By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN: No hype for ZELDA :(

This is a new post on IGN about the lack of hype for the new Zelda:

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, and the Great Gold Hype

Link's back! 5 reasons you're not excited, and 5 reasons you should be.

What Went Wrong

A Picture's Worth A Thousand (Angry) Words
It all began when, during a developer roundtable in 2009, series creator Shigeru Miyamoto revealed the first image of the then-untitled Skyward Sword: a single piece of concept art depicting a swordless Link next to a never-before-seen, extremely swordlike character. Tongues immediately began to wag. No sword? No sword? Although nothing had been confirmed (and, indeed, E3 2010 disproved the ridiculous notion that there could be a Zelda title without a sword), the seed of skepticism had been planted.

Get Real
That first image also proved to be unintentionally misleading as to what direction Skyward Sword was going to take graphically. Although future concept art would feature an altogether different visual style, in the original image, Link's design was nearly identical to that in Twilight Princess. This gave the impression that Skyward Sword would follow in the footsteps of Twilight Princess' more realistic graphics, perhaps even share its use of darker themes. Indeed, the idea of a Zelda title with more mature themes and that was built from the ground up for Nintendo's current generation of hardware was terribly exciting (while Twilight Princess was impressive, it was created for the GameCube, and only had motion controls added later on in its development cycle).

All such speculation came to a screeching halt, however, at E3 2010, when the first trailer revealed a much brighter, more painterly style than was anticipated, dashing the hopes of many fans who thought the title would push the Wii's graphical capabilities to its limits and show off what the system was really capable of (which it actually does, just not in the way that was expected).

The Tiny Toon Adventures of Link
For many, another strike against the new art style was that it was immediately likened to the cheerful and kid-oriented graphics of Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. While these titles are loved by many, and for good reason, they were also the first entries in the series with a difficulty level that was severely lower than past Zelda games, making them more accessible to a broader audience. While all these games were well-received both commercially and critically, the fact that the follow-up to Twilight Princess shared a slight graphical correlation with them made many fans fear that this game, too, would cater more toward the new Zelda audience than the established one.

Upon closer inspection, it became apparent that Skyward Sword had its own, unique art style. But the initial shock and concern is understandable considering that Zelda, a series that has traditionally belonged exclusively to the hardcore, has been slowly moving away from its initial audience, making some fans fearful that they'll never see another truly challenging Zelda experience again.

The Demo from Hell
The demo displayed at E3 2010 directly following Skyward Sword's premiere trailer also didn't help raise expectations. Usually audiences watch with bated breath as Miyamoto-san reveals his newest Zelda creation, eyes wide with wonder as they soak up every word out of his mouth. This past conference, however, was riddled with unfortunate technical errors, resulting in a terrible unveiling of Skyward Sword to the world.

Instead of dazzling onlookers with one-to-one swordplay, more strategic enemies and brand-new items, the demonstration made it seem like the game just plain didn't work. Sure, people who actually got their hands on the title on the show floor later confirmed that the malfunctioning controls were, indeed, just a technical error and that the game worked beautifully. But those watching from home weren't so lucky— they were forced to either take this on faith and ignore the terrible show or severely lower their expectations lest their hopes be dashed.

The Thrill is Gone (For Some)
While the tech demo was a giant failure, the trailer alone should have been enough to get people excited, but this too inspired more negativity than enthusiasm. Aside from revealing the new style of graphics, the trailer also made it evident that many items and gameplay mechanics that have always been Zelda staples would be returning in Skyward Sword. For many fans, this was wonderful news, but for others it was downright infuriating. As with any series that's been around for such a long time, fan frustration is inevitable if too many things remain unchanged from year to year. Skyward Sword is no exception, and some were disappointed that the game seemed too similar to past entries in the series.

The Bright Side

Something Old…
While the many returning items and mechanics are, as stated above, a huge downside for some, for others they're a big plus. Some things in Zelda will always be mainstays, and if they weren't, it would cease to be Zelda and become something else entirely. If you're not interested in playing as a Hylian in a green tunic and pointy hat, wielding a sword to vanquish enemies and grass alike, breaking pots, solving puzzles, or collecting items to help you defeat new bosses and further explore the world map, then chances are Zelda is not for you, and it never will be.

If you enjoyed these things in past entries, however, there's a reason you enjoyed them, and as long as they continue to hold up to the quality standards of past titles, there's no reason you wouldn't have a blast experiencing them again in a new game with a different setting and story.

… And Something New
You don't want to pay $50 for the exact same game you've played countless times before. However, in addition to the tried and true, Skyward Sword has a lot of innovative, new concepts to bring to the table, things that have never been done in Zelda before. Most notably, it will be the first time players will get to wield the Master Sword with one-to-one precision, something that wasn't even possible 10 years ago.

Save for a few mini-game collections and sports titles, there has yet to be a Nintendo-developed game that has fully utilized the Wii Motion Plus technology, and if all goes to plan, Skyward Sword should fill that gaping void and, hopefully, pave the way for other titles. With Sony and Microsoft now jumping into the motion control landscape, this is Nintendo's chance to show what the Wii Motion Plus technology is made of. If Skyward Sword delivers on its lofty promises, it won't disappoint.

Fan Service
For longtime fans of the series, or even those looking to jump in with this new title, Skyward Sword has a lot to offer in the way of expanding Link's world. It has already been revealed that the story will include an explanation as to the origin of the Master Sword, a weapon that has been shrouded in awe and mystery since Zelda's SNES days. The game will also offer the largest and most expansive Hyrule yet, giving players the chance to explore the land in greater detail and glory than ever before.

Making a Good First Impressionism
Despite how unexpected they were when they were revealed, Skyward Sword's graphics are also something to look forward to. Although Skyward Sword is undeniably not as dark or realistic as Twilight Princess, this doesn't detract from the stunning quality of its presentation. The impressionistic backgrounds which blend into the distance like a Monet painting come-to-life, as well as the vibrant and bold color palette, are a sight to be seen, proof that a game needn't be realistic to be jaw-dropping.

Blades Will Bleed (Albeit Metaphorically)
While Skyward Sword may share some visual similarities with Wind Waker, the few glimpses of gameplay we've seen so far already suggest that it will be a very different experience.
While Skyward Sword may share some visual similarities with Wind Waker, the few glimpses of gameplay we've seen so far already suggest that it will be a very different experience.
If the demos and trailer are any indication, Skyward Sword will mark a return to more strategic and, hopefully, more challenging enemies, which should lay any fears of a too-casual experience to rest, at least until further evidence to the contrary presents itself.

Sure, the most you'll see in the way of blood and violence is a little cloud of skull-shaped smoke rising from the ashes of slain enemies, but that won't change the fact that you'll have to slice and dice with the best of 'em to survive.

There's no guaranteeing that Skyward Sword will be the next Ocarina of Time. Few games have the honor of making such a mark on the gaming world. Regardless, Skyward Sword's creators have offered plenty of tantalizing tidbits to get excited about, and it is an injustice to this legendary series (and to yourself) to write it off so soon. We shouldn't turn a blind eye to the things that could possibly prove problematic, but we also shouldn't allow them to ruin one of the best parts of gaming—The Great Gold Hype. So get pumped over the trailer, scour the new screenshots for clues and, whatever you do, don't count the Hero of Time out before the bell has even rung, or you might miss out on something special.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, what do you think? Do you have any reason to be hyped for the next The Legend of Zelda?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

I'm not particularly hyped, but I'm sure it will be fine.

There is no hype...because we haven't received new information in 5 months.

We still do not have a release date. Hard to get excited about something you still know nothing about besides a few items and Link's bitchin' running animation.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Since Nintendo reveled that this game would be a motion plus exclusive it became my most anticipated game of the whole gen.

I'm sure it will be as good as any other Zelda. But Nintendo really fucked up with that failed demo and lame trailer. I was more excited for Phantom Hourglass than I am this. Definitely the least hyped in the series in recent memory.

Around the Network
SaviorX said:

There is no hype...because we haven't received new information in 5 months.

We still do not have a release date. Hard to get excited about something you still know nothing about besides a few items and Link's bitchin' running animation.

I think we need a real trailer. The "trailer" they show at E3 was only focuses on gameplay. We need to see cities, people and of course, Skyloft. :D

adsl said:

Since Nintendo reveled that this game would be a motion plus exclusive it became my most anticipated game of the whole gen.

Mine too... but even before was announced :P

I am a skeptical about this game.

I loved all Zelda games until I wen t to play the DS ones... Forgive me but I never expected to get bored so easily in a Zelda game. And two games to be exact.

I love Twilight Princess, but even though the story was one of the best in the series,  the gameplay left me with more worries than ever. I could rarely find a challenge except in the Desert's secret dungeon. I am starting to lose faith. Even with the motion-plus controls, the fact that you need to do the "right slash" does not add challenge to the game. I want a Zelda game in which I die, like in the older titles. If it focuses too much on puzzles and "potential gimmicky" I will lose hope with the series as I did with Final Fantasy

I honestly believe that most of all, the exclusive Motion Plus controls is what's turning most people away. A game as lengthy as Zelda that is motion control dependent for combat and presumably puzzle solving to must sound downright scary to some people.

How technical is your game?

the_bloodwalker said:

I am a skeptical about this game.

I loved all Zelda games until I wen t to play the DS ones... Forgive me but I never expected to get bored so easily in a Zelda game. And two games to be exact.

I love Twilight Princess, but even though the story was one of the best in the series,  the gameplay left me with more worries than ever. I could rarely find a challenge except in the Desert's secret dungeon. I am starting to lose faith. Even with the motion-plus controls, the fact that you need to do the "right slash" does not add challenge to the game. I want a Zelda game in which I die, like in the older titles. If it focuses too much on puzzles and "potential gimmicky" I will lose hope with the series as I did with Final Fantasy

Well, I think de DS ones were great, but not for a Zelda game. They were to similar. IMO

I love TP too, but the beggining was slow and the enemies hurt Link with petals and feathers. From what I see at the demo, the enemies do one attack - one heart.; and a lot of people that play the game used the four potion bottles.

At least, this make me feel optimistic.