By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - VGC Mafia Round 22 Sign-up Thread

Khuutra said:

I think attempting to figure out how balanced a setting like this would be is kind of pointless. The thing about power games is that balance is like small-scale planning in combat; neither survives first contact. This seems like effort was put into it, though, and relatively low-impact powers seem very nice. More balanced by nature than having a zillion killing roles.

I'm going to disagree with your first point.  I think it is important for mods to think through power games more carefully than other games.  Thinking through all scenarios and balancing roles accordingly is the only thing that can create big, themed, balanced games.  That and some experience.

I agree with the relatively low-impact powers though.  Makes thinks easier to balance and makes the game less swingy.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
Khuutra said:

I think attempting to figure out how balanced a setting like this would be is kind of pointless. The thing about power games is that balance is like small-scale planning in combat; neither survives first contact. This seems like effort was put into it, though, and relatively low-impact powers seem very nice. More balanced by nature than having a zillion killing roles.

I'm going to disagree with your first point.  I think it is important for mods to think through power games more carefully than other games.  Thinking through all scenarios and balancing roles accordingly is the only thing that can create big, themed, balanced games.  That and some experience.

I agree with the relatively low-impact powers though.  Makes thinks easier to balance and makes the game less swingy.

Do you hold, then, that good balance can survive the chaos that is real game playing?

Khuutra said:
theRepublic said:
Khuutra said:

Do you hold, then, that good balance can survive the chaos that is real game playing?

Sure.  WoW accomplished balance in some complicated games.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

theRepublic said:
Khuutra said:

I'd hold that this was a combination of careful moderating and well-balanced sides, rather than inherently balanced roles. Even vanilla games can turn incredibly lop-sided if the teams are arranged just so.

um, I got a role PM?

that mean the game thread will be up soon?

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
theRepublic said:
Khuutra said:

I'd hold that this was a combination of careful moderating and well-balanced sides, rather than inherently balanced roles. Even vanilla games can turn incredibly lop-sided if the teams are arranged just so.

Well balanced sides is exactly what I am talking about though.  I'm not sure what you mean by careful moderating.  Balancing a game should be taking place before the game starts.

Now Playing

Homer_Simpson said:

um, I got a role PM?

that mean the game thread will be up soon?

Yep.  Read Final-Fan's post above.

Now Playing

ah, cool-cool

Game thread up.  The madness begins

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!