By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Okamiiden is out, but can it sell 1million WW?

Okamiiden is out, but can it sell 1million WW?

Yes 28 31.11%

No 62 68.89%

Total:90

I am not sure the DS market can sustain many more million sellers (other than Pokemon).   Here are a few examples:

The new Kingdom Hearts game has had a dreadful start in Japan.

Also, the new Professor Layton game isn't selling very well in NA.  Someone above also provided Final Fantasy IV as an example of a poor selling DS game that should be performing better.

If these games can't sell that well, I have a less than optimistic outlook on  games like Okamiden and Super Scribblenauts.

I love the DS, but their momentum is currently hijacked by Apple, the impending 3DS, piracy, and a recession. 

Most anticipated games of 2011:

Uncharted 3,Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rocksmith

Modern Warfare 3, Super Mario 3D

Around the Network
Conegamer said:

5. With a lack of good DS games, this may be the DS' last Hurrah, in that sense it may have Nintendo backing which makes it all but a certainty.

The DS' last hurrah will hopefully be Ni no Kuni, not Okamiden.

I also hope those two big late 3rd party DS projects will sell above expectations worldwide, as they are my two most wanted DS games once Golden Sun is released, but I honestly doubt Okamiden will sell 1 million.

hiska-kun said:
Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
Boutros said:

Nope.

Nice, informative answer there. 

Back here we'd give that a U.

See Nordlead- he'll show you how to get top marks :)

There really isn't anything else to say. It just won't happen.

Just like the Wii would fail so hard that it'll have to pull out of HW production?

Or like how NSMBWii wouldn't sell more than 2mil max?

Trust me, there's not much you can predict. Brain Taining, Nintendogs, NSMBWii, Just Dance...all runaway successes. And no-one knows what the next one will be...

Aren't we talking about the DS here?

Okamiden is a niche Japanese game unlike all the ones you listed. It's pretty easy to predict that it won't reach one million.

Just look at this:

Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light (DS)
Square Enix
1 6,311 6,311

If the FF brand can't move software on the DS anymore, I don't see why the sequel to a game on another platform should.

Plus the game wasn't received as well as Okami.

Sorry, but this is not a good example. This FF is only available in english in europe. So, contries like France, Germany, Spain or Italy are not going to buy this game.

Really? Well I never knew that, if that's the case it's stupid. Not the first stupid thing that Squeenix have done this gen, mind

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

okr said:
Conegamer said:

5. With a lack of good DS games, this may be the DS' last Hurrah, in that sense it may have Nintendo backing which makes it all but a certainty.

I also hope those two big late 3rd party DS projects will sell above expectations worldwide, as they are my two most wanted DS games once Golden Sun is released, but I honestly doubt Okamiden will sell 1 million.

You reckon? It'll be big in Japan, but I doubt it will overseas...

Conegamer said:
okr said:
Conegamer said:

here in the U.K, all they have to say is that it is made by the people who developed Prof Layton and the character design done by the same people who did Spirited Away.  That alone will mean probably 600k in Europe.

Nintendo really missed an oppotunity when marketing DQIX, they should have stated that it was made by Level 58.  I mean just look how much we love Prof Layton.  The 1st one was sold out for several weeks here in the U.K following launch.

PosGameAmericasJapanEMEAAWorldwide
Professor Layton and the Curious Village(DS)
Nintendo
1.16 1.03 2.54 4.73
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box(DS)
Nintendo
0.59 0.92 1.81 3.32

Around the Network
MrT-Tar said:
Conegamer said:
okr said:
Conegamer said:

here in the U.K, all they have to say is that it is made by the people who developed Prof Layton and the character design done by the same people who did Spirited Away.  That alone will mean probably 600k in Europe.

Nintendo really missed an oppotunity when marketing DQIX, they should have stated that it was made by Level 58.  I mean just look how much we love Prof Layton.  The 1st one was sold out for several weeks here in the U.K following launch.

PosGameAmericasJapanEMEAAWorldwide
Professor Layton and the Curious Village(DS)
Nintendo
1.16 1.03 2.54 4.73
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box(DS)
Nintendo
0.59 0.92 1.81 3.32

It's true, I LOVE ME SOME LAYTON! WHY ISN'T IT OUT ALREADY!

*firebombs NoE office out of fury*

I love okami but im gonna say around 500,000-600,000

Mad55 said:

Really? That's below the Wii version...

Conegamer said:
Mad55 said:

Really? That's below the Wii version...

hmm the wii version only sold 350,000 in japan and america?

hmmmm, as much as I love Okami I can't see Okamiden hitting the 1 million mark. However, because it's on the DS it doesn't need to sell 1 mil to be financially successful. Hopefully America pulls their weight with this unlike last time