By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect : $500 million in marketing, Will be bigger than Jesus!

Wagram said:
Legend11 said:

Kinect may just save the industry from its current downward spiral and expand its audience well beyond even what the Wii managed to achieve.  So all gamers should be showing it and Microsoft some gratitude instead of the hate some are giving it.

Thanks Microsoft for selling me an overpriced tech that has issues that plays games that the eye toy had years ago.

/bow /bow *kisses feet*

You have no idea howmuch more advance Kinect is compared to eyetoy.

Watch this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT7hGBY5FZU

PS eye tech ends at 2 mark...rest is all new to Kinect

Around the Network

This just isn't making sense to me...they're going to have to sell like 20-25 million of these to get even close to breaking even...and I really don't think it will be that big when it costs $149.99 each.

Be kind of embarrasing if both Kinect and Move wind up being a core part of the next generation of gaming...it won't even be new technology.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Baalzamon said:

This just isn't making sense to me...they're going to have to sell like 20-25 million of these to get even close to breaking even...and I really don't think it will be that big when it costs $149.99 each.

Be kind of embarrasing if both Kinect and Move wind up being a core part of the next generation of gaming...it won't even be new technology.

That's a bit excessive. However they are taking a giant risk, if they fail the shareholders are going to be quite upset.

Baalzamon said:

mike from morgantown came up with a number of 16.67m units of kinect in order to break even on the R&D and the advertising.

This doesn't include cost of developing games, or refinements to the hardware itself, so we'll say 21m units need to be sold.

However, we're also looking at new 360 purchases along with new game purchases, and xbl subscriptions.

say 5m new subscriptions= 250m$
say 6-7m new consoles=300-500m$
say 6 million kinects= 300m$

and oh, 20-25m games= 1B-1.25B$

this totals to about 2-2.5B which is a good chunk of change, roughly the entire tech R&D and advertising budgets.

It's going to be hard to recoup all of that though, looking at it honestly, but putting in 500m in advertising is a good start.

psrock said:
theprof00 said:

I would love to work in MS' marketing department despite how much I despise the company as a whole.

They are probably one of the premier marketing departments in the world.

They are spending 1 billion dollars on Kinect and WP7 in the next 3 months alone. Sony was right, they can't compete with that.

And MS is adapting the same strategy elsewhere (Windows Phone 7, Zune & Bing)

PS. I don't give a crap about MS

Around the Network

Can somebody please define what exactly a success is just so I know 5 years down the road when some are saying it is a success and othres are not.

1.) Is a success based solely on the number of Kinect's sold (including the ones in bundles)...in this case, what is successful in 5 years...10 million, 20 million, more, less?

2.) Is a success based on Microsoft making profit on this...while this is very hard to calculate...lets assume that the total costs associated with R&D and advertising are 2.5 billion (one person said 2 billion for the R&D before, so I'm using that).  At $149.99 per Kinect, they would need to sell 16.67 million million assuming they are profiting $149.99 on each one.  They need to make them though, and I'm pretty sure the 2 billion does not include production and shipping out the consoles.  Lets assume that on average in the next 5 years, they make $50 per Kinect sold (this does not include extra 360's sold, nor does it include additioanl Live subscriptions...however if you do want to count the consoles, it is $50 cheaper to buy it paired, so there is really no additional profit there).  If they make $50 per, they would have to sell 50 million Kinects...that's more Kinects than there are 360's out there right now.  If this is a success, then it will never happen people, sorry.

3.) Or is a success a combination of the previous two options: Good sales, not making a profit, but at least not losing a billion dollars, but rather a number in the 100's of millions of dollars perhaps.  In this case, you are looking at sales of 20-25 million, which I still think is an insane number.

The only real plausible option to make it a "success" would be to look at solely sales, which would mean you need to indicate a number, and I think 10 or 15 million is a good number.

Microsoft is obviously going to lose money on this, but it is about what it might do to help them out in the future.

I think Kinect does really stand a chance at selling 10 or 15 million, but not more than 25 million (much more is needed for a profit when not including additional live subscriptions (which I really don't think would be that substantial).

Not trying to bash, I hope it is a huge success, the thing is sweet, my only concern is that video games are slowly moving away from controller only gaming, which really really scares me.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

daroamer said:
theprof00 said:

also @daroamer

can you prove that gaming is in decline?

Every chart I've seen consistently omits entire avenues of revenue like subscriptions or MMOs.

Aside from reading about the seemingly daily layoffs and studio closures you don't have to look any further than the first post in this thread:

"According to the latest NPD Group data, videogame hardware sales across the industry were down 19 percent in September compared to the same month a year ago.

So far this year, hardware sales are down 13 percent, to $3 billion, while video game software is off 8 percent to $4.93 billion."

Such fluctuations are common to the industry, even without the economical crises taken as a factor.

Serious_frusting said:
Jadedx said:
Serious_frusting said:
Jadedx said:
Serious_frusting said:

if this fails then can we assume M$ wont be staying in the gaming biz for too much longer?

Investors are already complaining

Yeah, you wish, Investors complained about Sony losing all the profits they've made on ps2 with the ps3 but they are still here. GTFO with that crap.

Why you being so confrontational for really. Am i not allowed to state something that investors and higher ups in M$ have been saying?

GTFO with your no one can say anything that isnt sucking up to my companies ass attitude.

Its only people like you and Wagram that I am being confrontational with, people who have no business being in the MS section, the ones who only come here to spread negative news and BS.

lol I dont come in here to course trouble. I post my opinion in any section. If you think i say things about the 360 then you should see some of the things i say about Sony. Most notably at the moment Polyphony Digital.

You are just moaning because everyone does not agree with the fact that Kinect is going to be a monster success, take over the gaming industry and save us from the end of the world. Honestly a lot of you really do sound funny. Yu should read what you type out loud so you can here yourself.

Like i already stsated everyone has an opinion. You dont see me personaly atacking you so calm down

Investors complain all the time, the extrapolation towards failure and MS leaving the gaming business is honestly similar to Wagram's level of bias

Hmm...that's a lot of chips... a lotta eggs in this Kinect basket.

The fact that they are comfortable spending this much makes me sad. Half a billion dollars over promoting a 5-year old console?

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

TRios_Zen said:
leatherhat said:
TRios_Zen said:

This is actually a very interesting discussion:  Sony's advertising budget for 2008 was ~5 Billion.  About 4 times as large as Microsofts.

Here are links so I'm not accused of fudging numbers (I'm sure these could be verified in SEC filings as well):

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/0315c95c-d3a9-11de-8caf-00144feabdc0.html 

http://techcrunch.com/2008/11/21/yup-apples-advertising-budget-is-bigger-than-microsoft-vistas/

So it would appear that Sony COULD compete with that budget for the Playstation division, but they choose not to.

Sony has a lot more to advertise than just playstation

Funny, I used this same argument in this very thread about Microsoft and Apple.  But you are of course correct, Sony does have more than just Playstation. 

As a fan of the Playstation brand though, aren't you a little interested in what value Sony Corp puts on the Playstation brand vis-a-vis the marketing dollars they use to support it?

I imaging sony pictures is the bulk of the advertisement. And they seem to give SCE the go ahead to make a lot of games and buy lots of studios. Thats more important to me than how much they advertise. Like with this scenario, I'd rather have MS spend 500 million on making games than pimping a shitty new peripheral. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype