By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Blizzard has fallen

NiKKoM said:
akuseru said:

Who the hell is Blizzard? These days, they are called Activision Blizzard, and yes they have fallen... fallen a long way down, not able to climb back up. They think solely about money now, not 'fanservice' or any of that crap.

Uhm... the developer called Blizzard Entertainment... not the publisher....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_Entertainment

I know =) lol. I was just taking a piss. However, I do feel that many of their decisions are still plagued by the merger. Like chopping the game up into three different games. Some features on Battle.net, or the lack of certain features.

Even though their name is Blizzard Entertainment, their name (and game) has still been tainted, in my eyes.

Around the Network

Surley they take a long time making a game but wow is stll alive and u don't need to release a successor unless it starts to fade , the sc2 is doing well , with many people now turning away from strategy genere

I think they didn't fall , but I do beleive that their name should be around much more they need to produce more titles , and not all titles should be as big as wow or sc2

scottie said:

SC2 WoW expansion Diabolo3 all within a short time = Bliizard has enterd a golden age. All we need know is some Lost Vinkings!!

Ooh, ooh, and some Rock n' Roll Racing while we're at it!

Killiana1a said:

Furthermore, considering how good the quality and quantity of PC games there were before the World of Warcraft (Released in 2004) compared to a year to two after, I fully place the lion's shares of the blame on WoW for essentially killing the PC gaming market and leaving it a beggar for console ports and the occasional great PC exclusive.

That is ridiculous. As if big budget PC exclusives would be coming left and right had WoW not come along...

@OP: WoW is still doing great (try patch 4.0 if you're bored), with Cata on the way. Starcraft 2 is, well, Starcraft. Ignore the 3 part game thing, Wings of Liberty stands on its own as a full game. As long as Diablo III doesn't disappoint, I don't see the problem at all (besides insanely long release times). Your disconnect from Blizzard is just your own disinterest.

Blizzard is still the best gaming company around. (least in the west, IMO)

c0rd said:
Killiana1a said:

Furthermore, considering how good the quality and quantity of PC games there were before the World of Warcraft (Released in 2004) compared to a year to two after, I fully place the lion's shares of the blame on WoW for essentially killing the PC gaming market and leaving it a beggar for console ports and the occasional great PC exclusive.

That is ridiculous. As if big budget PC exclusives would be coming left and right had WoW not come along...

Why would big budget PC exclusives come around when the 360 and PS3 serving larger markets and almost on par (not Crysis like graphics capability) with the PC in terms of graphics arrived as a platform for higher sales? No need to answer as I did in the question.

Around the Network
libellule said:
sethnintendo said:
scottie said:

WoW is currently as big as it ever has been, 12 million active accounts. Cata will be huge. 

SC2 doesnt overly appeal to me, but it's selling very well.

Diabolo3 is coming out soon I believe, some of my friends are very hyped for it.

SC2 WoW expansion Diabolo3 all within a short time = Bliizard has enterd a golden age. All we need know is some Lost Vinkings!!

No, I think Blizzard has past its' golden age.  Blizzard's golden age was when they released Diablo 1/2, Starcraft, Warcraft 3 and was about to release WoW.

well, you cant be that hard

SC2 is a big hardcore success !!!

You appear to just do not like SC2 ...

SC2 is not hardcore. It's a severely dumbed down BW

I LOVE ICELAND!

It seems that Blizzard are doing their best to destroy the E-sports that was built up becasue of SC:BW.

Signs of them falling emerged when they announced no LAN for SC2.

They still make the best games ever, mostly because allmost all game makers suck nowadays, so their games look good when compared to the usual crap the game industry shovels out. But the magic is not there anymore.

I hope the next Blizzard game bombs hard. That would teach them a lesson about not changing what made them good.

I LOVE ICELAND!

I loved Starcraft, never played Diablo but played WoW for quite a bit. I played SC2 for 2 hours before stopping and give away it. And after trying Guild Wars WoW seems just an extremely overstimated game...really, I don't think Blizzard is a bad developer, they're one of the greatest for PC gaming. Just that they're not perfect as some people want to believe...Starcraft 2 to me seems pathetic compared to other RTS...ok, nostalgia factor, but how about bringing in something really new into the formula?

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Lol, uhm SC2 in my humble opinion is one of the best games of the decade. I play it almost every day and I'm loving every second of it.

And I love that they give us 3 campaigns that feature everything they want instead of making compromises by giving us 9 or 10 missions per race. Btw afaik the other 2 campaings won't be full priced and well even if they are PC Games are like 20€ less than console games anyway.

sethnintendo said:

I used to be the biggest Blizzard fan there was or close to it.  I loved Diablo 1/2, Starcraft, World of Warcraft, and Warcraft 2.  It seems lately that I am not interested in any of their new titles.  I kicked my WoW addiction and pawned it off to one of my friends by giving my account away.  I don't see myself buying SC2.  I played the beta and I really didn't care.  Having split the game into 3 different games also helps me not buying it.  I can handle buying one expansion but buying 3 different full priced games is way beyond me.  Sure online is king in SC but to have the story split into three parts is unnecessary.  They did it just fine in Starcraft and Brood Wars.  I just looked at the Diablo 3 new class trailer and it barely interests me at all (makes me not even want to buy the game).  Sure I loved Diablo 2 but the grinding at the high levels was tedious, pointless, and boring.   I can go on and on about how Blizzard doesn't feel the same to me but perhaps my taste have changed (or perhaps Blizzard has failed to come up with something original in 8 plus years).   Anyone else feel disconnected from Blizzard?

So you don't love 2 of Blizzard's most recent games (WC3 and SC2) and you just assume they've fallen? And I applaud the decision to split SC2 into 3 games. WIngs of Liberty is great on it's own. The single player experience is leagues better than SC1 BW's single player experience, and it's only 1/3rd of the pie? Hell yeah! Give me more!

As someone else stated, I think your perspective has changed. SC2 is one of the highest quality releases I've seen. Not that this means much, but one of my friends HATES single player in games, he thinks it's a waste of time. He played the entire single player of SC2 in one sitting. If Blizzard can make someone like him do that, then there's no way I can believe they've fallen.

You say "or perhaps Blizzard has failed to come up with something original in 8 plus years" but they are innovating. They aren't creating new franchises, but strenghtening what they have. Their goals don't seem to innovate for innovation's sake (which is wrong in my opinion) but to create solid and fun gameplay experiences (well, and make money of course). In that, they are the kings.