By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Kinect Sales Jump After Oprah Appearance

welshbloke said:

I am going to have to start questioning why people still think Amazons sales are a poor barometer. They are now the number 1 online retailer so any information about sales is going to be important. I grant you it is frought with danger but to dismiss it because of where Amazon was positioned some 2 or more years ago is folly.

Also moving on to the "oprah" effect. She very clearly does have an effect in the US and the very market Microsoft are after you could say is Oprah's audience. So yeah they whooped it up but you only have to watch the HSN network sell 2000 overpriced 4GB Kinect bundles in 15 minutes to understand that Kinect has the potentially to be huge in the casual market.

I find amazon to be a very accurate barometer , only when it comes to sales of new games. Games that do great on amazon and are in the top-10 for weeks before, and after, release sell huge numbers . It's not that great of a barometer for hardware numbers though , for some reason .

However if you check many online sites (amazon, eb games/gamestop, best buy) you can get a general sense of what is seling and what is not. 

Anyway people shouldn't be anxious about kinect , we'll see the effect of kinect in the market very soon and we'll see who is right, the people who think that there is huge demand for this thing or the people who think that this a a trick from MS.

Around the Network

Ellen showed off Kinect on her show recently, dancing to Dance Central. I think this appearance will boost Kinect sells by the boatload as it really shows people what Kinect can do:

http://ellen.warnerbros.com/microsoft-kinect/

pachoo5 said:

Ellen showed off Kinect on her show recently, dancing to Dance Central. I think this appearance will boost Kinect sells by the boatload as it really shows people what Kinect can do:

http://ellen.warnerbros.com/microsoft-kinect/

The Kinect segment was also on the same show featuring Michelle Obama so I think it probably a high viewer rate.

Just want to play good games

Seriously, MS has this Kinect shit on lock. They got Oprah, Ellen, Bieber and soon the 1st Family. All those people will cause a snowball effect for more celebs wanting to be down. It really is very smart on their part. All you gaming nerds that like dumping on Kinect seem to keep forgetting that you are not who MS is really after. They are focusing on the very people that give a shit what Oprah, Ellen, Bieber, the Obamas and pop culture celebs have to say. You can make fun of that all day long and point out to everyone on the net how lame Kinect is but that will have zero impact on the target audience. 

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

gonna be a lotta returns this holiday lolz

Around the Network

i pity the foo who doubts Oprah or Kinect!!! lol

Metallicube said:

LOL is this Sony defense force's new argument now that it is obvious Kinect will sell out this holiday season?

pachoo5 said:
Metallicube said:

LOL is this Sony defense force's new argument now that it is obvious Kinect will sell out this holiday season?

Metallicube is a part of us, the NINTENDO crowd.  Your assumption is an obvious fail from SONY hate.  BUSTED!!!

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Hey Oprah...stop your pointless yapping and tell me if Kinect will work with my projector setup? Will the DLP light fromt he projector interfere with the IR light in the device?