By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - If Kinect becomes a success, how will PS3 & Wii be affected?

reidlosdog said:
GianCarmen said:

One name to rule them all MARIO.

I don't like the Lord of the Rings comment too much....

Mario isn't taught in High School classrooms or University Lecture Halls as being one of the greatest masterpieces of this century.

You know what I wonder?  I wonder how many gamers go to College or a University and graduate.  That would be a interesting statistic.  VGChartz, AWAY!!

We are talking about games not college. I graduated with a degree in History and a minor in Geography. I know a little bit of Italian, I have relatives in Itay, i have been there a number of times. Anything else.

Around the Network

If It's successful they will copy. Wii will have it's own version of hands free gaming and Sony would just come up with a much better eyetoy.

It's just that simple.

sadly motion controllers may become a big thing :(

Hardcore gamers keep the ps360 alive. The casuals is for nintendo.

Kinect is a fad for the console known for fps usage.

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

The thing is, I don't see Kinect being successfully globally or in markets that would affect current trends apart from maybe the US.

In the US I can see it selling well, and I think it could help MS get 360 to a more general audience, thereby closing of some of the Wii's market share a bit and helping to keep PS3/Move in the less dominant position.

But... in Europe I just can't see it being that big a success.  The space requirements are just hugely against it.  UK is a great market for 360 but terrible for room space.  This, plus the fact Move launched first and PS3/Wii are far more dominant than 360 outside UK convince me it just won't make much difference in this key market.

In Japan I think it has no chance.  The space issue plus 360 popularity I think will kill it at birth.  Sure, there'll be an initial bit of hype, but it'll die quickly I think.

So, while I do think Kinect will be a success I actually don't think Wii and PS3 look to be hugely affected unless Kinect manages to overcome what I see as issues that will hold it back outside US.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
MonstaMack said:

If It's successful they will copy. Wii will have it's own version of hands free gaming and Sony would just come up with a much better eyetoy.

To be honest, I don't see either Nintendo or Sony going "hands free" despite whatever success Kinect brings.  And as time goes on I think we'll see less, "hands free" Kinect titles too, and more games that integrate a controller (ie: Forza 4).

Nintendo's going to go fuller into player feedback nextgen imo (ie: Vitality Sensor).  I don't think they'll implement a full camera though, I think they'll probably keep pretty much the same interface setup as Wii (though they can still refine and improve it).

GianCarmen said:
reidlosdog said:
GianCarmen said:

One name to rule them all MARIO.

I don't like the Lord of the Rings comment too much....

Mario isn't taught in High School classrooms or University Lecture Halls as being one of the greatest masterpieces of this century.

You know what I wonder?  I wonder how many gamers go to College or a University and graduate.  That would be a interesting statistic.  VGChartz, AWAY!!

We are talking about games not college. I graduated with a degree in History and a minor in Geography. I know a little bit of Italian, I have relatives in Itay, i have been there a number of times. Anything else.

Simply stating why I didn't like your comment.

that's one gamer down! 100,000,000 to go!!  Come one VG, you can do this!!

V:  And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. Last night I sought to end that silence.

I believe they will both have their sucess and bugs/issues, with the move, it works except when i tried it the first time it didnt work too good, but thats also because with move and i guess kinect too, you have to set up the camera properly, and be within the view of the camera. If kinect were a hige sucess, it wouldnt really have an effect on ps3 or wii. Though it will kind of look weirder using kinect as it is hands-free. Haven't tryed kinect at all or the move for long, just at my friends house.

It's already a huge success. lol

Carl2291 said:
patapon said:

Well, we all know what Sony would do...

Make a copy

They already did, those copying bastards!

Damn those crafty bastards!  They time traveled into the future via teh cell to copy KINECT!