By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think Nintendo is making a mistake by releasing 3DS instead of Wii 2

i was looking at Ds sales and it's through the roof.it crushes everything .why is nintendo releasing a new model(hence destroying DS sales) when they could have focused on getting a Wii 2 to the market??

what do you think?

I think with Ds sales as high as we have now,,it would have been better not to introduce a new generation of DS

Around the Network

I think its because the DS software market has already peaked so its time for a new handheld.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

So it's best if Nintendo never releases 3DS? and besides they aren't releasing it this year, so DS has one last big Christmas sales.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Look at it this way. 

Nintendo had an opportunity to bring a unique value to handheld gaming: 3D display. This is a value that smartphones -- now emerging as the most serious competitor to the DS in handheld gaming -- cannot easily duplicate. Nintendo needs to execute on this opportunity before somebody else does.

Does the Wii have a similar opportunity? What can Nintendo bring to the Wii 2 that isn't already on the market? Not HD output, or online ecosystem, or media functionality.

The opportunity is there for handheld, and it isn't there yet for home console.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

It's fine imo, I think Nintendo is waiting for 3D to go glasses-less on HDTVs so they can launch a true 3D console.

Around the Network
famousringo said:

Look at it this way. 

Nintendo had an opportunity to bring a unique value to handheld gaming: 3D display. This is a value that smartphones -- now emerging as the most serious competitor to the DS in handheld gaming -- cannot easily duplicate. Nintendo needs to execute on this opportunity before somebody else does.

Does the Wii have a similar opportunity? What can Nintendo bring to the Wii 2 that isn't already on the market? Not HD output, or online ecosystem, or media functionality.

This not to mention that DS software and hardware will still sell well/okay after the 3DS releases. I don't have the numbers to back it up, but I'm pretty sure the GBA didn't just up and vanish when the DS came out.

xeroxm3 said:
famousringo said:

Look at it this way. 

This not to mention that DS software and hardware will still sell well/okay after the 3DS releases. I don't have the numbers to back it up, but I'm pretty sure the GBA didn't just up and vanish when the DS came out.

It didn't. The sales stayed healthy for a couple years after the DS launched.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

well, the wii2 would kill wii sales, while ds is likely to eat some 3ds sales........

They can’t just rush and release a new console just because the Wii has slowed down a bit. I mean the HD consoles sold like this and less before but that did not mean it was the end of them.

The time for the 3DS is next year and DS will continue to be sold along side of it. The next home console will be out 2012 I guess as there are still things that can be done. Rushing things out is not a good idea

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

But the DS is seeing bigger YOY losses than the Wii, isn't it? Also it seems like a good time to update the DS, while it would be awkward to release a new Wii after only 4 years (especially with it being such a success).

The sales of the Wii have weakened quite a bit, but that doesn't mean it's time to instantly release a new home console. Right now, I feel they just need to release software that better adheres to the expanded audience that made the Wii such a smash success.