By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

PS3 vs N64

N64 292 46.65%

PS3 332 53.04%

Total:624

PlayStation3 wins for me.

I have never been a fan of the Nintendo64; all I remember its games were a blur-fest and fog-fest. I spent way more time playing both the Sony PlayStation and Sega Saturn.

Around the Network

Well, lemme say a bit more for my reasoning:

N64 Library: 40 games

PS3 Library(including PSN & PS1 Classics): 20 games.

If looked just at exclusives and no back compatibility?

It's kinda hard for me. I don't know. I love the PS3. It's my second fav console this gen. However, I just liked the exclusives for the N64 for the most and the N64 will always some of the best local multiplayer games of all time. I didn't have a PS1 back then, and even now, looking at the library of the PS1(which as many great games), I have no regrets.

ZechsMerquise said:
Antabus said:
ZechsMerquise said:
hikaruchan said:
ZechsMerquise said:

Clearly anyone saying PS3 wan't actually around in the N64 days! The N64 was revolutionary, the PS3 is evolutionary. There are several N64 games which not only rewrote the rules on gaming and defined whole new genres, but are still just as playable today as they were back then.

The PS3 may have some good games, but none of them have done for gaming what the likes of Mario 64, Zelda OOT and Goldeneye have.

That is just an insult to everybody who preferred the Games on SONY PlayStation back then I myself was on of them I loved the NES and the SNES but the N64 for me was a let down. no JRPGs to speak of no MGS no Policenauts  and so on. 

The fact that people are excited to have Zelda:OOT re-released on the 3DS speaks volumes.

What's more this thread has nothing to do with PS1, it's about N64 vs PS3, of which the N64 line up clearly did more for gaming than the PS3 line up.

And I guess FF7 hd remake would not get people excited? I also don't understand what did the N64 do what PC's and PS1 did not do back then?

Of course a Final Fantasy 7 remake would get people excited. But FFVII held more people due to it's story and characters than it did due to it's gameplay.

The impact of games like Mario 64, Zelda and Goldeneye were down to the major leap forward the gameplay took. The N64 successfully took console gaming into the 3rd dimension and brought about changes that have laid the foundations for games since then.

Nearly every 3D platform game is compared to Mario 64, which says an awful lot considering it was released well over a decade ago. It's camera system and gameplay still stand up today. The same is true of Zelda on the N64. These games had a massive impact and saw analogue control become an industry standard.

But as I said, this isn't about the PS1, it's about the PS3. The PS3 has seen gaming evolve, the games have better graphics, bigger environments and have more going on onscreen, but that's an evolution of last generation. The N64 was revolutionary, it took beloved franchises into the 3rd dimension and did it in such a way that those titles are still the bench marks for today's games.

It also isn't about which console "revolutionized" gaming more. It is about which console has better games.

But all I get from your post is that on N64 those nintendo franchises went 3d. Guess what? PC had 3d games many years before N64, PS1 at the same time. If I remember correctly, N64 had only one analog stick while PS1 had 2 of them. Goldeneye64 sucked when compared to the shooters on pc back then. It did not add anything to shooter gameplay.

N64, Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 are better then any PS3 game. There are a lot of good PS3 games but they aren't that memorable expect MGS4 but that's because of the ending.

The PS3 always will have the best games of any console EVER.

How can you go wrong with PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSN games?

...(60GB)

Around the Network

PS3 has Sega games N64 doesn't therefore PS3 wins ;)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

ZechsMerquise said:
Antabus said:
ZechsMerquise said:
hikaruchan said:
ZechsMerquise said:

Clearly anyone saying PS3 wan't actually around in the N64 days! The N64 was revolutionary, the PS3 is evolutionary. There are several N64 games which not only rewrote the rules on gaming and defined whole new genres, but are still just as playable today as they were back then.

The PS3 may have some good games, but none of them have done for gaming what the likes of Mario 64, Zelda OOT and Goldeneye have.

That is just an insult to everybody who preferred the Games on SONY PlayStation back then I myself was on of them I loved the NES and the SNES but the N64 for me was a let down. no JRPGs to speak of no MGS no Policenauts  and so on. 

The fact that people are excited to have Zelda:OOT re-released on the 3DS speaks volumes.

What's more this thread has nothing to do with PS1, it's about N64 vs PS3, of which the N64 line up clearly did more for gaming than the PS3 line up.

And I guess FF7 hd remake would not get people excited? I also don't understand what did the N64 do what PC's and PS1 did not do back then?

Of course a Final Fantasy 7 remake would get people excited. But FFVII held more people due to it's story and characters than it did due to it's gameplay.

The impact of games like Mario 64, Zelda and Goldeneye were down to the major leap forward the gameplay took. The N64 successfully took console gaming into the 3rd dimension and brought about changes that have laid the foundations for games since then.

Nearly every 3D platform game is compared to Mario 64, which says an awful lot considering it was released well over a decade ago. It's camera system and gameplay still stand up today. The same is true of Zelda on the N64. These games had a massive impact and saw analogue control become an industry standard.

But as I said, this isn't about the PS1, it's about the PS3. The PS3 has seen gaming evolve, the games have better graphics, bigger environments and have more going on onscreen, but that's an evolution of last generation. The N64 was revolutionary, it took beloved franchises into the 3rd dimension and did it in such a way that those titles are still the bench marks for today's games.

I was born in 1982 I have been Gaming since I was 5 years old I have played all Consoles stating with the 8bit 3rd Gen on and owned almost all consoles from the 3rd Gen on.

SEGA was doing 3D on Consoles before Nintendo and it was the Success of Vertua Fighter that persuaded other Game developers that 3D was viable on Consoles. SONY benefited from this and signed 100s of Developers/Publishers for the new PlayStation. SONY also helped grew the Gaming industry about 10X bigger then it was in 1994. The major point is that the SEGA SATURN and SONY PlayStation were doing 3D on Consoles before N64.

What I can not understand is why so meany N64 fans ignore the impact on Gaming that so meany of games in the  SONY PlayStation library had. Squaresofts Final Fantasy VII was a revolutionary Game at the time and would not have been possabl on its final form on the N64 due to Cartridge limitations, Kojima Hideo san rebuted Metal Gear with Metal Gear Solid one of the most influential Games ever made. these are just two examples of meany influential Games on the SONY PlayStation. 

Yes this is about the N64 vs PS3 but do not ignore the fact that both SEGA and SONY had a huge impact on the world of 3D Gaming on Consoles.

Also like I said previously for meany people me included preferred the SONY PlayStation library of Games a library the the Ps3 benefits from today. with games like Metal Gear Solid 4 for example.

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

ZechsMerquise said:
Antabus said:
ZechsMerquise said:
hikaruchan said:
ZechsMerquise said:

Whilst I agree the platforming mechanics of Mario 64 were revolutionary, I'm not sure what either Zelda or Goldeneye were doing that was particularly revolutionary. They were great games but other games on PC and PS were far more influential.

N64, easyly

MY ZELDA COLLECTION

N64 had the best top titles, but PS3 has the best overall library.   Weird comparison imo.