By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Blizzard has fallen

sethnintendo said:

I used to be the biggest Blizzard fan there was or close to it.  I loved Diablo 1/2, Starcraft, World of Warcraft, and Warcraft 2.  It seems lately that I am not interested in any of their new titles.  I kicked my WoW addiction and pawned it off to one of my friends by giving my account away.  I don't see myself buying SC2.  I played the beta and I really didn't care.  Having split the game into 3 different games also helps me not buying it.  I can handle buying one expansion but buying 3 different full priced games is way beyond me.  Sure online is king in SC but to have the story split into three parts is unnecessary.  They did it just fine in Starcraft and Brood Wars.  I just looked at the Diablo 3 new class trailer and it barely interests me at all (makes me not even want to buy the game).  Sure I loved Diablo 2 but the grinding at the high levels was tedious, pointless, and boring.   I can go on and on about how Blizzard doesn't feel the same to me but perhaps my taste have changed (or perhaps Blizzard has failed to come up with something original in 8 plus years).   Anyone else feel disconnected from Blizzard?

Maybe if you got the game and played it you'd feel different....  Lots of people complain (whine) about the game being split into three, but each of those three is a large fully indepth game. There are something like 29 missions to do in the Terran campaing alone, which is as much as the original game with all the races combined, plus there is a lot more to do and a lot more story added inbetween missions. For the price, I gladly bought it, and not since .... well probably SC1 have I heard so many random strangers on the bus, or in class, or in random places talking about a game. It's hella popular, and Blizzard is just as kick ass as always.

Around the Network

i think it's just your tastes. i sipmly cannot wait for D3 or cata.

sethnintendo said:

@r505Matt, well I didn't know you couldn't unally but I assumed you could if playing a melee game.  Of corse even in SC1 you couldn't unally if playing teams game but most people played melee even with vs comp games.  In the melee game you could unally since you weren't even allied to begin with.   Here is the article so I just assumed you could unally perhaps in melee. 

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/81077/backstab-in-starcraft-ii-thats-a-ban/

I understand where you are coming from about single player.  I am not asking for double the content.  I am just asking for a release of full version and expansion.  I can handle 1 expansion but when they split it into three parts, it seems greedy to me.  You can cover a lot with 10-15 mission per race.  You don't need 20-30 missions each race to tell a story.  I think Blizzard has become more greedy and greedy as time has gone by.  They expect their fans to buy their games no matter what and they realize hell if we can just release 3 instead of 2 then might as well.  Next it will be 4 or 5 versions of game you have to buy. 

Also just wonder how you think real id is okay?  Anyone can pull up anything if your real name is exposed on internet.  A Blizzard employee dared people to try and find out his information trying to support real id and about hour or so later a person called them at work (at Blizzard) with his address, family names, etc.... 

In regards to real id, it's not like everyone sees it, only my real id friends (and friends of friends of I choose). It's nto public.

The desire to have more missions could be greed based or maybe this is what they've wanted to do all along, money aside. They say they kept coming up with ideas and soon enough they released they had too much for just one game. And it's not like you're payign $15 for a 3 map pack for some fps, you'll get your money's worth with each one (I hope). I know the first game was worth the money at least.

As for that article, notice the date, July 28th. Maybe back then you could un-ally, but that's no longer the case. You can manually target each unit, but there's always a way to grief your allies in these games. Either you kill their units, or if you can't, you can just block them in their base so they can't get out (they can't kill your units). And hardly anyone plays custom matchs vs. comps in SC2, it's mostly all ranked play (random teams specifically). If someone got banned for this, it would be from griefing in ranked play, no one gives a crap about custom matches. And I doubt this has happened since the very beginning of release because not a single person has been talking about it. I don't know why you're so hung up on it (busting out an article from July = hung up on it).

It's not like I'm upset or anything by this, I just think it's unfair that you judge a game so harshly without even playing it. You remind me of my friend that refuses to buy L4D2 (even when it was $7) because it came out so soon after L4D1. It doesn't matter to him that it's a superior game, because there's even the possibility of an ulterior motive (greed), he refuses to give it a chance. Maybe you should just give it a chance.

CATA.

Here is their expansion pack.

A fucking DRAGON, goes apeshit, escapes, and burns the world down, and we get to play in the new world.

That is how you make an expansion pack.

Blizzard is at their peak imho.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Soleron said:
Killiana1a said:

For $300 you can play Modern Warfare 2 with less hardware worries than someone playing it on a $1500 PC gaming rig.

Hardware is really really cheap now. Excluding monitor and peripherals because the console doesn't have them, I could put together a PC that gives 360/PS3 like graphics for $300:

CPU $50 (X2 240)
Motherboard $40 (690G)
RAM $30 (2GB DDR2)
Graphics $50 (HD 4650)
Case PSU $40 (or use your current)
Optical Drive $20 (or use your current)
HDD $40 (or use your current)

Total: $270, or $170 if you use whatever computer parts you have now

Because you do own a computer right now, so just reuse it and add capable CPU/graphics/RAM.

Not $1500 at all.

Now I love my PC... And I use it for more than just gaming, (Solidworks engineering software.) And I agree that it doesn't cost 1500 dollars at all to get ps3 equivelent graphics. But you're also comparing costs to building it yourself compared to an already assembled PC (which is technically what the PS3 is) which would drive the costs up. Building a PC takes time and effort, that people may or may not hve.

Not everyone can build a PC. And Yes imo it is easy, but not necessarily for people that haven't done it before. And their's trial and error/compatibility problems that could occur and they could be like WTF what do I do now.

And you're also forgetting the O.S. Which unless you're stealing it, or are eligible for a student version or already have an existing OS. Costs 100 dollars. Or you use linux... but then it's gaming compatibility, is really small.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Soleron said:
Killiana1a said:

For $300 you can play Modern Warfare 2 with less hardware worries than someone playing it on a $1500 PC gaming rig.

Hardware is really really cheap now. Excluding monitor and peripherals because the console doesn't have them, I could put together a PC that gives 360/PS3 like graphics for $300:

CPU $50 (X2 240)
Motherboard $40 (690G)
RAM $30 (2GB DDR2)
Graphics $50 (HD 4650)
Case PSU $40 (or use your current)
Optical Drive $20 (or use your current)
HDD $40 (or use your current)

Total: $270, or $170 if you use whatever computer parts you have now

Because you do own a computer right now, so just reuse it and add capable CPU/graphics/RAM.

Not $1500 at all.

That PC will NOT do graphics like the PS3. It might benchmark as high, but due to current PC game optimization and selection, the games won't come close to some top tier PS3 exclusives. That's my opinion. :P Matter of fact, most HD games, including The Witcher, would barely play at sub HD resolutions with that setup. Everything is a huge bottleneck. 2gb of DDR2, wtf, lol? That's barely gonna run Windows. Specs are not interchangable between consoles and PC. Due to game and OS and code optimization, I'd guess games run about 3x better on a console with similar specs.

I just built what I feel is a current gen gaming PC and I spend about 2000 dollars. Better gaming that console? Oh hell yeah. But I used quality components. Why would you want to buy shit just to scrap by. That PC you just built has been obsolete for years and won't play current games worth a shit.

That is incorrect. And Especially if you're using Win 7 32-bit.
For example I tested and benchmarked... because booting problems with the quad core.

I had a
M2N32-SLI AM2 Mobo
4gb 1066 ram, with 7-7-7-20 timings
Phenom II 940 Quad Core OC'ed to 3.6GHZ
2 8800 GT in SLI with 1GB combined video memory.

Got a 16900 3dmark06 score and played crysis warhead pretty much buttery smooth though Only in Mainstream with a few Gamer and Enthusiast tweaks added in Crysis Warhead.

But I had posting problems do to the ram being finicky on the board.
M2N32-SLI AM2 Mobo
2gb 800 ram, with 6-6-6-18 timings though this was OC'd to 980MHZ
Phenom II 940 Quad Core OC'ed to 3.6GHZ
2 8800 GT in SLI with 1GB combined video memory.

Got a 17500 3dmark06 score, and warhead pretty much buttery smooth though Only in Mainstream with a few Gamer and Enthusiast tweaks added in Crysis Warhead.

4gb is not needed... there are articles proving that in many games it shows no benefits over 2gb. Crysis it does show benefit... But also the timing/speed has a benefit as well.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

CATA.

A fucking DRAGON, goes apeshit, escapes, and burns the world down, and we get to play in the new world.

I agree, Blizzard's doing just fine. Hell, this cinematic alone makes me wanna go back to playing WoW. *Mournful sigh*

Ninpanda said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

CATA.

I agree, Blizzard's doing just fine. Hell, this cinematic alone makes me wanna go back to playing WoW. *Mournful sigh*

...and all will burn beneath the shadow of my wings.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Ninpanda said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

CATA.

At first I thought you were joking but it seems that you think the expansion is top notch.  It seems like a joke to me.  They are making older dungeons higher level and adding a few extra things.  Changing the Barrens to more wet cause Winterspring melted doesn't seem too innovative to me.  Change a few textures here and there and bam you have expansion.  They put little effort into this expansion and will probably only show its true color after numerous patches.  Granted I have been out of the loop on WoW info but I have a few friends (who are still playing) think the expansion isn't that inspiring. 

sethnintendo said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Ninpanda said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

CATA.

At first I thought you were joking but it seems that you think the expansion is top notch.  It seems like a joke to me.  They are making older dungeons higher level and adding a few extra things.  Changing the Barrens to more wet cause Winterspring melted doesn't seem too innovative to me.  Change a few textures here and there and bam you have expansion.  They put little effort into this expansion and will probably only show its true color after numerous patches.  Granted I have been out of the loop on WoW info but I have a few friends (who are still playing) think the expansion isn't that inspiring. 

Well, first and formost, you can now play as a werewolf. That, alone, makes this the best thing to ever happen in a game.

Second, imo, I think the changing of the old zones is WONDERFUL, lol. Those zones are the ones I "grew up" in. I remember and cherish every nook and cranny of them. I took MANY characters up to level 60 through the barrens, and I can't wait to see them changes, lol.

Plus, this is the first expansion to really focus on the best part of WoW. Leveling. A lot of the improvements in the game have taken place in the leveling up and grinding process.

Finally, there is the total revamp of the classes, the talent point system, and the talents themselves, along with the buffing of all the classes.

To be honest, I have never been this excited about the game. I think everything about this expansion pack is designed to get old players like me back into the game.

However, the expansion does seem to alienate the more core players, and again, seems to be designed around appealing to old and casual players and attempting to get people to reroll and redesign their playstyle. That is probaby why your current WoW playing friends aren't real excited about it.

It's a whole new game, really.

NO NO, NO NO NO.