By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Okamiiden is out, but can it sell 1million WW?

Okamiiden is out, but can it sell 1million WW?

Yes 28 31.11%

No 62 68.89%

Total:90
Conegamer said:
Boutros said:

Nope.

Nice, informative answer there. 

Back here we'd give that a U.

See Nordlead- he'll show you how to get top marks :)

There really isn't anything else to say. It just won't happen.

Around the Network
appolose said:

Okamiden is out?  I did not know that...

Only in Japan I'm afraid, though hopefully it'll give us some indication of how well it'll do at retail

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
Boutros said:

Nope.

Just like the Wii would fail so hard that it'll have to pull out of HW production?

Or like how NSMBWii wouldn't sell more than 2mil max?

Trust me, there's not much you can predict. Brain Taining, Nintendogs, NSMBWii, Just Dance...all runaway successes. And no-one knows what the next one will be...

Conegamer said:
Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
Boutros said:

Nope.

Just like the Wii would fail so hard that it'll have to pull out of HW production?

Trust me, there's not much you can predict. Brain Taining, Nintendogs, NSMBWii, Just Dance...all runaway successes. And no-one knows what the next one will be...

Aren't we talking about the DS here?

Okamiden is a niche Japanese game unlike all the ones you listed. It's pretty easy to predict that it won't reach one million.

Just look at this:

Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light (DS)
Square Enix
1 6,311 6,311

If the FF brand can't move software on the DS anymore, I don't see why the sequel to a game on another platform should.

Plus the game wasn't received as well as Okami.

Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
Boutros said:

Nope.

Okamiden is a niche Japanese game unlike all the ones you listed. It's pretty easy to predict that it won't reach one million.

Just look at this:

Square Enix
1 6,311 6,311

If the FF brand can't move software on the DS anymore, I don't see why the sequel to a game on another platform should.

You're making it sound as though it's happened. It's only happened in Japan, and Japan is weird. To us, anyway...

Also, those are DIRE FF sales in any capacity. Where has it gone so wrong? Oh, yeah, generally poor reviews, better games coming out and 0 advertising may do it...

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
Boutros said:

Nope.

Just look at this:

Square Enix
1 6,311 6,311

You're making it sound as though it's happened. It's only happened in Japan, and Japan is weird. To us, anyway...

Also, those are DIRE FF sales in any capacity. Where has it gone so wrong? Oh, yeah, generally poor reviews, better games coming out and 0 advertising may do it...

I expect the same for Okamiden. Perhaps some better scores but not all that much.

Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
Boutros said:

Nope.

Just look at this:

Square Enix
1 6,311 6,311

I expect the same for Okamiden. Perhaps some better scores but not all that much.

Sadly, that's what I'm worried about. It CAN break 1 million, but almost any game can. It just needs to be advertised well, and hopefully Capcom have learned from Monster Hunter Tri that a well-advertised game can sell well, even if it is niche...

COME ON CAPCOM! YOU CAN DO IT!

Conegamer said:
Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
Boutros said:

Nope.

Just look at this:

Square Enix
1 6,311 6,311

Sadly, that's what I'm worried about. It CAN break 1 million, but almost any game can. It just needs to be advertised well, and hopefully Capcom have learned from Monster Hunter Tri that a well-advertised game can sell well, even if it is niche...

COME ON CAPCOM! YOU CAN DO IT!

*Looks at Bionic Commando, Dark Void and Lost Planet 2*

Capcom isn't the best at advertising it's products I'm afraid.

Conegamer said:
Boutros said:

As soon as it first released and the masses got their hands on Wii Sports everyone should have realized that Nintendo was printing gold blocks and selling them for $250 each. (sadly not many did as we were so ingraned in believing that Nintendo was doomed for last)

Those denying NSMBWii wouldn't sell like crazy were crazy.

Nintendogs and Brain Training are much more mainstream, so 1m isn't unbelievable, but I'm sure no one expected 20m.

Just Dance is the only true one in a million hit you've listed, but it does have popular appeal that was executed well enough.

Now, none of the examples you listed really had a precedent showing that they would perform under a certain level, while Okamiden does. Okamiden is the inferior little brother to Okami and the DS has a broader spectrum of owners than the PS2 did (so more "non gamers" if you will)

My 800k prediction is pretty much the upper bound of reasonable sales expectations. As I said, I can't rule 1m out, as it isn't as set in stone as say Safari Adventures: Africa would never break 1m. But to break 1m would be an amazing success. Now I wouldn't be surprised by anyone who took Broutros' stance as mine is a realistic optimistic view where as his isn't.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
Boutros said:
Conegamer said:
Boutros said:

Nope.

Just look at this:

Square Enix
1 6,311 6,311

Sorry, but this is not a good example. This FF is only available in english in europe. So, contries like France, Germany, Spain or Italy are not going to buy this game.

Media Create Annual Archive (Spanish version)

http://zonaforo.meristation.com/topic/2246651/