By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EA Wii and DS sales: Not Good

I figured I'd give a little bit of actual context to all of this.

On Wii, EA has released 78 games for a total of 45.31 million copies sold. Of these, 12 games have sold over a million copies.

On 360, EA has released 107 games for a total of 89.66 million copies sold. Of these, 34 games have sold over a million copies.

On PS3, EA has released 87 games for a total of 55.53 million copies sold. Of these, 15 games have sold over a million copies.

On its own, this makes it look like the Wii is just not as strong a place for EA titles. But let's look a bit deeper.

Here are the games that EA released on both Wii and 360 (asterisks indicate that titles were slightly different, under different names): 2010 FIFA World Cup SA, FaceBreaker*, FIFA Soccer 08/09*/10/11, GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince/Order of the Phoenix, Madden NFL 07/08/09*/10/11, Monopoly, NBA Live 08/09*, NCAA Football 09*, Need for Speed: Carbon/ProStreet/Undercover, The Godfather*, The Simpsons Game, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07/08/09*/10/11, and Trivial Pursuit, plus all of the Rock Band games except Rock Band Track Pack Volume 1 (only released on Wii and PS2). That's 38 games that are common between Wii and 360.

For these games, 360 sold 38.45 million, to Wii's 22.87 million. But a quick check of which games sold more strongly on which console reveals why - of the 24 that sold better on 360, all five FIFA titles and all five Madden titles are on the list, along with both NBA Live titles, and the NCAA Football title. Just by removing these titles, already we now have the 360 at 17.3 million to the Wii's 16.04 million.

Let's now remove Rock Band 1 and 2, which both released over a year later on Wii than on 360. Now, the Wii is at 13.7 million to the 360's 12.72 million. So, if you remove the team sports titles and the two titles that were VERY late on Wii, Wii comes out ahead. Only 9 other titles sold better on 360 than Wii from the remaining list of 23 titles. Including both GI Joe, Green Day: Rock Band, and the Metal Track Pack, each of which sold 0.01 million more on 360 than Wii. The other titles that performed better on 360 were the Need for Speed series, The Godfather, The Simpsons Game, and Tiger Woods 11 (but that's likely to change with Christmas coming up, in my opinion).

Without any notable FPS or similar titles to compare with, we cannot even guess at how such titles would perform on Wii, in the case of EA's FPSes, etc. The closest we have is Medal of Honor Vanguard and Heroes 2 - the first being substandard by all measures and the second performing not that far below Medal of Honor Airborne.

Of course, the question is why EA's revenue from Wii is declining. Well, that's easier to observe.

Here's the list of EA titles that have been released for the Wii in 2010 (including only titles released early enough to register on VGChartz): 2010 FIFA World Cup, FIFA Soccer 11 (released end of September in US, start of October in EU, so barely included in EA's numbers at all), Green Day: Rock Band, Madden NFL 11, MySims SkyHeroes (same as FIFA 11), NBA Jam (released October, so not included at all), NHL Slapshot, and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11.

That's right - they've released a total of 8 titles, of which six are sports games, one is a Rock Band dedicated band version, and the other game is MySims SkyHeroes. And of them, only 5 were really released anywhere near early enough to even show up in the most recent financial statement.

Just to point out how absurd this is: They still haven't released an SSX game to make use of the Balance Board. They haven't released a new FPS for Wii. The only Hockey game they've released has been a spinoff. And here are the games coming to the Wii by the end of the year: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, EA Sports Active 2, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, EA Create, EASA NFL Training Camp, and The Sims 3. Also Hasbro Family Game Night 3, Monopoly Streets, and Rock Band 3, all of which released on October 26th. So basically, more of the same.

What's that saying about the definition of insanity, again?

Around the Network
FinalEvangelion said:

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but I will go anyway.

It is true that EA is not giving good games for the Wii and I wish they would.  However, I think Nintendo needs to take some of the blame for all this third party problem.  Historically, they have shown that they have had troubled relationships with third parties.  Sony and Microsoft probably give a little more help on marketing than Nintendo does.

At the beginning of this generation, the third parties almost dropped the PS3 for development and were going to do all HD exclusives on the 360.  Kaz Hirai had to do alot to keep the 3rd parties from doing that (apparently, begging on his knees according to an article).

I think it's time Nintendo show some more effort in this area if they want to have a more solid 3rd party foundation. 

The thing is though that I think Nintendo have done equal to either Sony or Microsoft individually to help 3rd parties this gen.  From the top of my head:

They've published loads of 3rd party titles which might not have been localised otherwise such as Prof Layton, Trauma Centre, Dragon Quest IX, Tenchu, Samurai Warriors 3 and in January Ghost Trick.  

Nintendo also marketed Monster Hunter 3, it had easily the largest marketing campaign for a 3rd party Wii title here in the U.K.

Nintendo actually launched a new major peripheral with an entirely 3rd party launch.  Wii Motion Plus launched with only Tiger Woods and Grande Slam Tennis, WSR released a couple of months later.

Third Party Hardware Bundles - Nintendo released bundles containing the Wii, a classic controller pro and either Tales of Graces or Monster Hunter 3.

Nintendo helped produce 3rd party titles.  Examples include Miyamoto designing a minigame for Samurai Warriors 3, Retro helping with the controls on Red Steel 2 and Nintendo assisting in all the Mario & Sonic games.

Nintendo let their 1st/2nd parties help create games for 3rd parties.  For example Intelligent made Dragon Quest Wars, Genius Sonority made Dragon Quest Swords and Monolith made a Super Robot Taisen game for the DS.

I don't know about you, but I think that's quite a lot

Serves EA right - make some better games next time

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Wii and DS are dead to third parties, we already knew that.

Once you combine the PS3 and 360 markets, and thats what you do since you make one game and port it easily between them, the wii market is a footnote at this point. Maybe 10% or something. Wii being outsold 3-1 or better in the states by HD consoles, recently etc.

09tarheel said:

I'm not a big fan of EA's offerings so far on the Wii, but I do think it is strange how this year the sports game market has seemed to collapse on the Wii. First Tiger Woods did horribly, the Madden, and now Fifa (although that is not underperforming as much as the other two), NBA Jam is not off to a good start. The Sims games have done fairly decent on Wii so far, so maybe when the Sims 3 releases it will do decently. Although releasing the game several weeks later than on the rest of the platforms probably won't help. I'm sure EA Sports Active 2 will at least do decently as well, but nowhere near what the 1st game did.

The tipical Wii owner doesn't buy every year version of a sports game, so last year when everything peaked, a lot of owners filled their need of a golf/football/soccer simulation game. Very few will keep buying almost the same game every year so the sales they get are a lot less than in previous years and are generated by few gamers who buy every year iteration and some new console owners than haven't bought previous games in the series.

NBA Jam was a horrible mess, so you can't blame the Wii owners but the marketing department of EA on that one.

The Mysims series of games were decent but not all are equally good, and this year they decied to release the game in all consoles so it reduces the potential sales of the Wii version.

EA Sports Active 2 will sell fine, but not as good as the original one, because the Wii owner already filled their need for that kind of games either with the previous game or Wii Fit.

The "release almost the same game every year" strategy doesn't work with the Wii audience, and that's one of the biggest revenue generators of EA, after 2 iterations the buyer its either satisfied or bored and will not expend more money in that kind of game (like it happened with the GH franchise, and will happend soon with the Just Dance franchise).

Around the Network
hallowedbeeddie said:

EA always bashes the wii and hardly release any good software on either wii or ds. They only have themselves to blame.

edit: EA is the wideo game company I dislike the most (I dont really dislike many other). I refuse to buy any of their software on the wii :p

I'm most certainly at that point now. I've actually started extending that to the other two systems.  E

flagstaad said:
09tarheel said:

I'm not a big fan of EA's offerings so far on the Wii, but I do think it is strange how this year the sports game market has seemed to collapse on the Wii. First Tiger Woods did horribly, the Madden, and now Fifa (although that is not underperforming as much as the other two), NBA Jam is not off to a good start. The Sims games have done fairly decent on Wii so far, so maybe when the Sims 3 releases it will do decently. Although releasing the game several weeks later than on the rest of the platforms probably won't help. I'm sure EA Sports Active 2 will at least do decently as well, but nowhere near what the 1st game did.

The tipical Wii owner doesn't buy every year version of a sports game, so last year when everything peaked, a lot of owners filled their need of a golf/football/soccer simulation game. Very few will keep buying almost the same game every year so the sales they get are a lot less than in previous years and are generated by few gamers who buy every year iteration and some new console owners than haven't bought previous games in the series.

NBA Jam was a horrible mess, so you can't blame the Wii owners but the marketing department of EA on that one.

The Mysims series of games were decent but not all are equally good, and this year they decied to release the game in all consoles so it reduces the potential sales of the Wii version.

EA Sports Active 2 will sell fine, but not as good as the original one, because the Wii owner already filled their need for that kind of games either with the previous game or Wii Fit.

The "release almost the same game every year" strategy doesn't work with the Wii audience, and that's one of the biggest revenue generators of EA, after 2 iterations the buyer its either satisfied or bored and will not expend more money in that kind of game (like it happened with the GH franchise, and will happend soon with the Just Dance franchise).

Wii owners = intelligent purchasers? ;P

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

radishhead said:

Well, kind off, we just reach a saturation point quickly and since we don't care a lot about the graphics, the small changes doesn't make enough difference to buy another game the next year. That's the reason why Nintendo doesn't release another Smash or Mario Kart in the same generation and they keep selling fo a long time.

flagstaad said:
radishhead said:

Well, kind off, we just reach a saturation point quickly and since we don't care a lot about the graphics, the small changes doesn't make enough difference to buy another game the next year. That's the reason why Nintendo doesn't release another Smash or Mario Kart in the same generation and they keep selling fo a long time.

That, Why would I buy almost the same game every year (sometimes even a far worse version, yes I am talking about you fifa). 

If EA and other devs hate the wii, they could just be honest and say they are not going to produce any more wii/ds games anymore, not that I care any of their games, but at least the weekly wii is doomed threat would come to an end...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

HAHAH, honestly, when I read about EA's financial troubles on the news section, I thought to mysel, "you know what? I bet they will find a way to blame the Wii for it." I can't believe they actually did it!