By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect : $500 million in marketing, Will be bigger than Jesus!

Squilliam said:

Incoming complaint -> They only succeeded because they heaps of advertisng. Will probably be seen Nov 2010.

I see this happening as well. Damn, this thread went to shit in the 5 hours I was not here...

Here is a question Squil... If Kinect is a massive success, and sells a boatload, eclipsing the Wii...Will Sony execs be kicking themselves and saying "Damn it, we copied the wrong shovelware filled peripheral?"

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Squilliam said:

Incoming complaint -> They only succeeded because they heaps of advertisng. Will probably be seen Nov 2010.

I see this happening as well. Damn, this thread went to shit in the 5 hours I was not here...

Here is a question Squil... If Kinect is a massive success, and sells a boatload, eclipsing the Wii...Will Sony execs be kicking themselves and saying "Damn it, we copied the wrong shovelware filled peripheral?"

I hope my posts didn't imply that I don't think move is a piece of shit as well. Motion gaming as a whole is a terrible thing. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

leatherhat said:
Mr Puggsly said:
leatherhat said:

No. Sony makes way more games. 

It will also continue to destroy the fps genre. So thats cool.

Doesn't matter how many games you put out. What makes you a big publisher/developer is sales and profits.

I don't recall Sony destroying the FPS genre. I don't think people point to Sony shooters when they are discussing the biggest shooters.

So you're one of those guys huh? One of those people who would rather ride a companies dick and want them to be in a better business position than make a better product. Cause you know from the consumers perspective its better have ten games than three. Regardless of sales. 

No they aren't. Maybe SOCOM. So you're right sony didn't destroy the fps genre, MS did. 

www.vgcharts.org

Go here and see if the FPS genre is dead commercially.

www.metacritic.com

Go here and see if the FPS genre is dead critically.

Honestly. I leave for two years and these are the arguments here?

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Shadowblind said:
leatherhat said:
Mr Puggsly said:
leatherhat said:

No. Sony makes way more games. 

It will also continue to destroy the fps genre. So thats cool.

Doesn't matter how many games you put out. What makes you a big publisher/developer is sales and profits.

I don't recall Sony destroying the FPS genre. I don't think people point to Sony shooters when they are discussing the biggest shooters.

So you're one of those guys huh? One of those people who would rather ride a companies dick and want them to be in a better business position than make a better product. Cause you know from the consumers perspective its better have ten games than three. Regardless of sales. 

No they aren't. Maybe SOCOM. So you're right sony didn't destroy the fps genre, MS did. 

www.vgcharts.org

Go here and see if the FPS genre is dead sales wise.

www.metacritic.com

Go here and see if the FPS genre is dead critically.

Honestly. I leave for two years and this is what has happened here?

Game reviewers and sales, perhaps my least two important metrics for determining game quality.

Time for hype

badgenome said:

If only they invested that much in making games.

I agree. If anything, this just reeks of desperation on their part. If they were so confident in this product, they wouldn't have to spend so much money on advertising for this thing. Even if this thing does turn out to sell well during next month & December, next year is when the real, true test of Kinect's popularity will begin. And I think that the popularity & hype for this thing is just going to fade into obscurity after December's over.

Sony barely advertised for PS Move & it has gotten about 1.5 million units sold in Europe alone.

Around the Network
leatherhat said:
disolitude said:
Squilliam said:

I hope my posts didn't imply that I don't think move is a piece of shit as well. Motion gaming as a whole is a terrible thing. 

The way I see it is that the day Sony and Microsoft got in to gaming and started their pissing match, I knew it would come down to this. When a company like Sega, who's been making games for 40 years gets booted out of the hardware industry due to the fact that it can't take as big of a loss on selling hardware as the other companies...the party is over. Afterwards its  all about bottom line ($$$)...

When you have 2 corporate giants like this who really are only in to gaming cause they saw a potential to make huge profits, and are trying to maximize revenue, they will not look to please the core gamers as that gets hard. Its easier to wow the non gaming crowd and take their dollars.

Of course, it took nintendo to give them an idea as coorporate giants are usually low on those...but once they have an idea, they can spend their stockpiles of cash on marektting it and make it more accurate and cool.

Now with all that core gaming pride talk aside....from a business perspective, its hard to deny the billiance of Kinect. Its much more marketable than Wii or PS Move.  MS isn't stupid and they know the idea of this tech will sell it...not the execution. So they want to make sure everyone knows its coming out...hence the large marketting budget.

disolitude said:
leatherhat said:
disolitude said:
Squilliam said:

The way I see it is that the day Sony and Microsoft got in to gaming and started their pissing match, I knew it would come down to this. When a company like Sega, who's been making games for 40 years gets booted out of the hardware industry due to the fact that it can't take as big of a loss on selling hardware as the other companies...the party is over. Its all about bottom line...

When you have 2 corporate giants like this who really are only in to gaming cause they saw a potential to make huge profits, and are trying to maximize revenue, they will not look to please the core gamers as that gets hard. Its easier to wow the non gaming crowd and take their dollars.

Of course, it took nintendo to give them an idea as coorporate giants are usually low on those...but once they have an idea, they can spend their stockpiles of cash on marektting it and make it more accurate and cool.

Now with all that core gaming pride talk aside....from a business perspective, its hard to deny the billiance of Kinect. Its much more marketable than Wii or PS Move.  MS isn't stupid and they know the idea of this tech will sell it...not the execution. So they want to make sure everyone knows its coming out...hence the large marketting budget.

Yeah I agree, it makes solid business success and they'll undoubtedly see great profits and sales with it. But as a consumer its hard  to watch them close down Ensemble and castrate Rare and then turn around and spend half a billion on Kinect. 

Time for hype

leatherhat said:

Keep telling  yourself that, and Ill just keep watching MS destroy companies like ensemble and pump a half a million into a shovelware filled peripheral.

Very impressive, with every post you become an even bigger troll.

They didn't pump half a million into, "a shovelware filled peripheral." That pumped half a BILLION. The Kinect is gonna sell a shit ton of units. On top of that, it'll boost console and software sales. I'm sure MS has plenty to spend on games as well.

I'm confused about the Ensemble Situation. Perhaps MS felt they didn't need a studio that was pretty much dedicated to creating RTS games. However, Robot Entertainment which is former employees of Ensemble are working on Age of Empires Online. Perhaps they also wanted to leave so they can do whatever projects they desired.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
leatherhat said:

Keep telling  yourself that, and Ill just keep watching MS destroy companies like ensemble and pump a half a million into a shovelware filled peripheral.

Very impressive, with every post you become an even bigger troll.

They didn't pump half a million into, "a shovelware filled peripheral." That pumped half a BILLION. The Kinect is gonna sell a shit ton of units. On top of that, it'll boost console and software sales. I'm sure MS has plenty to spend on games as well.

I'm confused about the Ensemble Situation. Perhaps MS felt they didn't need a studio that was pretty much dedicated to creating RTS games. However, Robot Entertainment which is former employees of Ensemble are working on Age of Empires Online. Perhaps they also wanted to leave so they can do whatever projects they desired.

That would be great If I could get a cut of each Kinect sold, but alas I cannot. As for age of empires, mmo being pumped into its veins was the last thing I needed to see. 

Time for hype

psrock said:
TRios_Zen said:
psrock said:
theprof00 said:

Not only that....but they are spending as much for kinect as for the phone. They really are a beast, and Sony must really be jealous. I'd be. What's the most Sony has ever spent on advertising the ps3 at any point in time, a few hundred mil? 

I don't know if Sony is jealous because they don't seem like a comapny who would spent so much money which most will be in America for one product. Apple doesnt spend that much money.

In 2009, Apple spent about 1/3 of what Microsoft did, so to some extent your point is true.

However, Microsoft has many more initiatives to cover: Windows, Office, Xbox, etc.  If I recall, Apples budget for the MAC OS ("Hi, I'm a Mac...") actually exceeded Windows Vista advertising by a substantial amount.

That being said, I think it's interesting that Kinect awareness in the pre-oder marketplace is a large as it appears, when the advertising hasn't really hit yet. 

MS marketing budget far exceed Apple's by a huge margin. Apple just have better marketing.

When does MS plan on starting It's marketing campaign?

I have not seen any commercials yet.