By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect : $500 million in marketing, Will be bigger than Jesus!

daroamer said:
Wagram said:
daroamer said:
nostromos said:

That's really sad, this amount on advertisement is ridiculous. They could spend this amount of money on develloping better games

Thats not how business works.  It's not like if they didn't spend this marketing money on Kinect that it would get funneled into the game budgets, it would get moved to marketing a different product. 

Sony and Nintendo should actually be thanking Microsoft, the entire industry is down right now.  All this money is bringing focus to the entire video game industry in the grand scheme.  By targetting non-traditional gamers they are exposing a lot more people to the genre, even more than were already enticed by the Wii.  Some of those people will spill over into looking at the competing products.

I find that funny.

What's funny about it?  Are you staying it's funny that the industry is in decline?  Isn't anything that brings more people looking into buying a console and playing video games good for everyone?

Microsoft and Sony also owe Nintendo a debt for getting video gaming out to a wider audience with the DS and Wii.  You think Beyonce would have been doing ads for Playstation 2?  No.  Women were not even marketed to back then when it came to video games.

Anything to make video games more mainstream is good for the entire industry.  People worried that Kinect is taking the industry in the wrong direction are just being paranoid.  TV is as mainstream as you can get but just because they produce stuff like Glee doesn't mean you don't have shows like The Sopranos.

Microsoft advertising for their product has nothing to do with Sony or Nintendo. Why should they care? Kinect is a tech within the industry yeah. But Ninty/Sony don't need to thank them for shit.

Around the Network
Smeags said:

That's just insane...

Imagine what one could do with $500,000,000... O_o

You could launch a global marketing campaign for a new motion sensing device...

Jadedx said:

This thread is full of idiocy.

The people who are assuming that Kinect will fail are just haters(cant use the real word for them, I'll get banned)

Kinect is brand new technology, devs have to get used to it before you see the best games, the devs that put more time and effort into making a kinect game instead of a wii port make better games. Thats why there is such a huge difference between games like Kinect Sports and  Dance Central Vs games like Deca Sports and Harry Potter.

MS can make this money back next year easily, the standalone bundle will make a small profit, but the real money will be made back with the console bundle, and more importantly, the games, if  half the games sell 500k over the next year they will make their money back easy.

and Lol at the guy saying move has sold 2 million units, they shipped alot, but they did not sell a lot.

The same can be said for those who think Kinect will succeed just because 500 million dollars is being pushed at it. Personally I want Kinect to succeed but I think MSFT is being a bit excessive with their ad-campaign. Their price for the product definitely doesn't help them with this.

NeoRatt said:
Smeags said:

That's just insane...

You'd do that with 500 million? That's cool.

I'd get 100 million copies of Castlevania.

Actually, the poor college student in me was slightly depressed seeing all that money that I'll never have.

Jadedx said:
Serious_frusting said:

if this fails then can we assume M$ wont be staying in the gaming biz for too much longer?

Investors are already complaining

Yeah, you wish, Investors complained about Sony losing all the profits they've made on ps2 with the ps3 but they are still here. GTFO with that crap.

Why you being so confrontational for really. Am i not allowed to state something that investors and higher ups in M$ have been saying?

GTFO with your no one can say anything that isnt sucking up to my companies ass attitude.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Around the Network
Wagram said:
Jadedx said:

The people who are assuming that Kinect will fail are just haters(cant use the real word for them, I'll get banned)

Kinect is brand new technology, devs have to get used to it before you see the best games, the devs that put more time and effort into making a kinect game instead of a wii port make better games. Thats why there is such a huge difference between games like Kinect Sports and  Dance Central Vs games like Deca Sports and Harry Potter.

MS can make this money back next year easily, the standalone bundle will make a small profit, but the real money will be made back with the console bundle, and more importantly, the games, if  half the games sell 500k over the next year they will make their money back easy.

and Lol at the guy saying move has sold 2 million units, they shipped alot, but they did not sell a lot.

The same can be said for those who think Kinect will succeed just because 500 million dollars is being pushed at it. Personally I want Kinect to succeed but I think MSFT is being a bit excessive with their ad-campaign. Their price for the product definitely doesn't help them with this.

1. That makes no sense, if someone thinks it will be successful they cant be a hater.

2. I knew Kinect would be a success even before they announced this budget.

3. I've seen your posts over the last few months, I doubt you expect Kinect ot be successful.

Jadedx said:

There has been numerous websites that have sited the sales of Move. 

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/15/playstation-move-launch-sales/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-14/sony-sees-strong-europe-christmas-sales-says-ps3-may-beat-its-targets.html

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/10/14/sony-moves-1-5-million-moves-in-europe.aspx

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1128312p1.html

That is several of the industry's biggest websites all citing the same story. Kind of makes it seem legit. Add it the fact that 200k units of Sports Champions alone has been sold in the Americas then combine that with non bundled sales and people buying multiple Move controllers and 500k seems very feasible. 

That means Sony has sold around 2 million copies. And I guarantee they didn't spend 500 million to do that. Microsoft needs this to be a success and it probably will be but damn I can only imagine how many games they could develop for that amount. It seems like a waste to me.

Smeags said:
NeoRatt said:
Smeags said:

That's just insane...

I'd get 100 million copies of Castlevania.

Which Castlevania? The new one? 1 copy is enough if so... :)

Jadedx said:
Serious_frusting said:

if this fails then can we assume M$ wont be staying in the gaming biz for too much longer?

Investors are already complaining

Yeah, you wish, Investors complained about Sony losing all the profits they've made on ps2 with the ps3 but they are still here. GTFO with that crap.

If the unit cost $2B to develop and $500M for PR. And the unit is sold for $150. 

The unit must sell 16.67M units to break even, not factoring in manufacturing and transportation costs.

So they will not be making it back quickly.

What this says to me is that it is a long-term investment -- almost a console relaunch. The question is whether relying on a system which is five years old today will be a problem in two years when at least one of the competitors comes out with brand new hardware.

If I were an investor, I would be worried.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Jadedx said:
Wagram said:
Jadedx said:

1. That makes no sense, if someone thinks it will be successful they cant be a hater.

2. I knew Kinect would be a success even before they announced this budget.

3. I've seen your posts over the last few months, I doubt you expect Kinect ot be successful.

1.) Not about being a hater. Your comment about idiocy.

2.) You can see in the future? Wow, where can I do that?

3.) Just because I don't kiss every companys rear end and believe that everything will be immensely successful doesn't mean I want a product to fail.