By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

PS3 vs N64

N64 292 46.65%

PS3 332 53.04%

Total:624

Playstation 3 easy. I think i played my PS3 more in the first 6 months of owning it then i ever have played a N64 throught out the whole of its life

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Around the Network
ZechsMerquise said:

Clearly anyone saying PS3 wan't actually around in the N64 days! The N64 was revolutionary, the PS3 is evolutionary. There are several N64 games which not only rewrote the rules on gaming and defined whole new genres, but are still just as playable today as they were back then.

The PS3 may have some good games, but none of them have done for gaming what the likes of Mario 64, Zelda OOT and Goldeneye have.

This is... pretty subject, dude. Really don't appreciate the generalization. I didn't own a N64 but my brother did and I played quite a good deal of what most people consider the best on N64.

Also, interesting when looking at what D21lewis' and twesterm's posts. You point out games that were supposedly "genre defining/creating" but critics and PS3 gamers were saying the same about 2 PS3 games if i'm not mistaken [Heavy Rain and LBP] and this gen isn't over yet. One could argue that advancements in technology are the drive behind what's impressive about those games but so was popularization of 3D visuals--a tech based innovation--for those games that you mentioned. Everything felt new and refreshing back then.

The two systems are more comparable than you think and I think you're really undermining the PS3.

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/games.htm   

Look what N64 did for games. What I want to say is,  you can't doubt the quality of games such as Ocarina, Goldeneye and Mario64...

CGI-Quality said:

For library alone, the PS3. But, this is a weird comparison, but for the games, PS3 for me. The N64 still has one of my top games of all time, and two of my most played games of all time, but as a console, it's not quite on the same level with the PS3.

even so i hate myself for voting! PS3 and N64 are still my most played consoles (PS2 a close third) so its the hardest thing to chose between the 2.

i'm going to have a bad taste in my mouth for wk's! maybe even months for this one?

N64 had some of the highest rated titles ever.  However, this is the same situation that resulted in the PS1 smashing the N64.  N64 had a handful of freakin' amazing games, but then there was a drop off.  It's overall library cannot compete with the depth of the PS1, PS2, or PS3.  The PS1 and PS3 had too many great titles, the N64 cannot win off a few amazing ones.

Around the Network

I choose the N64 since Mario Kart 64 is STILL a better racing game than Mod Nation Racers.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Guys, I'm a sony fan as well, and I agree that ps1 is one of the greatest consoles ever,and that ps2 had major titles , but apart from Uncharted 2 ,I dont see any "great" titles on the ps3...they are many that are very good, but great is a big word...

Scoobes said:
ZechsMerquise said:
Antabus said:
ZechsMerquise said:
hikaruchan said:
ZechsMerquise said:

Clearly anyone saying PS3 wan't actually around in the N64 days! The N64 was revolutionary, the PS3 is evolutionary. There are several N64 games which not only rewrote the rules on gaming and defined whole new genres, but are still just as playable today as they were back then.

The PS3 may have some good games, but none of them have done for gaming what the likes of Mario 64, Zelda OOT and Goldeneye have.

That is just an insult to everybody who preferred the Games on SONY PlayStation back then I myself was on of them I loved the NES and the SNES but the N64 for me was a let down. no JRPGs to speak of no MGS no Policenauts  and so on. 

The fact that people are excited to have Zelda:OOT re-released on the 3DS speaks volumes.

What's more this thread has nothing to do with PS1, it's about N64 vs PS3, of which the N64 line up clearly did more for gaming than the PS3 line up.

And I guess FF7 hd remake would not get people excited? I also don't understand what did the N64 do what PC's and PS1 did not do back then?

Of course a Final Fantasy 7 remake would get people excited. But FFVII held more people due to it's story and characters than it did due to it's gameplay.

The impact of games like Mario 64, Zelda and Goldeneye were down to the major leap forward the gameplay took. The N64 successfully took console gaming into the 3rd dimension and brought about changes that have laid the foundations for games since then.

Nearly every 3D platform game is compared to Mario 64, which says an awful lot considering it was released well over a decade ago. It's camera system and gameplay still stand up today. The same is true of Zelda on the N64. These games had a massive impact and saw analogue control become an industry standard.

But as I said, this isn't about the PS1, it's about the PS3. The PS3 has seen gaming evolve, the games have better graphics, bigger environments and have more going on onscreen, but that's an evolution of last generation. The N64 was revolutionary, it took beloved franchises into the 3rd dimension and did it in such a way that those titles are still the bench marks for today's games.

Whilst I agree the platforming mechanics of Mario 64 were revolutionary, I'm not sure what either Zelda or Goldeneye were doing that was particularly revolutionary. They were great games but other games on PC and PS were far more influential.

Not sure I can explain Zelda. But Goldeneye? It pretty much brought shooters to consoles successfully. Can you name me a PS1 shooter that matches it? I mean, games like Disruptor and especially Medal of Honor were great, but they didn't replicate the success of Goldeneye.

OT: It's funny. I think the PS3 has a great variety in its exclusive library, much better than the N64. But in terms of just quality titles, N64 wins by a mile.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

huaxiong90 said:
Scoobes said:

Whilst I agree the platforming mechanics of Mario 64 were revolutionary, I'm not sure what either Zelda or Goldeneye were doing that was particularly revolutionary. They were great games but other games on PC and PS were far more influential.

Not sure I can explain Zelda. But Goldeneye? It pretty much brought shooters to consoles successfully. Can you name me a PS1 shooter that matches it? I mean, games like Disruptor and especially Medal of Honor were great, but they didn't replicate the success of Goldeneye.

OT: It's funny. I think the PS3 has a great variety in its exclusive library. But in terms of just quality titles, N64 wins by a mile.

It showed FPS' can be popular on consoles, but it did virtually nothing for the FPS genre beyond that and certainly not in gameplay mechanics. The controls (on consoles) were superceded by dual analog, the single player was nothing special, the health system was simply a sideways evolution of the health and armor bar in PC FPS' etc.

What it did well was a superb split screen multiplayer unmatched by anything at the time (and actually I can't think of anything that's really matched it). Revolutionary and influential though? Other than showing FPS' can be popular not so much. A revolutionary game in the genre would probably be Halo which came a generation later but which greatly influenced the mechanics, and gameplay experience of many FPS' after it.

Scoobes said:
huaxiong90 said:
Scoobes said:

OT: It's funny. I think the PS3 has a great variety in its exclusive library. But in terms of just quality titles, N64 wins by a mile.

It showed FPS' can be popular on consoles, but it did virtually nothing for the FPS genre beyond that and certainly not in gameplay mechanics. The controls (on consoles) were superceded by dual analog, the single player was nothing special, the health system was simply a sideways evolution of the health and armor bar in PC FPS' etc.

What it did well was a superb split screen multiplayer unmatched by anything at the time (and actually I can't think of anything that's really matched it). Revolutionary and influential though? Other than showing FPS' can be popular not so much. A revolutionary game in the genre would probably be Halo which came a generation later but which greatly influenced the mechanics, and gameplay experience of many FPS' after it.

Well yeah, it's the root of multiplayer gaming on consoles, that was my point. I am fully aware it did nothing new that PC shooters haven't.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!