By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why does Sony continue to abuse the PSP brand?

TheFlyingDutchman said:

Still calling the x360 a success and ignoring the PS3?

On 18 Nov 2006 the PS3 was sold 0.3 million times and the x360 5.5 million times. The PS3 was at 5.5% of the x360 sales.

On 17 Nov 2007 the PS3 was sold 6.2 million times and the x360 13.2 million times. The PS3 was at 47% of the x360 sales.

On 15 Nov 2008 the PS3 was sold 15.8 million times and the x360 22.3 million times. The PS3 was at 70.9% of the x360 sales.

On 14 Nov 2009 the PS3 was sold 26.7 million times and the x360 33.3 million times. The PS3 was at 80.2% of the x360 sales.

On 30 Oct 2010 the PS3 was sold 40.5 million times and the x360 44.4 million times. The PS3 is currently at 91.2% of the x360 sales.

When you are at 91.2% of the sales of a "success" and the gap is less then 4 million, then explain to me why one is called a success and the other isn't worth mentioning?

omg how come no one is laughing their ass off at this analysis here hahahahah

Around the Network

The fact that it was who it was that created this thread should be enough to chuckle and shrug it away.

jarrod said:
Ssenkahdavic said:

How anyone can call a 60 million selling console a FAILURE is beyond me,

They could look at it's software sales.

Such a failure that it is still churning out tons of good software?  I dont buy it.  The industry obviously does not believe it is a failure, so why should I?

Besides, we are not talking about software in the this thread, but the PSP brand.  The brand is strong enough to stand on its own.

Because they had to save the PS3. Obviously they only have so many resources and they devoted the majority of them and the majority of their executive attention towards their home console brand. Had they not done this you would be probably been writing about why they didn't save the PS3 whilst ignoring the PSP like people do here because handhelds just aren't seen as important here.

So whilst they abused the PSP brand they did it to save their more important home console brand. They might regret it or they might not it depends on how the handheld market develops over the next few years. Apple has made more profit off handheld technology than Sony has possibly for well over a decade.

Tease.

Legend11 said:

Ok, what exactly have I posted that isn't true?  Do you feel that they put as much effort into the PSP Go's launch as they did with the PS3 slim's?  Do you disagree with Markus Rivers being an unlikeable character?  Do you think that the PSP Go wasn't a blatant attempt to milk the brand?  Feel free to tell me what I got wrong.

As for getting away with things you couldn't be any more wrong.  I've been banned for weeks for doing things that you're doing right now in this thread and that many posters  do here on a daily basis.  For example I got banned twice for posting off-topic in threads and yet you're doing it in this one and I don't see a ban for you.

Also if you think this shit is getting ridiculous then it's probably good that you're not a "360 fan" because it's 10 times worse for fans of that system on here.  If you can't put up with one thread asking a hard question of Sony then I can't imagine what it would be like for you if the PS3 got treated the same way Kinect has on here.

"Do you think that the PSP Go wasn't a blatant attempt to milk the brand? "

PSPgo is a great product, the fact most dont want download only doesnt make it a bad product. Why would it be a blatant attempt to milk the brand?

"because it's 10 times worse for fans of that system on here"

If theres a "Sony defense force" does that mean theres a "Xbox attack force"?

Around the Network
Icyedge said:

PSPgo is a great product, the fact most dont want download only doesnt make it a bad product. Why would it be a blatant attempt to milk the brand?

Its an obvious failure because it didn't give the people what they wanted. The fact that even now games aren't being made available for it as new releases is enough to call it as such. Other digital distribution models have worked significantly better and an entirely digitially distributed competitor beat the PSP by revenue in 2009 in the United States.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Icyedge said:

Its an obvious failure because it didn't give the people what they wanted. The fact that even now games aren't being made available for it as new releases is enough to call it as such. Other digital distribution models have worked significantly better and an entirely digitially distributed competitor beat the PSP by revenue in 2009 in the United States.

If theyre intend was to milk the psp trademark, they should have release something different then a download only system. Dont you think so?

Lot of misinformation, first of the "PSPhone" and PSP2 are gonna be diff. products, 2nd PSP struggles in America, SCEA sucks when it comes to PSP. In Japan PSP enjoys way more attention, they've been getting bundles and different colors for years, it gets more software, better advertisment, just flat out better freaking support in its native country. WTF is the US only now getting PSP camera, its been available overseas for years. Its not SONY its SCEA

Icyedge said:
Squilliam said:
Icyedge said:

If theyre intend was to milk the psp trademark, they should have release something different then a download only system. Dont you think so?

I didn't say that the PSP Go was milking anything it obviously didn't sell. I was saying that as an attempt at digital distribution and as a product it was a failure though other digital distribution platforms have worked extremely well. The product is more than just the physical hardware. Obviously they couldn't get the right product mix because what they produced was unappealing for most.

Tease.

Ssenkahdavic said:
jarrod said:
Ssenkahdavic said:

How anyone can call a 60 million selling console a FAILURE is beyond me,

They could look at it's software sales.

Such a failure that it is still churning out tons of good software?  I dont buy it.  The industry obviously does not believe it is a failure, so why should I?

Besides, we are not talking about software in the this thread, but the PSP brand.  The brand is strong enough to stand on its own.

Outside Sony themselves, western support is deader than Wii.  There's still a decent little Japanese software market though, which is why you still see projects coming from there.  But really, the majority of PSP software produced today is niche galgames and ADVs... it's a lot like latter day Dreamcast, Saturn or PC Engine.  After March, there's pretty much nothing of note coming but the long awaited Agito.