By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official NPD Sept 2010 Thread (5 wks ending Oct 3, at 6:30 PM EST)

Euphoria14 said:

You know, many will act like it is no big deal, but never has this happened to a first place console. Especially one that had such a commanding presence over it's competitors.

This would mark a monumental collapse.Even worse than my NY Mets missing out on the playoffs despite having a 7 1/2 game lead with 17 games to play.

Eh, do you have the data for previous consoles though? I'm pretty sure all consoles since the SNES had close sales at one point.

PS2 vs Xbox (see 2004)

N64 v PS1 (holidays? Wish I could get numbers)
December 1998's NPD

Nothing on Genesis-SNES, but we all know it was a close race.

Not to take anything away from the 360's great sales this year, of course. Just think the "never been done before" is a bit exaggerated - it's not like we all kept watch over sales week after week in the previous gens.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Seece said:
JusticeforAll said:

You can find it on GAF: According to Pachter PS3 sold 312,000.

I actually just created a user name to express my disgust at the wording of the initial NPD article on this site. What a POOR AND OBVIOUS attempt by Mr. Jacob Mazel to bury Microsoft's success by completing re-arranging the article by NPD to take away its main topic. The FOCUS of the NPD release was the 360 and Halo Reach and this dude buried that info and somehow was able to feature the PS3 and PSP in the first paragraph, the consoles that had NO numbers released. Things like that doesn't help this site achieve credibility. Mr. Jacob Mazel...

312, impressive!

agree

lol why the hell aren't SONY saying anything about this? lol

Because Microsoft's numbers are higher?

But this is like only the 2nd or 3rd time PS3 has beat the Wii in America in a month.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

c0rd said:
Euphoria14 said:

You know, many will act like it is no big deal, but never has this happened to a first place console. Especially one that had such a commanding presence over it's competitors.

This would mark a monumental collapse.Even worse than my NY Mets missing out on the playoffs despite having a 7 1/2 game lead with 17 games to play.

Eh, do you have the data for previous consoles though? I'm pretty sure all consoles since the SNES had close sales at one point.

PS2 vs Xbox (see 2004)

N64 v PS1 (holidays? Wish I could get numbers)
December 1998's NPD

Nothing on Genesis-SNES, but we all know it was a close race.

True but the Wii is the same console that rose in sales in GTAIV month 

I still remember gifs with

PS3 - 166K

Xbox 360 - 170K

IN GTA 4 Month

Wii -- 280K

Just another month

That system is now not at the top in any given region.

Grr!! My thread was closed.

It's okay Boutros!

We can celebrate the HD sales in this thread!!

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

It's okay Boutros!

AWESOME HD SALES WII GOT PWNED!!

*Playing Mario Kart Wii*

ethomaz said:

Because Microsoft's numbers are higher?

I don't think that's the case. Their numbers are not bad even if they are lower than Microsoft's. The only reason Sony would not brag about this increase is most likely because it has something to do with Move than anything else. Everything from their articles of how they are expecting steady sales, slow-burning, etc etc....seems to point to the idea that Move didn't preform very well in the US.

50,000 PS3's over last month is not all that great considering Move launched. Think about it. Considering Move REQUIRES a PS3 to work that means only 50,000 new customers over a typical month, both hardcore and casual combined.

That's not all that great. Move is not bringing in anyone new. And that's what it was supposed to do.

It's their biggest product launch for them in sometime in the videogame industry and they don't release any solid launch numbers? Not even spinned like they did in Europe? That's HIGHLY suspect. Public investors won't be pleased either.

Boutros said:
Carl2291 said:

It's okay Boutros!

AWESOME HD SALES WII GOT PWNED!!

*Playing Mario Kart Wii*

Reported.

@Carl2291

GO HD , DS AND PSP!

But overall HD sales are down 49K YoY, PS3 ofc being down 180K and XBox gains not making up for it. Wii is falling more, but Wii failing on it's own lack of software doesn't suddenly make the HD console numbers great. Truth is, XBox is doing well, PS3 is doing poorly, and Wii is doing abysmally. Overall, there is nothing here to celebrate, the industry is in rapid decline.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

darthdevidem01 said:

True but the Wii is the same console that rose in sales in GTAIV month 

I still remember gifs with

PS3 - 166K

Xbox 360 - 170K

IN GTA 4 Month

Wii -- 280K

Just another month

That system is now not at the top in any given region.

Actually, it was ~190k's vs... ~715k!

It really wasn't actually "just another month," though, Mario Kart Wii came out and a ton of Wii's were shipped in (back when Wii's were still sold out). Exaggeration on the Wii fans' part, of course, coming back to haunt us!

edit: Oh, you listed NPD 2010's numbers