By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why does Sony continue to abuse the PSP brand?

@jarrod  just that and Dissidia 2, way to know your info. You could almost say the same for DS, but since both Ninty and Sony are releasing 2 brand new portables next year. of course there are not going to be that much games coming out for either DS or PSP in the next year. thats a "no shit" right there

Around the Network

I dunno I don't think Sony is giving up on it without a fight.

I mean as Dille said piracy has pretty much killed the software market on the PSP. I mean out of the gate I remember day one the thing was hacked, before it launched in North America it already had an emulator and people could download roms. That was day one. I know people who bought PSP's and downloaded movies and games illegally instead of buying UMD's. I of course verbally denounced their activity but I don't think I knew infact know of a single PSP user other then myself who actually buys games. Over the past I've know about 15-20 PSP owners and as I just said not one actually bought software.

So Sony games barely sell, 3rd party games barely sell. Sony has continued supporting PSP despite the low sales. I mean the console is in 61-million homes and the biggest games barely break a million copies sold. I think the PSPGo was an attempt by Sony to reverse the piracy trend and make a new console which they could sell online content for. I think Sony was also hoping to cut manufacturing costs with PSPGo so that their games would be more profitable. Sony thought PSPGo would be a revolution and that people would buy it and switch to downloadable content based on success Apple was having with selling its DLC.

Now that Go and the 3000 are starting to die. Sony is still supporting it. I mean seriously how can you be upset when first party software continues to launch despite Sony knowing very well that the platform is dead. Marcus was an attempt to put a new and younger face on the PSP brand. This was a horrible attempt but I believe Sony meant well.

Now with the PSPhone the rumoured PSPad and the PSP2. I think Sony is trying to expand the PlayStation brand to compete with the I brand from Apple. They failed to directly take on Nintendo so why not expand and take on Apple at the same time. Sony already has a phone brand and computer brand why not expand PlayStation into those brands to better take on the new biggest threat (Apple).

Now do I think this is the right direction to go in? No I don't. I think Sony is acting like Germany did in WWII, they weren't beating the allies in the west so they descided to take on the East and the rest of the world. Essentially taking on three fronts at once instead of concentrating on one.

However maybe Kazou Hirai and Jack Tretton are smarter then Hitler. Maybe they can successfully take on three fronts (Nintendo, I-Phone, I-Pad). I for one will buy a PSPad and I'm actually contemplating a PSPhone if my carrier carries it. I think Apple could do great things by looking outside the conventional box. Rather then seeing the PlayStation brand as just a gaming brand they could expand it into other markets. Its a gamble but it may just work.

Also the PSP has only been around one generation. its loss is no greater then when Sega lost GameGear. Now if this was their third generation in the handheld market I'd be sad but honestly they have a choice, adapt or die. If the PlayStation brand doesn't adapt to compete with Apple, then eventually Apple will come and kill them off or contribute to another competitor killing them off.

I wish Sony luck in taking on Apple.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

jarrod said:
Ssenkahdavic said:
jarrod said:
Ssenkahdavic said:

How anyone can call a 60 million selling console a FAILURE is beyond me,

They could look at it's software sales.

Such a failure that it is still churning out tons of good software?  I dont buy it.  The industry obviously does not believe it is a failure, so why should I?

Besides, we are not talking about software in the this thread, but the PSP brand.  The brand is strong enough to stand on its own.

Outside Sony themselves, western support is deader than Wii.  There's still a decent little Japanese software market though, which is why you still see projects coming from there.  But really, the majority of PSP software produced today is niche galgames and ADVs... it's a lot like latter day Dreamcast, Saturn or PC Engine.  After March, there's pretty much nothing of note coming but the long awaited Agito.

How can you say that when it´s pretty comon in Japan to announce a game that is going to be released in three months and when when most of the games that get announced from Japan every week are actually PSP games?

Dissidia 2, Agito and Little Battlers are obviously the big games for 2011 but i'm sure we will see lot of mid-tier franchises in 2011 like Ace Century (actually announced), some Tales of spin-offs and more 200k sellers.

They should release a PSP2 next year plus a Sony Ericson phone with PSP2 built in.

*sighs* To those who are asking about why this is not being locked, trolling, etc, I'm going to give my reason: the thread poses a fair question. Sony has done quite a bit of successful marketing with the PS3, yet, it frankly seems like its the 'B' teams left to the PSP. When the PS3 Slim launched, there were ads everywhere for it; people knew it was coming. But the PSPGo only saw marketing in a few select areas, and not nearly to the same level as the PS3.

The OP also brings up fair points. PS3 has Kevin Butler, a person that seems likable to many people on both sides of the fence. Instead of keeping a unified Playstation figure, they have this twerp, Marcus (who I want to slap upside the head), represent the PSP. Maybe they figured that the attitude commercials worked for Sega about 20 years ago. But they're doing them wrong- Marcus has a fair number of detractors.

I may not be sure about where to go with the Sony Erickson part, but I can see the trepidation from it. The last gaming system with a cell phone added was the NGage. And, well... the less said about that, the better. (For those who want to mention iPhone, remember that it was a phone first, gaming system second.)

So no, I'm not deeming this trolling. We're not going to sterilize the forums of anything negative. We will, however, act on the baseless trolling, something I can't see in this thread's topic creation. There is a base, and it leads to fair discussion. Feel free to keep discussing this aspect, but further complaints of it being trolling posted in the thread will be deemed as spamming.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

Around the Network
Severance said:
NiKKoM said:
akuseru said:

I"M ANGRY!! GRRRRR!!!!!

Dude.. everything alright? >_>

He needs a cup of tea as well!!!

-gives everyone tea in this thread-

relax, RELAX YOU @#^#%^ers !!!! >:(

LOL. Yeah, relax you bastards!!

oh and OT:

Yes the PSP has had pretty poor support. People who say otherwise perhaps don't quite see how much better things would be if it had full support. Full support would mean _every_ new PSP game would be available on PSN, when instead its a mishmash. Full support would mean an ad campaign rivaling or at least almost as good as the PS3 ads, which were completely awesome, and a tag line: it only does everything in your pocket. Full support would mean, a 60/40 split, or gasp, a 50/50 split in sales rather than the near 70/30 split we have now.

So, no, the PSP is not a failure, but it never lived up to its potential, and it had alot of potential.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Squilliam said:
Icyedge said:
Squilliam said:
Icyedge said:

"Do you think that the PSP Go wasn't a blatant attempt to milk the brand? "

PSPgo is a great product, the fact most dont want download only doesnt make it a bad product. Why would it be a blatant attempt to milk the brand?

Its an obvious failure because it didn't give the people what they wanted. The fact that even now games aren't being made available for it as new releases is enough to call it as such. Other digital distribution models have worked significantly better and an entirely digitially distributed competitor beat the PSP by revenue in 2009 in the United States.

If theyre intend was to milk the psp trademark, they should have release something different then a download only system. Dont you think so?

I didn't say that the PSP Go was milking anything it obviously didn't sell. I was saying that as an attempt at digital distribution and as a product it was a failure though other digital distribution platforms have worked extremely well. The product is more than just the physical hardware. Obviously they couldn't get the right product mix because what they produced was unappealing for most.

Agreed

oniyide said:

@jarrod  just that and Dissidia 2, way to know your info. You could almost say the same for DS, but since both Ninty and Sony are releasing 2 brand new portables next year. of course there are not going to be that much games coming out for either DS or PSP in the next year. thats a "no shit" right there

Oh, DS is also dead after Q1 next year (there's only like Kirby 4 and Pokemon Typing left, lol).  But part of the reason for that is 3DS comes out in Q1.  When is PSP2 out again?

Hero_time88 said:
jarrod said:
Ssenkahdavic said:
jarrod said:
Ssenkahdavic said:

How anyone can call a 60 million selling console a FAILURE is beyond me,

They could look at it's software sales.

Such a failure that it is still churning out tons of good software?  I dont buy it.  The industry obviously does not believe it is a failure, so why should I?

Besides, we are not talking about software in the this thread, but the PSP brand.  The brand is strong enough to stand on its own.

Outside Sony themselves, western support is deader than Wii.  There's still a decent little Japanese software market though, which is why you still see projects coming from there.  But really, the majority of PSP software produced today is niche galgames and ADVs... it's a lot like latter day Dreamcast, Saturn or PC Engine.  After March, there's pretty much nothing of note coming but the long awaited Agito.

How can you say that when it´s pretty comon in Japan to announce a game that is going to be released in three months and when when most of the games that get announced from Japan every week are actually PSP games?

Dissidia 2, Agito and Little Battlers are obviously the big games for 2011 but i'm sure we will see lot of mid-tier franchises in 2011 like Ace Century (actually announced), some Tales of spin-offs and more 200k sellers.

Little Battlers is Q1 (March), it's within the period I was talking about.  So is ACEP actually, in fact it releases even earlier (Jan iirc).  I did forget about Dissidia 2 though, that's probably going to end up being in the spring or summer.  I think Tales may be done on PSP, with RM3 being the last release.  Tales Studio already has their hands full between PS3 stuff and forging ahead on 3DS.  Maybe we'll still get a Destiny R PSP port though.

But have you looked at PSP's lineup.  It really is like 90% ADV/galgame/eroge/shovelware in Japan already... it's a lot like the end of PCE/SS/DC, only the shooters instead went to 360.

What? The PSP in Japan doesn't have eroge. lol. It has dating sims and visual novels (like the Xbox 360 and DS) but not eroge. With the exception of one of the more obscure game consoles in Japan in the mid-90s (PC-FX I think it was called), eroge games are PC exclusive. If it doesn't have hentai content, then it's either a dating sim or a visual novel. It has to have hentai in order for it to be considered eroge.