By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Okamiiden is out, but can it sell 1million WW?

Okamiiden is out, but can it sell 1million WW?

Yes 28 31.11%

No 62 68.89%

Total:90

I reckon it can. I reckon the original is severally undertracked, and whilst never reaching a million, was pretty darn close. The sequel will likely do it because:

1. It will be going to a larger customer base

2. DS owners LOVE dogs- look at Nntendogs

3. It will likely be advertised better to sell to this market

4. The lower price point means more people may end up taking the punt

5. With a lack of good DS games, this may be the DS' last Hurrah, in that sense it may have Nintendo backing which makes it all but a certainty.

So, what do you think? For reference, it's at around 80,000 in Japan after 1 week.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

Okami wasn't severly undertracked. Based on Capcom (Sev's) statements VGChartz is even high on Wii version sales. To top it off, it just flat out wasn't tracked, as VGC doesn't have NA/EMEAA sales for the PS2 version and doesn't have EMEAA sales for the Wii version.

anyways, to address your points

1) PS2 had over 110m units sold when it was released. I wouldn't count the DS with 135m sold as a much larger potential customer base. While PS2's were bought to replace older broken models, DS's are bought for multiple people in the same household.

2) nintendogs has nothing to do with Okami

3) I sorta doubt it. Capcom doesn't seem to care to much about Okami.

4) Lower price for games hasn't equated to higher sales. DS has 105 million sellers comapred to the Wii's 85. I'd say that is fairly close for the larger install base and extra years on the market. If you want direct comparisons look at a lot of the liscensed games which sell better on PS360 than any other system (like Spider-man 3 for example)

5) Pokemon Black/White just came out. I doubt many people will see Okamiden as the DS's last hurrah and Nintendo has their own games to advertise.

Anyways, I can see Okamiden getting 200k max in Japan, and 300k each in NA and PAL territories for 800k total. I'm not rulling out breaking 1m but it'll have performed extremely well.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

After the 2nd week sales in Japan I think more than ~150k in the region will be a struggle. Releasing the game next year in the West probably around the time of the 3DS will take away some of the interest in the game I think. ~500k worldwide is the best the game can realiastically hope for I think.

I highly doubt it, and I also highly doubt it needs to.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Nope.

Around the Network

They'll reach 1 Million... with the added sales of the iPhone version... you heard it here first.. Capcom will port it after Dead Rising...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

nordlead said:

Okami wasn't severly undertracked. Based on Capcom (Sev's) statements VGChartz is even high on Wii version sales. To top it off, it just flat out wasn't tracked, as VGC doesn't have NA/EMEAA sales for the PS2 version and doesn't have EMEAA sales for the Wii version.

anyways, to address your points

1) PS2 had over 110m units sold when it was released. I wouldn't count the DS with 135m sold as a much larger potential customer base. While PS2's were bought to replace older broken models, DS's are bought for multiple people in the same household.

2) nintendogs has nothing to do with Okami

3) I sorta doubt it. Capcom doesn't seem to care to much about Okami.

4) Lower price for games hasn't equated to higher sales. DS has 105 million sellers comapred to the Wii's 85. I'd say that is fairly close for the larger install base and extra years on the market. If you want direct comparisons look at a lot of the liscensed games which sell better on PS360 than any other system (like Spider-man 3 for example)

5) Pokemon Black/White just came out. I doubt many people will see Okamiden as the DS's last hurrah and Nintendo has their own games to advertise.

Anyways, I can see Okamiden getting 200k max in Japan, and 300k each in NA and PAL territories for 800k total. I'm not rulling out breaking 1m but it'll have performed extremely well.

This is pretty much what I reckon. I feel, however, if any one of these factors go for the game, it could well tip it over the edge, and into the 1million barrier

Boutros said:

Nope.

Nice, informative answer there. 

Back here we'd give that a U.

See Nordlead- he'll show you how to get top marks :)

ANYWAY, from what I've seen, it would appear as though most people reckon it'll be close, around 850k, but won't get over. I suppose we'll have to see what the legs are like in Japan

Okamiden is out?  I did not know that...

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz