By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why does Sony continue to abuse the PSP brand?

It was understandable why Sony made the PSP play second fiddle to the PS3 when it became obvious that the Playstation brand was in serious trouble with the massive success of the Wii with casuals and the 360's success with core gamers. 

Still though it was a little hard to watch as the PSP Go was basically sent out to die in an attempt to milk the brand for whatever they could while the PS3 Slim's launch was handled so skillfully and with a willingness to cut price and lose money.

But there's really no excuse anymore for the way Sony is still giving the PSP the shaft.  First there's people even inside Sony rooting for the success of the PSP's future competitor, the 3DS, which by itself would be a slap in the face to the PSP.  But now we're learning that instead of answering the 3DS's challenge for core gamers, Sony appears to instead be lending the PSP name to the very troubled Sony Ericsson in some hairbrain plan to turn it into an iPhone challenger.

Which brings me to my question.  What are they thinking?  It's bad enough to not focus on the brand but they seem to be going out of their way to destroy it.  Take for example their advertising, they have the perfect person to promote it, Kevin Butler, but instead they go through the trouble of creating an unlikeable character, Markus Rivers, instead.

What's sad about all this is that looking at the big picture it has actually hurt the entire Playstation brand by resulting in continued declines in revenue (for every increase in the PS3 there's an even bigger decrease caused by the PSP and PS2).  Anyways I'm sure the people at Nintendo must have been laughing their asses off at Peter Dille's  comments but hopefully there're are some people at Sony that aren't laughing and are able to step in somehow and save the PSP brand before it's too late.

Around the Network

Man, you care too much, don't worry about Sony , relax, have a cup of tea.

for PSPhone its actually a good idea to combine them together, they didn't give the PSP brand the shaft, they're releasing games on it right?

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

I think they are playing it like in poker

if this PSP in this last attempt then bye bye PSP forever

PSP did good but never succeed to have a mass market appeal like the DS

Time to Work !

Still calling the x360 a success and ignoring the PS3?

On 18 Nov 2006 the PS3 was sold 0.3 million times and the x360 5.5 million times. The PS3 was at 5.5% of the x360 sales.

On 17 Nov 2007 the PS3 was sold 6.2 million times and the x360 13.2 million times. The PS3 was at 47% of the x360 sales.

On 15 Nov 2008 the PS3 was sold 15.8 million times and the x360 22.3 million times. The PS3 was at 70.9% of the x360 sales.

On 14 Nov 2009 the PS3 was sold 26.7 million times and the x360 33.3 million times. The PS3 was at 80.2% of the x360 sales.

On 30 Oct 2010 the PS3 was sold 40.5 million times and the x360 44.4 million times. The PS3 is currently at 91.2% of the x360 sales.

When you are at 91.2% of the sales of a "success" and the gap is less then 4 million, then explain to me why one is called a success and the other isn't worth mentioning?

Based on what they have been doing with the psp recently--the quality of games and attention it's been receiving--they seem to be trying to renew interest the system.

Around the Network

I'd like to say wait about announcement of the PSP2 before write it off...

But we must first concentrate ourselves on the way to entertain people, for video games to live. Else, it's a world where sales representative will win, which has as effect to kill creativity. I want to say to the creators all around the world:"Courage, Dare!". Shigeru Miyamoto.

Why? You want to know why? because they are in a desperate situation.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

WHY is this not considered trolling by the mods? Why!? he's even online and don't reply to his own thread, that's trolling proof number one. This is troll thread number one... You all know this fella ain't rooting for the PSP brand to get better, he just want to hate on Sony. Like this guy really think it's sad that the PSP brand is doing "bad"? don't make me LAUGH, he loves it! he's even wrong about everything he says... Look at SONY's PSP coverage on EVERY GODDAMN E3. They dedicate like half their press conference to this "forgotten" brand....

Everyday we see people get banned for almost no reason or for actually posting honest opinions with a little bit of feisty wording to it, but this guy gets to continue to spew crap and stealth troll all he wants. it's like the mods are too blind to notice the stealth trolling going on on these forums, because I see a lot of it going on and there are NEVER any action taken against it (i could even call these elitist bastards out, but I'm not. because if I do... BANNED!!!). does it have to be out in the open trolling? does one have to be man enough to come out clean and speak you gut in order to get banned? it's getting too fucking silly... you should really get some more intelligent mods on these forums, who actually can read people and call them out for what they really are....

I'll probably get banned for calling this guy out, "dissing" the allmighty mods or not writing on topic (WHAT TOPIC???!?!?!!) before he even gets a warning for his flaming/trolling or whatever you call this crap.. it's sad, very sad... I guess it's time to say my goodbyes... again, because this shit is getting ridiculous...

I wonder if I, a "Sony fan", went to the Xbox forums to call MS out on how they ditched the XBOX, yada, yada, yada (which is actually true, unlike this OP). Or maybe speak my mind about LIVE, RROD, Disc Scratching.. yea, I would probably last 5 seconds on the forum after clicking POST/MAKE THREAD or whatever... and of course... the thread would be locked for flaming/trolling in NO TIME.. now, for this thread, 2 hours later... NOTHING.... Not even a post from a mod....

EDIT: This post has been moderated for flaming. -d1

akuseru said:

I"M ANGRY!! GRRRRR!!!!!

Dude.. everything alright? >_>

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
akuseru said:

I"M ANGRY!! GRRRRR!!!!!

Dude.. everything alright? >_>

Yes... I don't really care, look at my post count. I mainly just read these forums, but I still like having an account.. It's just annoying =) and yes, I am angry ^^ but man, this guy is ridiculous and this is not the first time..

my life couldn't be more perfect, so yes, everything is alright! thanks for asking =) i still think it's major trolling though. and what I said is still true. if you can't see it, then I guess good for you.. because you don't have to  be annoyed by almost every single post this guy writes...