By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Kinect Sales Jump After Oprah Appearance

Yes it's all due to Oprah. It has absolutley nothing to do with the major TV and internet advertising campaign that started last week.

Around the Network

Consumers are sheep.  That's the whole point of advertising.  We are conditioned to consume on an enormous scale. 

Personally, I like to consume to a near Nero like capacity.  I think the only thing that has saved me from total ruination is the ability to occasionally look up from the trough and observe just how deep in the swine I am, but that's too depressing and eventually I dive back in.

D-FENS said:

Consumers are sheep.  That's the whole point of advertising.  We are conditioned to consume on an enormous scale. 

Personally, I like to consume to a near Nero like capacity.  I think the only thing that has saved me from total ruination is the ability to occasionally look up from the trough and observe just how deep in the swine I am, but that's too depressing and eventually I dive back in.

Lets not forget the product has to actually appeal to them.

Calling them sheep downplays the sheer awesomeness of the Kinect. The mass marketing exist because of the massive interest being shown in the product.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

All talk of babt seals aside:

Interesting the standalone Kinect gets the biggest jump. I wonder if it's people ordering it who already have 360, or people who think that it might be a stand alone console and they don't realise you need a 360 to use it. This is a response to an Oprah show after all, some people who watch that show could make such a mistake.

Honestly I expected a much bigger spike for the console Kinect bundles. Surely the reason to go on a show like Oprah isn't only to get Kinect sales up, but to also push more 360's themselves (obviously did have that effect, but double digit  increasing sales from a relatively low base level of pre-orders is only mildly impressive.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

cool8man said:

Yes it's all due to Oprah. It has absolutley nothing to do with the major TV and internet advertising campaign that started last week.

Well the only thing I watch on TV is Oprah, and since when did they start advertising things on the internet?

Around the Network

sales jumped from 0 units to 0 units, impressive - ah yea there certainly were some new pre-orders after Kinect was shown at Oprah

I am going to have to start questioning why people still think Amazons sales are a poor barometer. They are now the number 1 online retailer so any information about sales is going to be important. I grant you it is frought with danger but to dismiss it because of where Amazon was positioned some 2 or more years ago is folly.

Also moving on to the "oprah" effect. She very clearly does have an effect in the US and the very market Microsoft are after you could say is Oprah's audience. So yeah they whooped it up but you only have to watch the HSN network sell 2000 overpriced 4GB Kinect bundles in 15 minutes to understand that Kinect has the potentially to be huge in the casual market.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

I'll bet she can even sell a turd..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Oprah can sell ice to eskimos.