By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Shouldn't Activision Blizzard be making more money?

I mean.. WoW alone has like 12 million players.. on the average, let's say they're paying 13 dollars a month or something. That alone amounts to 156 million dollars per month.. let's say that they're spending 50 million (a very high estimate) a month on server maintenance, development of new content, etc.. they should still have 100 million pure profit from that game alone per month, and the quarter should net them something like 400 million. But they only made 51 million for the quarter.. that means they lost on everything else they made? How can that be, when Starcraft 2 released?

On that note, why is Blizzard even hanging with Activision? I'm sure they have more than enough capital to buy themselves out.. or do I not know what I'm talking about?

p.s. Blizzard will never get a cent from me again until they split with Activision. Screw!

Around the Network

It is pretty shocking when Blizzard is a virtual money making machine that Activision manage to bleed them so as a whole they barely make any profit. This is true even in the quater where Modern Warfare 2 was released, which is completely ridiculous.

Seems a little odd to me as well unless they are spending like a billion dollars a year in R&D.

Does wow make as much money from is Asian players as it does from its western? Aren't like 5 million of the wow players in China?

Thay have to pay taxes.  They have partners in many countries that also take a cut of the profits.  The average isn't $13 per month considering parts of the World pay less as FaRmLaNd pointed out.  There are probably hundreds of places where they're losing money (credit card processing fees, PayPal fees, etc).

Around the Network

Does wow make as much money from is Asian players as it does from its western? Aren't like 5 million of the wow players in China?
This is correct, most players of WOW are in china etc where they pay far less than 13dollars a month.

But I agree activision dont seem to have made much profit in the last quarter, I have a solution though, give Kotich a rise

All bow to me the VGChartz current reigning 3DS prediction champion 

Bet with tbone51: Pokeon X & pokemon Y will not sell more than 8 million in 2013

jarrod said:The Xbox360 or ps3 will not sell more than 75million units

July 2009 daveJ saidTrue the wii has a large lead now but by 2017 the most likely result will be 1. ps3 2. xbox360 3. wii <-- wii's successor launched in 2011 effectively killing sales of the wii

2009 daveJ said: The wii will not break the 50% marketshare barrier it will go below the 40% marketshare barrier though in the future. VGChartz members: Impossible, youre an idiot that knows nothing about sales

I've wondered the same thing about MS. You'd think they would be making a lot more on Xbox Live a lone.

Does MS and Activion release information about money they've made on their subscription services?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I wouldn't be surprised if Activision is bleeding Blizzard dry, it costs a lot of money to make 5 guitar heroes a year, not to mention everything else they spam.  Though I've noticed all the big publishers on this side of the hemisphere have very bad management.

FaRmLaNd said:

China players pay by the hour. Having read around the web they only pay pennies an hour.

The link below says they only pay $0.06 an hour. So that's about 16 hours for a $1. They would have to play 240 hours a month to pay $15 ($15 is what Americans pay a month). Hence, China probably only accounts for a small portion of WoW profits.

http://www.warcraftgoldstore.com/articles/Subscription-Levels.aspx

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

they probably spent millions on marketing.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.