By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Confessions of a Wii, Ps3, iPhone Reseller

a.l.e.x59 said:
If the buyers want to spend more than retail, that's their choice. Everyone sold the Wii, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, iPhone, and other things, for more than retail, at launch. It's a common thing to do. If the buyers want to be stupid, and pay more than retail, it's not the fault of the sellers.

Though it is there fault that other people who wanted to buy it at the standard price can't. Since they bought extras to sell for more then they were worth.

Around the Network
KruzeS said:
Besides, it's way different if you have a "friend" that asks you to pick one up before hand, offering to give you "a little extra" for it to compensate you for your troubles, from snagging a bunch of Wiis (making it harder, or even impossible for others to get them) and then resell them at a premium (in a shody eBay deals - you know what I mean) to the guys that weren't able to buy them, because you (and others like you) inflated demand.

Both are perfectly legal. But don't try to pretend they're the same - they aren't.

Ah, but what if you pay hobo's 50 dollars and a pizza to wait in line for you? I know someone who claimed to do that to get PS3s since it got around the "Per Person" limit.

Kasz216 said:

Ah, but what if you pay hobo's 50 dollars and a pizza to wait in line for you? I know someone who claimed to do that to get PS3s since it got around the "Per Person" limit.

I fail to see what relation this bares with what I said.

As long as, when you purchase the unit in the first place, it already has its end use decided, it's a (arguably valuable) service you're providing. If you're buying it (or them) just to sell to the highest bidder, you're clearly part the precipitate.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

I think people hate resellers for 2 main reasons:

1) The obvious reason: If you are dealing with a reseller it means you are paying more than you had to.

2)You are jealous of the fact that they made several hundred dollars for doing almost nothing.

I was really jealous when my roommate sold a PS3 for $1500 at launch, but it didn't stop me from paying an extra $85 above retail for my wii the day of launch. The reseller does me the service of finding and offering an essentially unavailable product.

If anyone has taken Economics or Business, you could understand that it is arbitrage for the wii.

The guy is pretty weaksuace. I've sold close to 17 wiis in the past two weeks alone.

Just 10 Wiis in the past year? Ha.  He's not even a "reseller", more like he got lucky. 

Around the Network

I have no problems with resellers, probably because I am one. I traded on straight up for a 32" HDTV and sold the other on eBay for a $100 profit. I don't feel one bit of guilt. Now, if it was food, medication, etc - that's a different story. Someone earlier had it right, the Wii is a luxury. Oh no, little Johnny can't play the Wii on Christmas morning because of me? So what! Actually, his parents could have done what I did. I think little Johnny will survive - spoiled brat!

Rugger08 said:

The reseller does me the service of finding and offering an essentially unavailable product.

... which is unavailable partly because of them.

It's scalping, which is not exactly illegal but not ethical either.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957