By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think Nintendo is making a mistake by releasing 3DS instead of Wii 2

still there is VS and they can do another Wii something. i am sure they have stuff ready as someone ells said just because they are not showing things does not mean that they do not have stuff

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

I really dont think so. Wii is still selling best than the GameCube, if we compare is like this:

GC: 33,000

Wii: 138,000

Why they would like to kill their best selling system? (homeconsole)

With 3DS and DS they have a great combination.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

morenoingrato said:

well, the wii2 would kill wii sales, while ds is likely to eat some 3ds sales........

this

As darth already said it is more about software sales than hardware sales. The DS has sold 3 million more units than the Wii this year, but the Wii has sold 22 million more units of software, and that software difference is likely to increase a lot more by the end of the year. Nintendo just like all the console makers, make the most money off of software sales on their system, and that is why it is time for a new handheld system.

Beating the IPhone is more important.

morenoingrato on 10/26/10 22:25 GMT

well, the wii2 would kill wii sales, while 3ds is likely to eat most PSP2 sales

fxd

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

it feels like a good time to release the ds successor. I mean ps2 was released in 2001 (us) and ps3 in 2006 like gc and wii while ds in 2004 and 3ds in 2011, that´s even a bigger gap  between the consoles. the ds had a good long run.

Also not even the gba had that long of a run. it was released in 2001.

What came out first this gen, The Wii or the DS? I see no problem with them going for the same road...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!

I see no problem at all

Ever heard that the best time to introduce a new concept is when the last one is still in its prime?

The DS is doing great why not ride that momentum with a new handheld. Also you think Nintendo wasn't aware Sony was working on PSP2, they probubly even knew that Sony planned to release it next winter, they knew if they beat Sony to the punch and released something revolutionary that it would take the market by storm.

I think Nintendo did the smart thing by revealing the 3DS and those high DS hardware sales will continue thanks to continued software support and price cuts. When will Wii2 come? soon enough I'd say it'll be revealed next E3 but Nintendo couldn't release two platforms in the same year now could they, also Microsoft and Sony's next generation platforms aren't ready yet so why jump the gun early and run out of steam by the time the competition is ready.

I agree numbers wise the Wii is in alot more need for a replacement, but the DS is the smart move.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Joelcool7 said:

Ever heard that the best time to introduce a new concept is when the last one is still in its prime?

The DS is doing great why not ride that momentum with a new handheld. Also you think Nintendo wasn't aware Sony was working on PSP2, they probubly even knew that Sony planned to release it next winter, they knew if they beat Sony to the punch and released something revolutionary that it would take the market by storm.

I think Nintendo did the smart thing by revealing the 3DS and those high DS hardware sales will continue thanks to continued software support and price cuts. When will Wii2 come? soon enough I'd say it'll be revealed next E3 but Nintendo couldn't release two platforms in the same year now could they, also Microsoft and Sony's next generation platforms aren't ready yet so why jump the gun early and run out of steam by the time the competition is ready.

I agree numbers wise the Wii is in alot more need for a replacement, but the DS is the smart move.

Actually, while the DS sells more hardware, it sells less software. And YOY, it is down much more  than the Wii.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin