By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Blizzard has fallen

@Zenfolder, you might be right on some points but let me remind you of something Blizzard added to WoW that killed leveling in zones.  The dungeon finder killed normal leveling.  I was on a low pop pvp server before I quit (I then transferred my character to Blackrock for my friend to enjoy).  There was basically no one out leveling in the zones.  You could fly around Northrend (BC zones and classic zones) and maybe spot 2-3 people and they were probably bots.  The dungeon finder while helpful with leveling low level characters, semi killed the WoW experience.  When I left everyone just sat in Dal or major cities and did random dungeons/raids.  Very few people went out into the world or did world pvp.  Sure people will go out and explore redesigned areas but eventually I bet most people will just be stuck in major cities again queuing for the dungeon finder or waiting for raids.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:

@Zenfolder, you might be right on some points but let me remind you of something Blizzard added to WoW that killed leveling in zones.  The dungeon finder killed normal leveling.  I was on a low pop pvp server before I quit (I then transferred my character to Blackrock for my friend to enjoy).  There was basically no one out leveling in the zones.  You could fly around Northrend (BC zones and classic zones) and maybe spot 2-3 people and they were probably bots.  The dungeon finder while helpful with leveling low level characters, semi killed the WoW experience.  When I left everyone just sat in Dal or major cities and did random dungeons/raids.  Very few people went out into the world or did world pvp.  Sure people will go out and explore redesigned areas but eventually I bet most people will just be stuck in major cities again queuing for the dungeon finder or waiting for raids.

Yeah, but also, I think that is because it is very very fun to do dungeons, lol. You can also level through quest and Blizzard is helping to promote that. The random dungeon finder is awesome though, hehe. I have never played since it was added and I can't wait.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Blizzard overrated...lol...has anybody bothered to look at what their games do?  pure comedy on this site continues...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

I never was a big Blizzard fan (I liked Warcraft 1-3 and The Lost Vikings, hated Diablo and the genre it created, was never interested in StarCraft despite being a RTS fan or WoW), but I think you can't claim that Blizzard has fallen.

Your taste has probably changed.

Mine has, long ago: I'm an ex PC-only gamer who got bored of all PC franchises/genres (except Civ, Anno and point&click games) about 8 years ago. Then I bought my first console and games like Wind Waker, Wave Race, Metroid Prime or Paper Mario literally felt like a fresh air.

Today I wouldn't even be interested in Warcraft 4 if it was announced, although it would without a doubt be a great game.

sethnintendo said:

I used to be the biggest Blizzard fan there was or close to it.  I loved Diablo 1/2, Starcraft, World of Warcraft, and Warcraft 2.  It seems lately that I am not interested in any of their new titles.  I kicked my WoW addiction and pawned it off to one of my friends by giving my account away.  I don't see myself buying SC2.  I played the beta and I really didn't care.  Having split the game into 3 different games also helps me not buying it.  I can handle buying one expansion but buying 3 different full priced games is way beyond me.  Sure online is king in SC but to have the story split into three parts is unnecessary.  They did it just fine in Starcraft and Brood Wars.  I just looked at the Diablo 3 new class trailer and it barely interests me at all (makes me not even want to buy the game).  Sure I loved Diablo 2 but the grinding at the high levels was tedious, pointless, and boring.   I can go on and on about how Blizzard doesn't feel the same to me but perhaps my taste have changed (or perhaps Blizzard has failed to come up with something original in 8 plus years).   Anyone else feel disconnected from Blizzard?

http://www.starcraft-source.com/article/news/view/?id=261

Skip down to questions 7 and 8.

As for campaign modes, each game will have 30 missions. So that's a total of 90 missions across 3 games. Even in the original plus Brood War, there were only about 50 missions.

I'm not into Diablo so I can't speak for that.

And no, I love Blizzard more than ever.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:

Yea, after reading some responses it is apparent that I have changed my tastes.  I was a little hyped for SC2 but after fooling around with the beta I didn't see it warrant my purchase.  Perhaps I will give it a try when it goes on sale / discount.  Didn't they take the chat feature out of SC2 on battle net?  Sure it isn't needed but it was fun to go into chat channels and bs around with people. So I guess my taste have changed but they have done a few things in recent years that haven't helped me love them as much as I used to.

Some recent Blizzard blunders that had me starting to have negative feelings towards them include splitting SC2 into 3 parts (sure I'll take some of your word that they needed more missions but they could have just included more in the original release 20 per race then had 10-20 missions per race in the expansion), scrapping Starcraft Ghost (the game looked nice and seemed like it was going to be a very good game for the consoles), trying to implement real id on their forums (whoever thought of that should have been fired, was nice to see Blizzard community take arms against such a stupid idea), and threatening to ban people that backstab on SC2 (if they didn't want you to do it make the alliances locked permanently, sure I might have been an asshole during SC1 backstabbing people on vs comp games but it was hilarious).

Wow, after looking at the comments on that link you provided in a following post (here) it looks clear to me that people are just looking for excuses to hate on Blizzard. Anyone who actually plays ranked team matches would agree. The only way you can backstab a teammate is to manually click attack and clicking on each of the teammates units, which you'd only do if you really wanted to grief someone.

Yes, technically it is a part of the game. It is necessary to have it in the game for situational purposes (like destroying a building in the way). But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be bannable, as it is bad behavior, and undermines the purpose of the ranking system (screwing things up for everyone involved, winners and losers). It would be like complaining about how you can be booted out matches in FPS games if you team kill - why on earth would you defend this behavior?

I understand / agree with your other complaints, but I really don't think you can fault them for cancelling Starcraft Ghost. They thought the game wouldn't be up to their standards, so they scrapped it. This is why their record is so damn perfect, and I love them for it.

Oh, and finally, chat is being added in patch 1.2. Though I'm not sure when that'll come out, looking forward to it

Snesboy said:
sethnintendo said:

As for campaign modes, each game will have 30 missions. So that's a total of 90 missions across 3 games. Even in the original plus Brood War, there were only about 50 missions.

not to mention each game is going to have a unique twist and campaign advancement and a different way of telling the story as the walking around a ship talking to people doesn't really fit with the other races. So each campaign will feel unique...

well that's the plan anyway

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:
Snesboy said:
sethnintendo said:

not to mention each game is going to have a unique twist and campaign advancement and a different way of telling the story as the walking around a ship talking to people doesn't really fit with the other races. So each campaign will feel unique...

well that's the plan anyway

And when has Blizzard let us down? Pretty much never. They will deliver with the expansions.

I'll take your guys word for it on SC2.  I won't buy it till it sees a price drop or on sale.  I am not too much into multiplayer aspect so getting a late start won't bother me (I'm getting a little old/not as quick at RTS as I used to be but while I was playing the beta least there was a decent amount of people way worse than me).  Trying to be loyal Blizzard fan still pretty iffy about Diablo 3 but don't have to worry about that for another year or so it seems.  I am done with WoW for good though.  I miss it sometimes but then I remember all the games I haven't beaten or played (mainly cause of WoW).  I'd rather play games with an actual ending / not get caught up in game that distracts me from other games.

What exactly does Blizzard release as far as titles go?  They hit paydirt with an MMO, but they only have one, unlike most other companies that do MMOs.  They release other titles (outside of Diablo, RTS titles) so few and far between, your really have to have close to cult-like devotion to them, to have them on your mind that much.

I say it is hard to say Blizzard has fallen when WoW is that huge, and they release titles so infrequently that it is hard to tell if things tailed off or not.