By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect : $500 million in marketing, Will be bigger than Jesus!

This thread is full of idiocy.

The people who are assuming that Kinect will fail are just haters(cant use the real word for them, I'll get banned)

Kinect is brand new technology, devs have to get used to it before you see the best games, the devs that put more time and effort into making a kinect game instead of a wii port make better games. Thats why there is such a huge difference between games like Kinect Sports and  Dance Central Vs games like Deca Sports and Harry Potter.

MS can make this money back next year easily, the standalone bundle will make a small profit, but the real money will be made back with the console bundle, and more importantly, the games, if  half the games sell 500k over the next year they will make their money back easy.

and Lol at the guy saying move has sold 2 million units, they shipped alot, but they did not sell a lot.

Around the Network

That's just insane...

Imagine what one could do with $500,000,000... O_o

"Unlike with other consoles, including the Nintendo Wii, on which Kinect is modeled, there is no handset."

Does anyone see anything a little off in this sentence? Modeled? Inspired or some other word maybe, but "modeled" implies something technical, similarities of which are few.

leatherhat said:
TRios_Zen said:

This is actually a very interesting discussion:  Sony's advertising budget for 2008 was ~5 Billion.  About 4 times as large as Microsofts.

Here are links so I'm not accused of fudging numbers (I'm sure these could be verified in SEC filings as well):

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/0315c95c-d3a9-11de-8caf-00144feabdc0.html 

http://techcrunch.com/2008/11/21/yup-apples-advertising-budget-is-bigger-than-microsoft-vistas/

So it would appear that Sony COULD compete with that budget for the Playstation division, but they choose not to.

Sony has a lot more to advertise than just playstation

Funny, I used this same argument in this very thread about Microsoft and Apple.  But you are of course correct, Sony does have more than just Playstation. 

As a fan of the Playstation brand though, aren't you a little interested in what value Sony Corp puts on the Playstation brand vis-a-vis the marketing dollars they use to support it?

Microsoft's marketing team in the West just continue to amaze me. Honestly.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network
Wagram said:
daroamer said:
nostromos said:

That's really sad, this amount on advertisement is ridiculous. They could spend this amount of money on develloping better games

Thats not how business works.  It's not like if they didn't spend this marketing money on Kinect that it would get funneled into the game budgets, it would get moved to marketing a different product. 

Sony and Nintendo should actually be thanking Microsoft, the entire industry is down right now.  All this money is bringing focus to the entire video game industry in the grand scheme.  By targetting non-traditional gamers they are exposing a lot more people to the genre, even more than were already enticed by the Wii.  Some of those people will spill over into looking at the competing products.

I find that funny.

What's funny about it?  Are you staying it's funny that the industry is in decline?  Isn't anything that brings more people looking into buying a console and playing video games good for everyone?

Microsoft and Sony also owe Nintendo a debt for getting video gaming out to a wider audience with the DS and Wii.  You think Beyonce would have been doing ads for Playstation 2?  No.  Women were not even marketed to back then when it came to video games.

Anything to make video games more mainstream is good for the entire industry.  People worried that Kinect is taking the industry in the wrong direction are just being paranoid.  TV is as mainstream as you can get but just because they produce stuff like Glee doesn't mean you don't have shows like The Sopranos.

Ignore wagram, he thinks that MS and Nintendo should thank sony for letting them even be in a console race.

if this fails then can we assume M$ wont be staying in the gaming biz for too much longer?

Investors are already complaining

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

I like big budget, going to get an Xbox 360/Kinect bundle this winter.

Serious_frusting said:

if this fails then can we assume M$ wont be staying in the gaming biz for too much longer?

Investors are already complaining

Yeah, you wish, Investors complained about Sony losing all the profits they've made on ps2 with the ps3 but they are still here. GTFO with that crap.