a flaw in anyway.