By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect : $500 million in marketing, Will be bigger than Jesus!

Wagram said:
Legend11 said:

Kinect may just save the industry from its current downward spiral and expand its audience well beyond even what the Wii managed to achieve.  So all gamers should be showing it and Microsoft some gratitude instead of the hate some are giving it.

Thanks Microsoft for selling me an overpriced tech that has issues that plays games that the eye toy had years ago.

/bow /bow *kisses feet*

Oh, you're of THOSE.

Nevermind lol

Around the Network
leatherhat said:

I imaging sony pictures is the bulk of the advertisement. And they seem to give SCE the go ahead to make a lot of games and buy lots of studios. Thats more important to me than how much they advertise. Like with this scenario, I'd rather have MS spend 500 million on making games than pimping a shitty new peripheral. 

That's not really how business works though.  It's not like Sony said, okay we have a marketing budget of 5 billion, but we're going to cut X amount off of that and give it to SCE so they can buy more studios.

Regardless,earlier someone in this thread said Sony couldn't compete with Microsofts advertising budget.  My only point is, YES they can, but they choose not too.

You could break it down to this: Microsoft is willing to invest more of thier advertising budget in XBOX then Sony "appears" to in the Playstation brand (given the lack of blockbuster advertising for Move, GTA).  This is a business decision...and I don't fault Sony or MS for that.

ON a side note, it is rather funny that because Microsoft IS willing to invest a ton of money in advertising their own project, this is somehow "bad".

Think of all the people you could help with that much money... sad really! 

They are going hardcore on Kinect.  Xbox fans this is your future.  Motion gaming is fun but not long lasting. i mean I haven't picked up the Move in a week.  They are all novelty!

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

TRios_Zen said:
leatherhat said:

I imaging sony pictures is the bulk of the advertisement. And they seem to give SCE the go ahead to make a lot of games and buy lots of studios. Thats more important to me than how much they advertise. Like with this scenario, I'd rather have MS spend 500 million on making games than pimping a shitty new peripheral. 

That's not really how business works though.  It's not like Sony said, okay we have a marketing budget of 5 billion, but we're going to cut X amount off of that and give it to SCE so they can buy more studios.

Regardless,earlier someone in this thread said Sony couldn't compete with Microsofts advertising budget.  My only point is, YES they can, but they choose not too.

You could break it down to this: Microsoft is willing to invest more of thier advertising budget in XBOX then Sony "appears" to in the Playstation brand (given the lack of blockbuster advertising for Move, GTA).  This is a business decision...and I don't fault Sony or MS for that.

ON a side note, it is rather funny that because Microsoft IS willing to invest a ton of money in advertising their own project, this is somehow "bad".

I'd be lying if I said I knew who sony distruibutes funds through its various enterprises. But I don know that MS has a nonexistent first party, Sony's gets better by the day, and MS is wasting money that could be used on making games. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Seriously, you sony people need to stop, your motives are blatantly obvious.

Around the Network

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Well it is starting tomorrow.

Kinect will be on Oprah tomorrow and Ellen later this month.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:

Well it is starting tomorrow.

Kinect will be on Oprah tomorrow and Ellen later this month.

will the be a live showing of kinect when its on OWS

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

theprof00 said:
Legend11 said:

Kinect may just save the industry from its current downward spiral and expand its audience well beyond even what the Wii managed to achieve.  So all gamers should be showing it and Microsoft some gratitude instead of the hate some are giving it.

Why do people keep bringing up this downward spiral?

Where's the proof?

But hardware sales are down 13%! :P

OT: Some people seem to miss that this is also going to spur interest in the system itself and that much of the money will come back from the software side.

Sure it's a big budget, but if the 2 billion development cost is true you should put it in perspective, as it would be adding just about 22% to the total volume needed to sell to break even if compared to a 50 mil budget. So either 500 mil is a much better deal than say 50 mil or they already got themselves way too deep in even before factoring this.

Bear in mind people, this marketing will boost Xbox 360 sales as well. They aren't just selling a perhiperal, they are also selling consoles and software.

This will be the 360's marketing for the holiday.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)