By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is today perhaps the biggest day ever for videogaming?

Smidlee said:
Tuganuno said:

I don't want to start a flame war or anything like that, but by that logic, if all games are going to be controlled by body movement, then industry's biggest day ever, and I repeat, by your logic, should've been Eyetoy's release date.

Not necessary true. Elvis is called the King of Rock and Roll yet he didn't invent it. He made it popular. The same would be true if Kinect "camera only" approach  replaces the controller something Eyetoy didn't do. Now I serious doubt Kinect will replace the controller but use alone with a controller (like Move) except for dancing and exercise.

eye toy had 10 million sales, it did enough, its not going to replace a controller,. kinect will not replace a controller, ofcourse ms will try to implement it in most of their games, but if its going to be the big core games its probably going to be small things, so its not going to replace a controller in cod or gears.

kinect isnt the elvis of playing without a controller, eye toy it showed that motion controles are popular among the casuals, ofcouse 10 million sales is nothing to brag about when you look at the sales of the ps2, but its not bad.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Around the Network

Maynard_Tool said:

I assure you, he is.  You got any facepalm pics instead?

NYANKS said:
Maynard_Tool said:

I assure you, he is.  You got any facepalm pics instead?

KichiVerde said:

The biggest day in gaming was July 15, 1983 when Nintendo launched the Famicom. That is what eventually revived the industry after the video game crash of 1983. A lot of you weren't even born yet so you wouldn't really understand the impact of said console or how the international versions, the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) for example, were well received. But that is what brought home console gaming back from the brink and should be recognized for what it was.

Inspite of what the MS hype machine may have you believe the Kinect is just an add in a currently thriving gaming industry. Still, I hope it will do well and push gaming to greater limits.

this^

Also, I dont hate motion controls (I love my wii and don´t hate kinect or move at all), but I didnt buy the wii because of moition. I bought it mainly because of nintendo games (galaxy nsbwii, ssbb, mkwii which can be played with gc controller, punch out,  etc) the motion controls were just a plus and enhanced some of the experience like in galaxy.

So I don`t think it is the biggest day. Also I can play wii in a relaxed position. I would hate to have to play ALL games standing up

edit: what I like about the wii is that it offers games that can be enhaced with the motion tech (move also does that), but played classic style like nsmbwii, and you can play any genre with a wii remote. I dont think kinect can do that

I dont see a 2d platformer or fps or many genres working with kinect in a natural way other than sports, dancing, menu interaction and maybe others, but maybe I´m just blind

Around the Network
hallowedbeeddie said:
KichiVerde said:

The biggest day in gaming was July 15, 1983 when Nintendo launched the Famicom. That is what eventually revived the industry after the video game crash of 1983. A lot of you weren't even born yet so you wouldn't really understand the impact of said console or how the international versions, the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) for example, were well received. But that is what brought home console gaming back from the brink and should be recognized for what it was.

Inspite of what the MS hype machine may have you believe the Kinect is just an add in a currently thriving gaming industry. Still, I hope it will do well and push gaming to greater limits.

this^

Also, I dont hate motion controls (I love my wii and don´t hate kinect or move at all), but I didnt buy the wii because of moition. I bought it mainly because of nintendo games (galaxy nsbwii, ssbb, mkwii which can be played with gc controller, punch out,  etc) the motion controls were just a plus and enhanced some of the experience like in galaxy.

So I don`t think it is the biggest day. Also I can play wii in a relaxed position. I would hate to have to play ALL games standing up

edit: what I like about the wii is that it offers games that can be enhaced with the motion tech (move also does that), but played classic style like nsmbwii, and you can play any genre with a wii remote. I dont think kinect can do that

I dont see a 2d platformer or fps or many genres working with kinect in a natural way other than sports, dancing, menu interaction and maybe others, but maybe I´m just blind

Actually, if it weren't for previous systems like the Magnavox Odyssey (ya know, the first one?) or many other events, there would have been nothing to bring back.  Just a thought lol.

EDIT: Oh, and I believe the only third party to emerge from the Crash was.....Activision. So it wasn't all good LOL. j/k