By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Fans, who do you want see OUT of the console race?

I'm not particularly concerned about Sega's exist of the console market myself (nor am I wishing that Sony fans feel the loss of their favorite company, it wasn't their fault), I think they would have been forced out even if Sony was not playing 'razors and blades'. My issue with this general strategy is that it has a profound effect on the overall industry. Part of this strategy is the subsidization of development for the platform, which has helped to encourage bloated budgets, and third parties have also exploited this by playing Sony and MS against each other, and both against Nintendo. I think the games industry will be a lot healthier when this practice ends, even if it means going through a crash first.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
Severance said:
KungKras said:
Severance said:
MDMAniac said:
KungKras said:

I'll never get over the loss of the greatest rival that Nintendo ever had :)

The only rival to Nintendo is Nintendo themselves.

what about Sony ? PS1 and PS2 days?

They are so different in style from Nitnendo and Sega that they shouldn't be considered a rival.

how so ? they're japanese ?

It's hard to explain. But I'll try.

Sega was like Nintendo in that they are both pure games companies, both relied on first party games to compete and to drive hardware install bases, both have a mascot that are the face of the company, and they have similar licensing practices.

Sony does not have a platformer that is the face of the company They have platformers, sure, but no mascots, and none of their characters is the face of the company the way Sonic or Mario is. They rely on undercutting hardware and paying third parties for exclusives in order to compete and drive install base.

I just think that Sony is too different from Nintendo to be considered a rival. Sure, they are a competitor, but they compete on very different terms whereas Nintendo and Sega competed against each other identically, and thus were rivals.

I LOVE ICELAND!

I don't think I'd wanna see anyone out of the console race, as competition does encourage creativity. I would, however, like to see certain business practices come to an end. Things like selling a system at a loss despite it costing an exorbitant amount already (Sony mostly, but Microsoft is guilty of this as well), forcing people to pay to play online (Microsoft), and generally encouraging the myth that only games with huge marketing, bloated budgets, and razzle-dazzle out the wazoo can truly succeed.

This isn't so I'll accept them again, it's to keep them from drowning themselves in a sea of red ink.

Anybody who tries to stop the 3DS should perish.

Sony out Sega back in.

They were worthy rivals.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

Around the Network

Nintendogamer said:
darthdevidem01 said:

As the biggest Nintendo fan on this site I would say Apple!

Huh you are defintly not the biggest Nintnedo fan on the site.

I agree. According to the "Biggest Nintendo Fan" it is The Ghost of RubangB. 

Rainbow Yoshi said:
Nintendogamer said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Thanks Rain-Yosh.  Can't let these imposters steal my title.  I earned it with years of meticulous worship, princess rescuing, and stealth trolling.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:
Nintendogamer said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Thanks Rain-Yosh.  Can't let these imposters steal my title.  I earned it with years of meticulous worship, princess rescuing, and stealth trolling.

I wonder if another "Biggest Nintendo Fan" will be created? Would you be willing to sacrifice your title (though I think you have a high chance of winning again)?

Anyway, I hope Microsoft leave the console race. Their key franchise is on hold which could slow sales.

I don't really want to see anybody out as much as I want to see Sega back in somehow. Seriously seeing a Dreamcast 2 would bring me so much joy.