By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect : $500 million in marketing, Will be bigger than Jesus!

Microsoft is gearing up for a massive marketing push to launch Kinect -- a controller-free Wii-killer for the Xbox -- and blow away the competition come Christmas.

Backed by a half-billion-dollar budget, the tech giant is rolling out a major movie-style marketing blitz aimed at driving its motion-sensing device to the top of holiday wish lists.

Like a much anticipated summer blockbuster, Kinect will appear on everything from soda cans to cereal boxes and will span television, magazines and the Internet.

The company began planning the launch 18 months ago with the help of Hollywood producer Steven Spielberg.

AP
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer

Microsoft, which has fallen behind competitors in areas such as smartphones and tablet computers, wants to ensure Xbox remains a major player in the video game business.

"Kinect is the largest, most integrated marketing initiative in Xbox history, bigger than its launch," said Robert Matthews, general manager of global marketing communications for Xbox. "We are going to be spending millions to launch this globally."

Microsoft launched Xbox in July 2000 with a $500 million marketing campaign, but part of that went to subsidies to make the hardware more affordable.

This time around Microsoft has struck a promotional partnership with Burger King. Four million cans of Pepsi and Diet Pepsi will plug Kinect, along with 60 million cereal and snack boxes from Kellogg's.

Meanwhile, some 7,000 retailers will stay open past midnight on Nov. 4 -- the day Kinect goes on sale -- to stimulate demand.

Kinect uses a sensor, camera and microphone to detect players' movements and translate them into on-screen actions, such as kicking a ball, dancing and driving a race car. The device will also respond to voice commands, such as "play a movie."

Unlike with other consoles, including the Nintendo Wii, on which Kinect is modeled, there is no handset. As an Xbox attachment, Kinect costs $149 for just the sensor and $299 for the console and sensor bundle.

Kinect will take over YouTube's home page and have a big presence on Nickelodeon and Disney digital properties. Microsoft, with the help of its ad agency, McCann Erickson, is spending ad dollars in places it doesn't normally to target moms as well as kids.

TV spots, created by AgencyTwoFifteen, will pop up on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" next Monday and on Fox's "Glee."

The print ad buy includes titles such as "People" and "InStyle," among others. Microsoft's Xbox team is also organizing a major outdoor event in Times Square, where many of the huge billboards will show Kinect ads.

The new device will face off against many other rivals, including the just launched Sony PlayStation Move bundle and perennial favorite Nintendo Wii.

The launch should help goose an industrywide slowdown in both video game hardware and software.

According to the latest NPD Group data, videogame hardware sales across the industry were down 19 percent in September compared to the same month a year ago.

So far this year, hardware sales are down 13 percent, to $3 billion, while video game software is off 8 percent to $4.93 billion.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/microsoft_move_3gVmAyryJuD6px1dV7LeDP?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz12iss83g4

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

I would love to work in MS' marketing department despite how much I despise the company as a whole.

They are probably one of the premier marketing departments in the world.

theprof00 said:

I would love to work in MS' marketing department despite how much I despise the company as a whole.

They are probably one of the premier marketing departments in the world.

They are spending 1 billion dollars on Kinect and WP7 in the next 3 months alone. Sony was right, they can't compete with that.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Not only that....but they are spending as much for kinect as for the phone. They really are a beast, and Sony must really be jealous. I'd be. What's the most Sony has ever spent on advertising the ps3 at any point in time, a few hundred mil? 

woooow. i would laugh soooooooo hard if starts selling terribly after its 1st week. that wont happen, but god the scale of the marketing shows that ms is shifting most of it attention to kinect and the casual market.

imagine if they make two consoles next gen :P

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Around the Network
theprof00 said:

Not only that....but they are spending as much for kinect as for the phone. They really are a beast, and Sony must really be jealous. I'd be. What's the most Sony has ever spent on advertising the ps3 at any point in time, a few hundred mil? 

I don't know if Sony is jealous because they don't seem like a comapny who would spent so much money which most will be in America for one product. Apple doesnt spend that much money.

Next Gen 

Microsoft sure likes to burn money. Now, even if Kinect sells a lot and they sell a lot of XBox's, they still have to recover it. And guess what? They will call it a sucess, even if they loose a lot of money (like it has been with the XBox).

Above: still the best game of the year.

Alan Wake 2

Crackdown 3

Banjo & Kazooi : Rare's Return

Lost Odyssey 2

Blood Wake 2

Kameo 2

MechAssault 3

Crimson Skies 2

Sudeki 2

Brute Force 2

With that money they can develop and market those games for 50 million each. I'm not liking all this motion control business.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Surely Kinect now needs to be a run away success if they ever hope to turn a profit on it, but im guessing this is more about expanding market share than increasing profits.

psrock said:
theprof00 said:

I don't know if Sony is jealous because they don't seem like a comapny who would spent so much money which most will be in America for one product. Apple doesnt spend that much money.

There's a direct correlation between how much MS games sell and how big their advertising budget was.

Sony may not be jealous of big advertising campaigns, but they are surely jealous of the headroom MS has in terms of expenditures. Like Beuli said, this is just like burning money. MS are in such a position that even if kinect fails horribly, the amount spent on advertising is not even a drop in the bucket. Sigh.