By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GT5 - Success of Failure? A list of pros/cons

Hus said:
Frieza said:
Hus said:
Frieza said:

Also many of the past GT games sold as well as the biggest games on the console. GT1 was the best selling game on the PS1 (besting FFVII), and GT2 was the third best. GT3 was the second best selling game on the PS2, and GT4 was the fifth. So even if GT5 doesn't top Modern Warfare 2, it should top the 7 million by GTA IV.

Its true previous GT games have sold a ton but interest has decreased alot since GT3, GT4's US sales dropped to 2.8 million from 7.1 million. GT for PSP had poor US sales. They seem to prefer driving games like Need For Speed now.

Theres definitley no certainty itll pass GTAIV either, the games been forgotten a little because of the mixed opinions on it but lets not forget that it was the most anticipated game of all time at the time, everybody was talking about it like how COD is now.

Meanwhile hardly anybody is talking about GT5, its not had half the hype of Uncharted 2 or God of War 3.

As for its sales in US if it is incredibly lucky it can sell about 2 million copies, its not gonna sell that much more than that, COD4 was the start of a craze and that sold 2.7 million in US, COD WAW sold 2.3 million, GT5 a franchise that had a drastic drop with GT4 and something nobody is really talking about isnt gonna surpass that.

For Japan around a million, GT4 only sold 1.26 million with a bigger userbase. Only one game has sold above 850,000 and thats Final Fantasy which was always bigger than GT.

And EMEAA is where itll have its most success but i dont see that passing Fifa 10s 3 million either.

If its very lucky it can maybe get 6-7 million. Im expecting around 4.5-5.5 million copies. But 10 million wont happen even if it sold aswell as GTA4 in US, aswell as FF13 in Japan and aswell as MW2 in EMEAA it still wouldnt reach it.

lol wtf.

do you even have a semblance of a clue about what in the hell you are posting about ?

GT5Prologue did 3 million in Europe............ Just saying.

2.2 million according to this, prologue had quite ab it of hype around it actually unlike GT5, it was also 3 years ago when there were hardly any big name games out for the PS3.

Its 3m disk/download sales.

Even if 2.2 were true youd have to be pretty ignorant to think the full release wont easily pass that.

Oh it will, itll double possibly even triple that 2.2 million copies. However people here think its gonna sell over 5x that 2.2 million and thats when it becomes laughable because it has absolutley no chance in the slightest.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Frieza said:

See this is exactly what i mean with the Playstation fanboys, see how defensive you all get so suddenly? if this was a Xbox game and i was saying it could do 8 million sales it would be a completely different story, thered all be whining about how it was impossible then.

GT5P came out early in 2008, there were hardly any big name franchise games for the PS3, even Motorstorm sold 3.5 million because there was nothing any good to buy for years thats why the sequel tanked. Everybodies hooked up on Call of Duty now its the biggest craze in gaming since Pokemon.

As i said nobody is talking about GT5, if Street Fighter is getting more web hits than Gran Turismo then it shows what little interest there is, and the games a few weeks away, something like that would never happen with Halo, GTA or COD yet this games supposed to outsell em all eh?

Like i said before when it comes to software sales Xbox trumps the PS3, Halo has more than doubled PS3s biggest exclusive MGS4 and GT5 is kinda the last chance for Sony fans to have a game on equal footing with Xboxs best. And theres obviously good reason why because it has sold very well in the past, however it wull certainly not outsell any of the previous 4 GTA games, it wont pass MW2s PS3 sales, it wont pass GTA4s sales. It will come out it will sell several million becoming the best selling PS3 exclusive and it will be considered a disappointment.

Then ill come back and ill say i told you so. I did it when people said Killzone 2 was gonna sell 3-4  million in a few months, i did it when people said Resistance 2 was gonna sell 2 million by Xmas, i did it when people said God of War 3 was gonna sell 5 million and become the best selling PS3 exclusive.

Every time i voice my opinion on something like this i try to be realistice, every time PS fanboys hate the truth and say "you mad" "Xbox fanboy" "you dont know what youre talking about" etc yet every single time ive been right and PS fanboys exaggerate their games.

For the bolded: Call of Duty didn't stop Uncharted, didn't stop HR, didn't stop God of War III, and won't stop Gran Turismo 5 either. I understand the notion for some that the FPS genre has taken over everything, but in reality, it hasn't.

Anyway, just because a few select titles performed less than expected doesn't mean anything. What about Alan Wake's numbers? How many people predicted it would move 3 million or so? How many of those same people were wrong? How many people claimed HEAVY RAIN would flop? It didn't flop, or come close to it.

Some said GOWIII would be lucky to see 3 million in it's life. How come I don't hear you talking about them, when God of War III has already cleared 3 million, before the year is even over? It's not far fetched at all to believe that God of War III will hit 5 million, especially when it did 3 in just 8 months.

For every prediction you may have been right about, there's plenty where the doubters were wrong (Uncharted 2, God of War III, HR, LittleBIGPlanet). So, blind Sony fans and you have one thing in common, they only see one side. Try to look at it from different angles.

Alot of people predicted alot for Alan Wake, i on  the other hand said it wouldnt sell 2 million (it hasnt even sold half of that), however thats different because its a Xbox game, say what you want but this site is obviously filled with PS3 fans.

When the Xbox is adjusted up you get "Cool nice adjustment"

PS3 adjusts up "OMFG LOOK AT THOSE SALES THIS IS AMAZING"

Xbox adjusted down, "YES NOW THERES ONLY A "XXX" GAP BETWEEN THE XBOX AND PS3"

PS3 adjusted down, "WTF THIS SITE SUCKS"

There was some who said GOW3 was gonna fail however the majority were thinking it was gonna sell 5 million copies passing MGS4, and so they are closer to being wrong. It was never gonna sell 5 millionj copies, i told them all that and i got the same whiny replies im getting now, but i was right. When Killzone 2 was coming out i played the demo and i came here and said it wasnt gonna sell close to the 4 million people were predicting.

I remember one guy saying that i was a troll that Killzone 2 had 1 million preorders in Others alone, 1st week sales 354,000.

I dont really make predictions like others and say itll sell "XXX" copies, i usually see what people predict then say it has no chance at selling that amount (GOW3, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, GT5 etc) and so far every single time without fail ive been right.

And this time im saying GT5 will definitley

NOT sell 10 million copies

WILL be the worst selling GT game.

NOT pass Modern Warfare 2

And most likely wont pass GTA4.

Ali-Kharazi said:

As far as comparing sales to GT4. Remember that GT4 was released when PS2 had over 100 million user instal base.
PS3 is around 40mil now so if GT5 sells in a longer amount of time, there is a reason.

When GT4 was released I had bought 3 PS2 and no other console. This time I owned one of each Ps3,X360 and Wii. So 100 milion sales doesn't really mean 100 million user base.  How many PS3 owners own more than one PS this generation? I willing to bet their more gamers like me who bought 2-3 different consoles instead 2-3 of the same last generation.

CGI-Quality said:
Frieza said:

Alot of people predicted alot for Alan Wake, i on  the other hand said it wouldnt sell 2 million (it hasnt even sold half of that), however thats different because its a Xbox game, say what you want but this site is obviously filled with PS3 fans.

When the Xbox is adjusted up you get "Cool nice adjustment"

PS3 adjusts up "OMFG LOOK AT THOSE SALES THIS IS AMAZING"

Xbox adjusted down, "YES NOW THERES ONLY A "XXX" GAP BETWEEN THE XBOX AND PS3"

PS3 adjusted down, "WTF THIS SITE SUCKS"

There was some who said GOW3 was gonna fail however the majority were thinking it was gonna sell 5 million copies passing MGS4, and so they are closer to being wrong. It was never gonna sell 5 millionj copies, i told them all that and i got the same whiny replies im getting now, but i was right. When Killzone 2 was coming out i played the demo and i came here and said it wasnt gonna sell close to the 4 million people were predicting.

I remember one guy saying that i was a troll that Killzone 2 had 1 million preorders in Others alone, 1st week sales 354,000.

I dont really make predictions like others and say itll sell "XXX" copies, i usually see what people predict then say it has no chance at selling that amount (GOW3, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, GT5 etc) and so far every single time without fail ive been right.

And this time im saying GT5 will definitley

NOT sell 10 million copies

WILL be the worst selling GT game.

NOT pass Modern Warfare 2

And most likely wont pass GTA4.

Well, we'll see. I disagree, on everything except Modern Warfare 2. I'll tell you this much, if the game does 3 million in it's first week, much of your doubt will easily be shattered.

Well the vastly more anticpated GTA4 opened to 2.55 million and that was part of a record along side the Xbox sales. Then even more vastly anticipated MW2 opened to 3.25 million so theres obviously no way GT5 will have a week 1 of 3 million, its alsmot impossible.

According to this site only 6 different games topped 3 million week 1, those being MW2, GTA4, GTASA, Halo 2 and 3 and FF8. Of which clearly GT isnt anywhere as anticipated as GTA, Halo or COD and Final Fantasy has always been more popular in Japan than GT.

Smidlee said:
Ali-Kharazi said:

As far as comparing sales to GT4. Remember that GT4 was released when PS2 had over 100 million user instal base.
PS3 is around 40mil now so if GT5 sells in a longer amount of time, there is a reason.

When GT4 was released I had bought 3 PS2 and no other console. This time I owned one of each Ps3,X360 and Wii. So 100 milion sales doesn't really mean 100 million user base.  How many PS3 owners own more than one PS this generation? I willing to bet their more gamers like me who bought 2-3 different consoles instead 2-3 of the same last generation.

You bought 3 PS2's? Why?

I don't think too many people buy multiple versions of 1 console, unless you consider Nintendo handhelds consoles. (I mean the original GB was on the market for 12 years, who could turn down a GBC? and GBA SP was soo awesome. Best handheld for me, by far).

Still you make a valid point. If you merge GTAIV sales on PS3 and 360, it sells 3rd best in the franchise, just behind Vice City. I noticed that Forza Motorsport 2 and 3 sales jumped this generation, and it's not because of quality. Well maybe for Forza Motorsport 3 it is, but still. Some of GT5's sales will be lost due to the segregation of the hardcore market.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Smidlee said:
Ali-Kharazi said:

You bought 3 PS2's? Why?

I don't think too many people buy multiple versions of 1 console, unless you consider Nintendo handhelds consoles. (I mean the original GB was on the market for 12 years, who could turn down a GBC? and GBA SP was soo awesome. Best handheld for me, by far).

Still you make a valid point. If you merge GTAIV sales on PS3 and 360, it sells 3rd best in the franchise, just behind Vice City. I noticed that Forza Motorsport 2 and 3 sales jumped this generation, and it's not because of quality. Well maybe for Forza Motorsport 3 it is, but still. Some of GT5's sales will be lost due to the segregation of the hardcore market.

First one wore out , I bought a second one to replace it then another one for my son as the price dropped. After long use, especially the first generation of PS2, it was a pain for the system to read the disc. If PS3 price dropped to $150 I would own a second PS3 as well.

Smidlee said:

First one wore out , I bought a second one to replace it then another one for my son as the price dropped. After long use, especially the first generation of PS2, it was a pain for the system to read the disc. If PS3 price dropped to $150 I would own a second PS3 as well.

I had that exact same issue with my first generation PS2, same with my PS1 too. I like Sony, but I think if I ever get a first gen console again, I will limit it to Nintendo. This generation has seen more diversification then in the past.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results